LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Vibration at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10 | 03:03 PM
Lyconian
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration at Idle

Hi,

I have 1999 lx470 with around 61k miles on it, I also had it recently fully serviced.

But it has developed some problem, as the car is started and left at idle in gear it shakes and vibrates, not too much but is noticeable once at the driver seat. Once the gear is shifted to neutral or parking the vibration disappears. Every time I stop at the traffic lights with foot on brake pedal the car vibrates again i.e when ever stationary and in gear.

I have changed the Spark plugs and checked all the ignition coils by changing them over for the new ones and it still hasn't made any difference, it drives well and starts well though

Any comments or help on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old 11-24-10 | 12:35 PM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Lyconian,

Can you tell what area the vibration is coming from on the LX?
Old 12-02-10 | 08:57 PM
ewinder2
Driver School Candidate

I am experiencing the same thing...and have for awhile now. My vibration seems to be coming from the engine compartment area.
Old 12-02-10 | 09:37 PM
parnoren
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if it's the same vibration as I have, but the plastic engine cover makes a terrible noise when idling. Maybe rule this out by opening the hood and holding the plastic cover to see if the sound goes away.
Old 12-05-10 | 01:14 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

I'd just clean or replace spark plugs for starters. Any vibration is certainly not normal, though may not necessarily indicate any serious problem either. So simple things first.
Old 12-21-10 | 09:29 PM
ewinder2
Driver School Candidate

Lyconian - did you find a solution to your problem?
Old 12-31-10 | 01:25 PM
Lyconian
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

Apologies for a late reply.

LXBriGuy: Not sure where the vibration/judder is arising from while it is stationary and in gear, apart from saying Front/Engine Bay.

AKoch: As I mentioned in my original post "I have changed the Spark plugs and checked all the ignition coils by changing them over for the new ones and it still hasn't made any difference, it drives well and starts well though"

ewinder2: No solution has been found although i have yet to follow on couple of leads.

1) ''Faulty Crank Position Sensor", Please read the section on ''How do I know if I have a bad crank position sensor?'' on this website: http://www.redlinemotive.com/replace...tionsensor.asp

2) some one also mentioned a check for a broken or soft Engine mount.

3) worth a look at the fuel injection as a clogged /damaged nozzle can possibly cause vibration, was also told by some one.

4) I think i'll be taking it to a mechanic for a computer diagnostic check to see if it picks up anything....

Havent had a chance to do any of the above yet, hopefully soon.

Meanwhile happy, lucky and wonderful New Year to ALL.

Last edited by Lyconian; 12-31-10 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-13-11 | 05:36 PM
TONYEP
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration

I've only had the problem of my engine cover vibrating and making an awful noise, whenever my truck is in "reverse" or in any of the "drive" gears.
Old 01-14-11 | 05:38 AM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

I recently had a very similar problem with my 470. I realize you have already done this but the answer for my problem was changing all plugs and replacing one of the coils.

I would certainly recommend you getting a GOOD diagnostics machine on it. The one I had checking mine was detecting live misfiring and the location, not just a specific problem code. I may also be your air temperature sensors in the breather components.

Richie
Old 01-14-11 | 02:51 PM
Lyconian
Driver School Candidate

Richie: Thanks for your recommendation but when you say a good diagnostics Machine, is there a make or model for the machine or going to Lexus/Toyota dealer would suffice?

All: You're input in terms of diagnostics test would be appreciated since don't really know what to look out for i.e what machine, equipment, capability etc this might save me some money and a trip to a local dealer.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-11 | 04:20 PM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

Lyconian,
I don't know of a particular brand. What I mean is that my mechanic (NOT DEALERSHIP) didn't use a diagnostic reader like you can use at Autozone or Advance. It was a real nice portable one about 10" by 15" and 2" thick. It as a step above any others I have seen. But haven't seen many...due to owning a Lexus.
Old 03-17-11 | 04:57 PM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

i know this is a old thread and not related to SC400 but my car is doing the exact same thing.

Everything is ok in park or neutral but when im in drive, and my foot is on the break, then the car vibrates every couple of seconds.

It's irritating the hell out of me and i just got a tune up for the sparks and wires. It feels almost like the vibrating is coming from below the car but im not sure.