LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Does the LX have enough power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-02, 06:10 AM
LexFather

I hear ya VQ, but if I can pay 15k and 55k for basically the same thing, that bugs me a lil. I agree, Chevy/GMC trucks are very tough but who honestly drives ANY Escalade over anything resembling dirt?

Only what, 800 LXs sold a month, that is exclusivity!

LX has never lost any SUV comparo for those interested. Never. Even though it is not involved in the HP wars, the overall package makes it a winner all the time.
Old 05-11-02, 01:01 PM
VQPOWER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I hear ya VQ, but if I can pay 15k and 55k for basically the same thing, that bugs me a lil. I agree, Chevy/GMC trucks are very tough but who honestly drives ANY Escalade over anything resembling dirt?
Good point. At least this time Caddy at least makes an effort to differentiate...and I think they've done a good job this time. (The last Escalade was an absolute joke......I pity the people who wasted their money on one!!!)

[i]Only what, 800 LXs sold a month, that is exclusivity![/B]
Yes it is....they sure are nice trucks...I like the white ones- they look so elegant.

[i]LX has never lost any SUV comparo for those interested. Never. Even though it is not involved in the HP wars, the overall package makes it a winner all the time. [/B]
I agree that pretty much nothing can touch the LX in terms of refinement, and it is a winner. But if I was going to plop down 60k for an SUV, it wouldn't be one that's outpowered by almost every 6 cylinder SUV costing less than half the price. Today people demand serious performance from even SUV's, and in that area the LX falls way short.
Old 05-11-02, 09:40 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HP again

"I agree that pretty much nothing can touch the LX in terms of refinement, and it is a winner. But if I was going to plop down 60k for an SUV, it wouldn't be one that's outpowered by almost every 6 cylinder SUV costing less than half the price. Today people demand serious performance from even SUV's, and in that area the LX falls way short."

Am I missing something here? I was not aware that 'almost every 6 cylinder SUV' can go 0 to 60 in 9.9sec. Is that right? To the best of my knowledge -- very few, if any. Not even very many V8-ts.

And nobody talks 'torque' here either? Why not to just look it up in the papers?
Old 05-11-02, 10:53 PM
VQPOWER
Rookie

Default Re: HP again

Originally posted by AKoch
"I agree that pretty much nothing can touch the LX in terms of refinement, and it is a winner. But if I was going to plop down 60k for an SUV, it wouldn't be one that's outpowered by almost every 6 cylinder SUV costing less than half the price. Today people demand serious performance from even SUV's, and in that area the LX falls way short."

Am I missing something here? I was not aware that 'almost every 6 cylinder SUV' can go 0 to 60 in 9.9sec. Is that right? To the best of my knowledge -- very few, if any. Not even very many V8-ts.

And nobody talks 'torque' here either? Why not to just look it up in the papers?

Most competent SUV's of today are faster than 9.9. And even if they wern't, the LX is simply average in terms of performance. For 60k, I want more than adequate. The X5 does it in 6.6, the Escalade does it in 7.4, the ML500 in 6.8, and to prove my "V6 point", the new Bravada (w/ 270hp) does it in 7.9. Almost every decent SUV I can think of outpowers and outperfroms (in performance) the LX. Even dismal Isuzu matches the LX in horsepower. Ford's SUV's beat it, even the sloppy Expedition(9.6) BTW, the V8 Explorer does it in 8 flat. The last three I mentioned don't even compare to the LX, but they perform better, which is all I was trying to say. For the money Lexus wants for it, they need to get HP competitive. Throw in a 300+HP motor and it would be on my list.
Old 05-12-02, 11:11 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Default To VQ

"Throw in a 300+HP motor and it would be on my list"

See what happens.....
- Option one: 300+HP with the same engine size will result in less torque, and less then ideal torque curve. Bad for off-road, and bad for all-around city driving.
- Option two: bigger engine will result in these 300+HP with bigger torque. Sounds nice as far as numbers are concerned. There is one thing called engineer though - which is not often appriciated here. Heavier engine will not help off-road capabilities of this amazing vehicle, and handlig will suffer also. In fact the current V8 is a bit too large and too big in size that Toyota had to do some compromises, rigid front axle as an option as an example. V6 versions of TLC100 do have it available if you need it elsewhere.

