LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Center diff accuator motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-09, 11:11 PM
Traveler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center diff accuator motor

Me center diff is on the fritz. the switch powers the motor and i can hear the solinoid CLICK but the bar does not ram into place. Dash light shows teh system is not engaged.

Not good. I can't go play without someway of getting her all linked up. Be shoveling sand or mud all day to get out even with a winch.

Sewell reports a replacement motor is between $800-900 which is a bit of a bite.

We have banged on the side of it like the good apes we are. Hoping to knock the little bugger into sense and let the solinoid slip him home. No dice.

Any ideas? I want to get down to the NC coast and get some photos of bears and gators between 64 and 264.

Oh yeh, she is a 2001 LX with the big Nitto Terras, ARB bull and Warn 10000 interior control. 109K and 5 cross Americas to her credit.

Thanks.

wombat
Old 06-17-09, 05:32 AM
Hoser
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy a new CDL actuator motor just yet. Two possibilities I can think of... the actuator motor might just need to be removed and worked a bit OR the CDL motor is actually working but the CDL indicator ball switch (on the T-case) is not working properly. In which case, it can be also removed and worked. It's just a spring loaded ball switch. The switch gives the indication on your dash that the CDL is locked, as well as signals the ECU, it is okay to engage the rear locker (which most of us don't have).

You could also jump the wire to the switch (lighting up the dash) and trying to activate the CDL button. I would investigate the ball-switch first as it is easier accessed on the passenger side rear of the T-case. The CDL motor is not as easy to get to, IIRC, it is on top and might require lowering the T-case some. You could even just take a 9-volt batter on the CDL motor leads and tap it or have somebody you trust work the switch while you get underneath and listen for the motor.
Old 07-28-09, 09:17 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Could you check by going uner the chassis and check whether there is a leak around the actuator. It will look like a small black box by the side of the drive shaft. HAve a look at the snap. If it is, that's it, it is fried, you have to change the actuator, I had one of those similar symptoms as what you have mentioned, I went into a lot of troubleshooting before the purchase, This unit cannot be repaired, though you can open in, it has got lot of gears within when as soon as you open there is a small steel ball which relegates the gear ad this gets dislodged and i just could not place the ball in its shell and this moves along a channel once it receive the signal from the ECT that it has to get 4x4 engaged. This replacement you can do it at home provided you have the scan tool to erase the cluster warning "4x4 Slip car sign". or the dealer after the new fix. Sorry to hear about it.
Attached Thumbnails Center diff accuator motor-actuator.jpg  

Last edited by mann777; 07-28-09 at 09:26 PM.