LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

GPS Screen Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-02, 11:51 AM
Phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Screen Scratches

I wrote about a month or so ago about how, if at all, could scratches on the GPS screen be removed. A resounding NO was the answer and replacement (at a very high cost) would be the only answer. I got my '02 470 in November and was using a very soft cloth on the screen to remove fingerprints. Worked great, BUT one day I developed a case of Extreme Stupid and used an everyday towel used for wiping off the dashboard, etc. Didn't notice the scratches until too late. I was sick, sick, sick.

Long story short, I took my Lexus in for regular service and mentioned my problem to the Service Manager. He said "No problem, I will cover it under warranty and have a new GPS unit in next week". Sure enough, took it in and now "my world is right".

Big Kuddos to Kendell Lexus, Eugene, Oregon!!!!

P.S. Use a VERY SOFT cloth to clean screen. If anyone has even a safer idea, I would love to hear it. Thanks for listening. Phil
Old 04-15-02, 10:01 PM
treynor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if the screen cover is soft plastic (suspect it is). If so, there are plenty of plastic polishes out there which will remove the small scratches which a paper towel will leave. Motorcyclists deal with this problem all the time (think: plastic windscreen, plastic helmet visor) and we have products available to solve it.