LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

The little round fog lights. Some have them others don't?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 02:30 AM
DarkCorner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The little round fog lights. Some have them others don't?

Looking at 06-07s and I can't figure out why some have the little round fogs and others don't. These are the ones on the bumper between the parklight and the tag. I would post a pic but I'm, well not good at that.
I think I have even seen them on 05s.
Thanks
Old 01-27-11, 08:24 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dark, you may be speaking of the NightVision lamps. They look like fogs, but are not. The fog lamps are included in the rectangular housing in the bumper.
Old 01-27-11, 07:19 PM
DarkCorner
Driver School Candidate

Ahhh.
Cool, I just got an 07 today and it has the round lights. Just so happens the rig has the nightvision option that I know nothing about. Makes sense.
Thanks
Old 01-28-11, 04:29 AM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DarkCorner
Ahhh.
Cool, I just got an 07 today and it has the round lights. Just so happens the rig has the nightvision option that I know nothing about. Makes sense.
Thanks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Le...vision_HUD.jpg

The Night View system is the most interesting 2003 change. With it, the LX 470 is only the second vehicle sold in the United States to offer a nighttime vision system. Cadillac debuted its "Night Vision" system on the 2000 DeVille.

The LX 470's system uses near-infrared technology to help enhance nighttime driving visibility. Though the premise is the same, the way it operates is slightly different than the Cadillac's. For Night View, there are two lamps mounted in the front bumper that project near-infrared light when the system is activated. This near-infrared light (it's invisible to the naked eye) reflects from objects ahead back to a charged couple device (CCD) camera mounted inside the vehicle at the top of the windshield. A dedicated computer processes the resulting black-and-white images, which are then projected onto the lower section of the windshield within the driver's field of vision.

In contrast, Cadillac's Night Vision works passively, detecting infrared waves from sources that reflect or radiate heat, including people and animals. It, too, has a head-up display, but the display shows more of a ghostlike image of the heat sources, not necessarily their surroundings. In comparing the two, we think the Lexus system is much more useful on a regular basis. Because it's providing the infrared light, the resulting images are much clearer, thereby making them more useful to the driver. The only advantage to the Cadillac system is that it theoretically offers better performance when the weather conditions are rainy or foggy.

Both systems are virtually useless in urban environments, so we strongly encourage you to analyze your typical driving situations before opting for Night View. It makes the most sense for drivers who are frequently traveling on darkened roads without many curves. Lexus says Night View works out to a distance of nearly 500 feet — about three to four times the range of the low beams.
Old 01-28-11, 08:36 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DarkCorner,

Please post some pics of your new ride. Congrats! look forward to seeing it.
Old 01-29-11, 12:20 PM
DarkCorner
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the info guys!
I used it last night breifly in street lit areas and its no help. But I live out from town so it might come in uselful for animals, people in the darkness. I look foward to playing with it. I'll try to shine some pastures and see how some horses and maybe some deer look.
Cheers