LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX470 Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 05:42 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry LX470 Transmission question

Hello members from a 2007 LX470 new owner but not new to the forums. I need some advice and help. My problem is when I go from Park to any other gear the movement is fine but nothing happens other than the dash information lights indicating the proper gear is selected. However, the transmission is not engaged at all (forward or reverse). The vehicle just sits there. Then when I attempt to return the shift lever to the Park position it will not allow me do so. It makes this grinding noise when I attempt to place the lever in Park. I can turn the engine off and the lever will go into Park just fine.

I placed the 4wd into H & L mode and all works normal. This has happened overnight just sitting in my garage. Since I just purchased the vehicle yesterday with only 32000 miles on it and still under factory warranty I would like to know what stupid thing could have happened to cause this. It was working just fine driving 250 miles home from the purchase site. I have read the owners manual without any assistance. Any advice appreciated. I am open for discussion. Just trying to rack my brain to something I may have screwed up . Sorry about the long thread. Thanks,
Don

Last edited by donmatt; 04-03-11 at 06:57 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-03-11, 03:35 PM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don, i was excited for you after reading your last post and was awaiting pics, but now i am so surprised. The only thing i can think of is if H & L are not in the correct position, but i am sure you checked and rechecked. I have not experienced this problem that you are experiencing. Hopefully someone else will know what the issue is.

I am also glad for you that your factory warranty is in tack, in case there is some other major issue at hand.

Please keep us informed.

Brian
Old 04-03-11, 06:27 PM
donmatt
Driver

Thanks Brian,
Will contact Lexus tomorrow am. It really has me "bum fuddled". I have checked and rechecked everything I can think of to no avail. Whatever it is it happened while I slept overnight because the only items I did was remove the 3rd row seats and program the garage door opener plus play with the nav programming. Will advise what I learn.
Don
Old 04-04-11, 06:12 AM
donmatt
Driver

Brian,
Boy do I ever feel rather stupid. Hope this forum will overlook my senior moment. I re-read the owner's manual and followed up with a call to my service writer and a tech for confirmation and guess what; all is operating normal. The 4WD lever must be located in the H position for the wheels to move. The N position does not allow for movement. In reality the vehicle is an AWD. Just don't know where my head was located but it was not connected to where it should have been. Forgive me please!! I'm normally smarter than this. Glad this forum includes everyone. Maybe some good will come from my being less than smart on this one.
Don
Old 04-04-11, 11:05 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don, Glad it worked out for you...i am sure you are very relieved. As you saw in my reply to you, the only thing i could think of was your H or L position wasn't locked in.

Now you must post some pics of your new baby!
Old 04-04-11, 05:01 PM
donmatt
Driver

Brian,
Thanks for being gracious about my ????. Anyway, When the weather clears up I will take some photos and try to publish them. By the way, do you have any idea on where the nav disc is located and how to change one? I'm getting a new one as part of the deal and need to know the procedures for changing.
Would appreciate any help.
Don
Old 04-04-11, 05:35 PM
parnoren
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 2002 the navigation dvd player is underneath the front passenger seat. Just move the seat forward all the way and remove the plastic cover. You can then see the player. Just eject old disc and insert new disc and you're set to go.
Old 04-04-11, 06:40 PM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by parnoren
In my 2002 the navigation dvd player is underneath the front passenger seat. Just move the seat forward all the way and remove the plastic cover. You can then see the player. Just eject old disc and insert new disc and you're set to go.
Thanks very much. I just went out and checked and there it was beneath the front passenger seat just as you stated. Now, all I have to do is wait until the new disc arrives and it will be installed immediately, thanks to your information.
These forums remind me of an old adage familiar with the Salvation Army: "Sharing is Caring" and that depicts how these forums go. You folks are just great.
Don
Old 09-03-11, 12:47 AM
longshadow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lx 470 Transmission

I have bought LX 470 /2003

I am shy to i dont know how to use the off road transmission at all.

Do you have youtube link to learn how to use it?

Thnx