Just IMHO -- there is plenty other fine vehicle like X5 with lots of what you need. Why even consider looking at the LX then?

What I want to say actually is if they change the vehicle the way you're suggesting -- I myself would have to be looking elsewhere, which I do not want to do at all
Old 05-13-02, 06:13 AM
LexFather

Well I see both views. In this months issue of CAr & Driver ( the mustang on the cover) they test the new Lincoln. Of course they did not like it and they pointed out that while torque is up, the 300hp rating is the same and they basically said for these big vehicles, you NEED 345 and up hp to move these big trucks. I can see that.

Or just slap the TRD supercharger in!

I think the next LX will have a hp increase OR a completely different engine because the GX (which is 15k cheaper) has the same identical engine.
Old 05-14-02, 10:04 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

The lincoln is also underpowered, but its one phat truck.
Old 05-15-02, 09:17 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: HP again

Originally posted by VQPOWER

Most competent SUV's of today are faster than 9.9. And even if they wern't, the LX is simply average in terms of performance. For 60k, I want more than adequate. The X5 does it in 6.6, the Escalade does it in 7.4, the ML500 in 6.8, and to prove my "V6 point", the new Bravada (w/ 270hp) does it in 7.9. Almost every decent SUV I can think of outpowers and outperfroms (in performance) the LX. Even dismal Isuzu matches the LX in horsepower. Ford's SUV's beat it, even the sloppy Expedition(9.6) BTW, the V8 Explorer does it in 8 flat. The last three I mentioned don't even compare to the LX, but they perform better, which is all I was trying to say. For the money Lexus wants for it, they need to get HP competitive. Throw in a 300+HP motor and it would be on my list.
You said it, nearly every other SUV beats the LX in terms of acceleration and handling. These areas are clearly not where the LX was designed to excel -- if these are important to you then another vehicle SHOULD be your choice as you will not be happy. I won't even comment on the comparison with Izuzu, Ford and Oldsmobile -- enjoy your ownership experience if you go with those! Whoops, perhaps a small comment. The X5 is a city SAV and if I were to only have one vehicle that very well could be it. The problem I have with the BMW, Mercedes and Caddy are related to vehicle quality and dealership experience. Your mileage may vary, no specific slander implied or intended.

My personal experience, yes it has enough power. Would it be nicer if it had more power, handled better AND retained all those things that make it what it is... Darn right it would! If I want to drive fast and furious I drive the GS, and even that would be nicer if it had more power and handled better... Now that's another story!
Old 05-15-02, 09:38 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

The original ??? was that this guy wanted an SUV that had luxury, speed, and space... i guess the LX isnt one of his choices.
Old 05-15-02, 09:54 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Toog4me
The original ??? was that this guy wanted an SUV that had luxury, speed, and space... i guess the LX isnt one of his choices.
Ah, you got me. Got to start at the beginning! Based on the original question, No. If dserban is looking for "OOmph", the LX is not the vehicle he should be looking at.

Last edited by redgs4; 05-15-02 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-16-02, 05:17 PM
dserban
Driver

Well, I end up compromising and I got an Acura MDX. Does not have the LX's luxury but it has more power and plenty of space.

I am waiting for the GX or LX next generation, since I do like the Lexus better.

Thank you for all your comments.
Old 05-17-02, 07:07 AM
LexFather

I guess looks were not part of the equation either.
Well good luck, maybe we'll see u around.
Old 05-17-02, 09:44 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Nice minivan! ;0)

I have a friend with Odissey -- he loves it: nice, spacious, reliable. Good choice overall, seriously.
Old 05-19-02, 03:41 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

you guys are mean... lol... i like the MDX, it has some power, good for cruizin, but not a lot of space for your furniture... but its really comfy and good nav system...