LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Night View System

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 01:25 PM
BLKSC400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night View System

How many of you have the night view system on your LX? How useful is the system? Does it work well in snow? Is it possible to have Lexus install one at a reasonable price if the LX did not come with one?

Thanks!!
Old 01-25-11, 01:29 PM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

You can buy a FLIR camera for about $2400
Old 01-25-11, 04:21 PM
rgardjr
Driver School Candidate

We have it in the 2006 that we purchased about a month ago. Seems pretty useless to me. Display is too small and you have to take your focus off the road to look at it. Not sure what they cost, but I wouldn't paid for it in the incarnation that is in our 2006.
Old 01-26-11, 06:37 AM
BLKSC400
Driver

Originally Posted by rgardjr
We have it in the 2006 that we purchased about a month ago. Seems pretty useless to me. Display is too small and you have to take your focus off the road to look at it. Not sure what they cost, but I wouldn't paid for it in the incarnation that is in our 2006.
Thanks!! I found a picture and the image does appear to be a little small.

I am looking for a 03 and abobe LX470, since I do quite a bit of night driving not sure if this system is worth it, probably won't bother in finding one now.

Old 01-26-11, 01:33 PM
DarkCorner
Driver School Candidate

I was about to start a thread on this but you beat me to it.
Looks pretty useless being that small.
I saw a youtube video with the night view displaying on the Nav screen in a GX470. It looked kinda cool but maybe it wasnt stock.
Can it be displayed on the Nav screen also?
Old 01-29-11, 01:55 PM
DaveN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While it could be better, the system works well in the right environment. We have it on our 2006 and we live in a rural area. It has saved us from running into a group of deer crossing the road more than once. I never would have been able to stop in time if I had been relying on my headlights. In cities it is worthless due to high amounts of ambient light.
Old 01-29-11, 02:24 PM
darntart
Driver School Candidate

Right on DaveN. There's to much going on the scene for the city. Had the option for years but never used it. Also, if you need to replace your windsheild the dealer quoted me $2k not including labor.
Old 02-16-11, 09:15 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I routinely use my night view system as I drive through the city parks in my area. Too much traffic for the high beams but the night view illuminators cast a great beam that allows me to see deer at a much greater distance compared to the low beams.
Old 02-21-11, 07:10 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another idea for those without night view...add HIDs to your truck. About 4x the amount of light, without much work. Never had a problem with people being blinded either!
Old 02-21-11, 08:50 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
Just another idea for those without night view...add HIDs to your truck. About 4x the amount of light, without much work. Never had a problem with people being blinded either!
x2. At one time, I was looking into adapting landing gear lights from a 727 for mounting on the ARB (those ones you see on the nose gear when the plane is on approach 20 miles away) for additional lighting, but aviation parts cost $$$ and typically run off 28v. That would have been tremendously bright, though.

Just looked up the bulbs on a Boeing 777 nose landing gear (GE Q4559X)...28v, 600 watts and 765,000 candle power from a 3.75" lamp...not bad! Hey Loud, why don't you try rigging these up on your ARB and post some photos on the forum!? Read one guy's testimony at the bottom!

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Lamp type Sealed Beam - PAR

Bulb PAR64

Base Screw Terminals

Filament CC-6

Product Technology Halogen

Wattage 600

Voltage 28

Rated Life 100 hrs

Primary Application Aircraft; Very Narrow Spot

PHOTOMETRIC CHARACTERISTICS

Beam Spread - Horizontal 11° - 10 %

Beam Spread - Vertical 7.5° - 10 %

Max. Beam Candlepower (MBCP) (MAX) 765000

DIMENSIONS

Maximum Overall Length (MOL) 3.7500 in (95.2 mm)

Here's a testimony from someone who tested the Q4559X...

"I have compared it numerous ways to my Barn Burner, including recently shinging both at a lighthouse about 2 miles away, and aiming both straight up in the sky and looked at both from a couple blocks away.

