LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

iPod for 2000 LX (Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 01:54 PM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod for 2000 LX (Searched)

So I am really confused after reading some stuff about iPod adapters for LX's. I would really like to get one for my '00 w/nak system but the people at VAIS said that there was not one available...is there one that will work?
Old 01-17-10, 09:59 AM
bill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4RBoarder
So I am really confused after reading some stuff about iPod adapters for LX's. I would really like to get one for my '00 w/nak system but the people at VAIS said that there was not one available...is there one that will work?
I am also looking for something to connect my ipod to a 2000 LX.
Old 01-17-10, 05:03 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

It ain't going to happen. The LX was much further behind in getting its audio system architecture updated to accept iPod interface devices than other Lexus vehicles. I'm in the same boat with my 2000 LS400. Your choices are to do a messy CD cable hack (search the audio forum for how), an FM modulator, or a cassette tape interface. There is also a guy on eBay ("Factoryradios") who supposedly will add an RCA jack to any Lexus radio head unit for about $60 but he didn't respond when I contacted him recently.

Lately I've been wishing I had bought a used LS430 in 2003 instead of the 2000 LS400 I bought -- I coulda had a plug and play VAIS iPod adapter in the LS430.
Old 01-18-10, 06:09 PM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
It ain't going to happen. The LX was much further behind in getting its audio system architecture updated to accept iPod interface devices than other Lexus vehicles. I'm in the same boat with my 2000 LS400. Your choices are to do a messy CD cable hack (search the audio forum for how), an FM modulator, or a cassette tape interface. There is also a guy on eBay ("Factoryradios") who supposedly will add an RCA jack to any Lexus radio head unit for about $60 but he didn't respond when I contacted him recently.

Lately I've been wishing I had bought a used LS430 in 2003 instead of the 2000 LS400 I bought -- I coulda had a plug and play VAIS iPod adapter in the LS430.
Great, I thought the connectors in the back of the unit were the same regardless of whether it was a ML or Nak...I hate my cassette adapter
Old 02-21-10, 01:31 PM
Tankroman
Driver School Candidate

Default Stereo unit and iPod's

Kansas if you hear back from that person and have it done, please post it. I have a 2000 LX which the CD player and cassett player have died on and trying to listen to a transmitter for the iPod is like nails on a chalk board. I have considered swapping it out for an after market radio. I am concerned with getting it to look right though. Anybody thought of an XM modulator? This was one suggestion, but I can't seem to find anything on it for this model. Appreciate the help.
Old 02-21-10, 03:49 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Tankroman
Kansas if you hear back from that person and have it done, please post it. I have a 2000 LX which the CD player and cassett player have died on and trying to listen to a transmitter for the iPod is like nails on a chalk board. I have considered swapping it out for an after market radio. I am concerned with getting it to look right though. Anybody thought of an XM modulator? This was one suggestion, but I can't seem to find anything on it for this model. Appreciate the help.
You could try contacting eBay seller factoryradios yourself if you are interested in his AUX-in modification. I contacted him for a friend to see if would repair his Nakamichi since no one else does anymore -- his not getting back to me may have been his way of telling me no ... he's a busy guy. My own Nakamichi is working perfectly so I'm just going to tough it out and use the CD changer until the Nak fails and I go aftermarket or I get a different primary vehicle.

Hard to believe I never tried it before now, but since my last post I've gotten pretty efficient at creating music playlists and burning them on CD's -- proves that even a geezer can do it. I seem to be able to get far more music tracks on a burned CD than the 12 to 20 tracks I usually find on a commercially available music CD. For some reason I got the idea in my head that older Lexus CD changers couldn't play burned CD's but the one in my 2000 LS400 handles burned CD's containing converted MP3's just fine and they sound great.

I've got several 6-CD cartridges loaded up with commercial and burned CD's so I don't have to go through the hassle of reloading CD's very often.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-21-10 at 03:53 PM.