LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

A/C lines need repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 11:31 AM
koolkevinj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C lines need repair

My A/C isn't working on my 2004 LX. Took it to the dealer who told me 3 A/C lines are leaking. They quoted me $1200 for the repair. (This is after they charged me $300 to find out why it isn't working.)

I have no idea what it really takes to replace these lines. A couple questions...
1. Does this price sound reasonable?
2. Does anyone know an indie shop in the Chicago area that can handle this for me?

Thanks,
kj sr
Old 06-03-10, 07:10 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by koolkevinj
My A/C isn't working on my 2004 LX. Took it to the dealer who told me 3 A/C lines are leaking. They quoted me $1200 for the repair. (This is after they charged me $300 to find out why it isn't working.)

I have no idea what it really takes to replace these lines. A couple questions...
1. Does this price sound reasonable?
2. Does anyone know an indie shop in the Chicago area that can handle this for me?

Thanks,
kj sr
Koolkevinj Im in the same dilemna on my 2002 LX470. The part is ~150 at the Lexus dealer. If i end up replacing the line i may stop by the toyota dealership and get the a/c line for a 2002 landcruiser which should be the same thing but cheaper. At the lexus dealerhsip they want $1100 in labor which is outrageous. I found a shop that estimated minimum it would cost $300 to replace it. A-Len radiator wants $475 to clamp/splice it. Only 1 line is leaking for me. Its the high pressure/slimmer line that starts under the passenger side tire and goes back to the rear ac clamp. It was most likely due to the metal shield which was right in front of the line. It was rusted and probably rubbed onto the a/c line.

Did you ever get your lines fixed up? Im thinking of finding some welder either in Chicago or the suburbs. Keep me posted on if you found a solution or if you are in the process of getting it fixed. Its neat that we are both in IL so i can keep you updated if i find a solution. Gonna do some more research but so far welding the hole seems like my best option.

Last edited by elite7; 06-03-10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-08-10, 01:59 PM
koolkevinj
Driver School Candidate

Elite7,

Someone recommended an independent shop in Brookfield, IL called Sam's Euro-Asian. I took the truck there. He only found 1 line leaking and he replaced it for a little less than $600.

This was the first time I've taken the truck to a non-Lexus shop so I was reluctant. My truck is a 2004 so I figured it's time to find a good mechanic for stuff like this. I was impressed with this shop and his explanation of what needed to be done. Plus he guarantees his work for 2 years. Everything works fine now. I've been checking for any other leaks and I don't see anything so hopefully I'm good.

Good luck

Kevin
Old 06-08-10, 08:57 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by koolkevinj
Elite7,

Someone recommended an independent shop in Brookfield, IL called Sam's Euro-Asian. I took the truck there. He only found 1 line leaking and he replaced it for a little less than $600.

This was the first time I've taken the truck to a non-Lexus shop so I was reluctant. My truck is a 2004 so I figured it's time to find a good mechanic for stuff like this. I was impressed with this shop and his explanation of what needed to be done. Plus he guarantees his work for 2 years. Everything works fine now. I've been checking for any other leaks and I don't see anything so hopefully I'm good.

Good luck

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I see. That does not sound like a good price. A-Len quoted the highest for me at $475 to fix the ac line which is the high pressure one. I am just gonna keep checking around to see if a shop can weld it or make fittings. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-01-11, 12:24 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quality Control Air conditioning

Just got my truck back because I thought it needed to have the AC recharged.
They tell me 4 separate lines are leaking??! Not at the joints, the actual aluminum has eroded. Never heard of aluminum rotting.
Any one else have this happen?
Is there a service bulletin for this?
Old 04-16-12, 06:38 PM
Achilles
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue with a '99 Landcruiser with rear ac.
The lines to and from the rear were corroded in many places despite vehicle having only 70,000 miles. Received a quote from an ac shop of $1300 to replace the lines . As I never have anyone occupy the rear of the vehicle, I had them cap the corroded lines and run a bypass line at the firewall. Took 6 hours and cost $650.00