LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Exhaust nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 10:31 PM
TSmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust nightmare

I went for safety inspection and was shocked to find it failed for an exhaust leak. I was told the flange in between the 2 cats was leaking. After further inspection, i found 4, yes, FOUR exhaust leaks. The pre-cat 02 is leaking (nuts rusted off, should be easy fix), gasket in between cats is rotted away, same with the gasket right after the second cat, and finally there is a hole on the backside of the muffler (not a drain hole for water, a rusted no bueno hole). Three of the leaks are before the post-cat 02 (one is ON the pre-cat 02!!!) and yet I do not have a code for high oxygen readings.

On top of this, 2 hangers have rusted all of the way through and the only thing that has been keeping it from snapping off at the front is the frame that is bends above. Of course it has been smacking the frame and has dented the piping some.

I ordered the gaskets and nut/bolt kits I'll need. As for the muffler, I''ll be cheating that with some exhaust fix. Whether it is the easy weld or the muffler tape. These connections are so rusted, I'm afraid of whats gonna happen when I try to get them apart. I'm halfway tempted to just use the exhaust weld where both gaskets have rotted out, but I don't like doing shotty work. Plus if it doesn't work, I'll be doing some cutting since that wont come apart. The lack of a code for high 02 readings makes me thing the leaks are so small that the weld would have to seal it up.

Oh what a pickle.
Old 02-23-12, 08:21 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop parking in the ocean.
Old 02-24-12, 10:44 AM
TSmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No can do. I hear it adds about 12% life span to your suspension system by slightly unloading it. Ocean parking for life.

On a more serious note. With a couple hours of grinding, pb blasting, wrenching, cutting, cussing I got it all apart and cleaned. I cleaned the rust off with a wire brush attachment. I used some muffler weld on the muffler and I'm about to do a second coat. Just waiting on those gaskets. I bought a couple universal hangers but I'm not sure exactly how I'll be using them yet.

Since the hanger right after the cat is bolt on (or at least it appears that way. Most of the hanger is gone but that's what I'm seeing), I'm trying to find a replacement online. Only problem is I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know where I can find that hanger?