LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New LX Owner with some suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 08:08 PM
67FASTBACK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New LX Owner with some suspension questions

Hello to all! I just picked up my 01 LX470 yesterday. I'm looking forward to finding the answers to most/all of my future questions on here. Hopefully someone can help me with my first question. My self leveling suspension is shot so I'm looking to replace it all with a standard spring/shock setup.

I did try a search, BUT looking up suspension gets about 1000 results, so, its hard to narrow down what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to go with all OEM land cruiser parts. Has anyone on here done this? If so what parts did you swap? I'm really looking to know if the stock LX torsion bars can be cranked and handle the load, or if I need to swap to Land Cruiser TB's. Also I know that there are different Land Cruiser rear springs, hopefully someone can tell me which ones?

If anyone has changed their setup to any of the above, how has it been? And does anyone have pictures of the new ride height? I don't really want to go higher than stock.

Where have you guys found that's the best place to buy the factory Toyota parts?

Thanks in advance and for helping answer a question that may have been asked 100 times.
Old 07-17-12, 01:24 PM
RobRed
Rookie

You could replace with OEM Land Cruiser parts no problem if you are looking for a plush ride as those systems are very soft. You could go OME for lift and more controlled ride.

You will need:

Front Torsion bars
Rear Springs
4x Shocks

You might also want to refurb your anti-sway bars - here is a parts list http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/02/parts...nti-roll-bars/
Old 07-26-12, 07:59 PM
jdlsantos
Driver School Candidate

probable on front just need to crack the tbar, the rear is different, check for new spring OEM also can check after market Old Man Emu.
Old 07-30-12, 04:38 PM
RobRed
Rookie

The torsion bars on the LX are lighter than the the LC because of the AHC. You'll replace them too.
Old 11-29-12, 02:22 PM
joe42276
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know if you already did the swap...

I just swapped a couple months ago too.

I was able to source a set of used oem LC torsion bars from ih8mud.com
There's guys there that did a susp lift and want to toss their stock bars, so grab them.
...rear springs too if you're lucky.

I ended up buying new rear springs. This was most expensive... almost $300 for the pair.
Otherwise the oem LC shocks were pretty reasonable... under $250 for the set of 4,
and used torsion bars can go around $50-75.

I also added AirLift rear airbags to help level the LX for different loads and towing. They worked great on my other cars, and its relatively cheap, and easy to install. They say it can add 1000 lbs to the load capacity. I dont know about that.. but it does help level the truck in seconds, so that's good enough for my needs. $75 here.

I also picked up a set of WhiteLine HD sway bars. My LX wont see much real off roading anyway, so this helps the street handling a bit. I believe the AHC used to control sway too, so by swapping to normal suspension, I felt in theory, that the stock sway bars were too weak.

I did take some pics. gotta dig them up... but when comparing the LX torsion bars with the LC ones... I'd definitely recommend not using the LX bars.

Overall, I LOVE the new ride quality, and peace of mind that it wont fail anytime soon.