"The GE Q4559X setup totally blows away the BB, including putting a brighter, larger spot on the lighthouse....and a mega-bright beam shooting straight up. The problem with it quite honestly is that the GE Q4559X setup is so damn bright up close (within 150 feet) with all the spill from that sealed bulb...that it just scares the eebie-jeebies out of everyone who gets near it....including me. LOL! It seems like a 747 is about to land in your driveway!!!"

Last edited by V8_Fan; 02-21-11 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 08:32 AM
BLKSC400
Driver

I just bought the truck, and it happens to come with the Night View System. I find it a little low on my line of sight and can be somewhat of a distraction when driving.

What HID kit do you have? I tried an Extreme kit from Xenon Depot (5000k) couple of years ago, and was not really impressed with the light output.

Maybe getting 4300K this time? Will it be too yellow or is it actually closer to stock? With OEM HIDs, I feel Acura is whiter than Lexus for some reason.

Old 02-22-11, 10:46 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
x2. At one time, I was looking into adapting landing gear lights from a 727 for mounting on the ARB (those ones you see on the nose gear when the plane is on approach 20 miles away) for additional lighting, but aviation parts cost $$$ and typically run off 28v. That would have been tremendously bright, though.

Just looked up the bulbs on a Boeing 777 nose landing gear (GE Q4559X)...28v, 600 watts and 765,000 candle power from a 3.75" lamp...not bad! Hey Loud, why don't you try rigging these up on your ARB and post some photos on the forum!?
That'd be great for people with their high beams on

Originally Posted by BLKSC400
I just bought the truck, and it happens to come with the Night View System. I find it a little low on my line of sight and can be somewhat of a distraction when driving.

What HID kit do you have? I tried an Extreme kit from Xenon Depot (5000k) couple of years ago, and was not really impressed with the light output.

Maybe getting 4300K this time? Will it be too yellow or is it actually closer to stock? With OEM HIDs, I feel Acura is whiter than Lexus for some reason.

4300K is what Jim and I got, I've been happy with it for the last 5 years. They've shifted to closer to 5000K in color temp, may be time to get new bulbs.
Old 02-22-11, 08:36 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

So far, so good on my 4300K w/ Philips ballasts. They measured 4x brighter than stock halogen h1's. If you want to go cheap (non HID but whiter color), I have a set of JDM PIAA H1 super whites (or whatever they call them) that I'll sell 'ya. I have to say the OEM AFS HIDs on my LS430 ultra are by far the brightest low beams I've ever used, much brighter than the already seemingly bright HIDs on the LX. I can't imagine being able to place a spot 2 miles away w/ 777 landing gear lights! Turn those on when someone has their high beams on and they'll think either an alien ship or jumbo jet is about to land in front of them!
Old 02-23-11, 06:07 AM
BLKSC400
Driver

4300K is what Jim and I got, I've been happy with it for the last 5 years. They've shifted to closer to 5000K in color temp, may be time to get new bulbs.

Thanks!

What brand did you guys have? Xenon Depot/DDM/Omni X?

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
So far, so good on my 4300K w/ Philips ballasts. They measured 4x brighter than stock halogen h1's. If you want to go cheap (non HID but whiter color), I have a set of JDM PIAA H1 super whites (or whatever they call them) that I'll sell 'ya. I have to say the OEM AFS HIDs on my LS430 ultra are by far the brightest low beams I've ever used, much brighter than the already seemingly bright HIDs on the LX. I can't imagine being able to place a spot 2 miles away w/ 777 landing gear lights! Turn those on when someone has their high beams on and they'll think either an alien ship or jumbo jet is about to land in front of them!

I have OEM AFS on my LS, it is indeed the brightest HIDs I have ever seen, although not as "white" as the Acura HIDs. I was hoping I can find a kit to match the brightness of the HIDs on my LS, guess maybe not.

LOL! You are still thinking about landing gear lights. I wouldn't want my alien ship to be attacked by one of these....

Old 02-25-11, 11:13 PM
cygator
Driver School Candidate

Default Night view

It came on our 05 and we thought it was kind of cool. Never really used it but when we had to have the windshield replaced the insurance company about had a cow. It's a unique windshield for the night vision and it cost $3,000. They put the wrong one in first time and had to replace it. No deductible on windshields but I bet they get even.

Quick Reply: Night View System