LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Lx and Gx

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 04:41 PM
DrEvil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lx and Gx

HI guys,

New member here... I have done a ton of reading but still have a few questions.

I am looking for a daily driver for the wifey. I had a LX for my work vehicle for quite a while. I was involved in a serious collision and everyone in the LX walked away virtually unscathed. For this reason I have been a firm believer in the LX's workmanship.

My questions: I can afford to buy an older LX (from my reading 03 or newer). I have a rough budget of about 25k.

I was wondering if I am better off buying an 03-05 ish LX or for that same price I can get an 07 ish GX.

Any recommendations about older LX vs A newer GX?

Any factory options that I should absolutely have (or not have) on either model?

Looking to buy in the next few days so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old 04-18-13, 07:35 PM
DrEvil
Driver School Candidate

I just found an 07 GX 470. 130k miles. clean carfax, 19,900.
I am waiting to find out from Lexus what the maintenance history looks like.

2 concerns:
1. It was bought by an independent dealer at auction
2. 130k is a lot of miles...?

Thanks,
Old 04-18-13, 09:40 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat although with a litlle smaller budget. I wouldn't spend 19k with 130k way too many miles. Locally here there are tons for sale 100k or less. Debating older lx or slightly newer gx. Hard to decide lol. I'm leaning lx as I want the bigger size. I'm also looking at the qx56 Infiniti it's competitor is the lx and you can get good deals on them.
Old 04-19-13, 06:25 AM
lakewaylex
Driver School Candidate

We have both - although my lx is older (99)

How sensitive are you to the gas mileage? If you are going to be doing a lot of driving by yourself/commuting I'd lean towards the gx. In either case, really scrutinize the AHC suspension - it is the big ticket item that fails earlier than the rest of the vehicle. How much are you going to mod it, the lx will more readily accept parts for the land cruiser 100s than the gx (from other 120 series vehicles)

if you aren't going offroad at all then the qx56 makes sense as an alternative - especially if you will tow
Old 04-19-13, 03:12 PM
DrEvil
Driver School Candidate

OK, I agree the milage was too high on that one.. Eliminated

I just looked at an 03 LX 470 48k miles. Super clean, dealer serviced. Has Mark Levinson audio, Pearl white they are asking 29k

It does not have a tow hitch though??...

Going back tonight with the wife...

Opinions?
Suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 05-26-13, 07:47 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hi guys I usually post in the GS400

I currently own a 2006 Infiniti QX56 black on black. love the car runs great n my dad and I compared my QX56 vs he's 2005 GX470 they are both great cars but my qx won. way higher towing capability a lot more space in the Infiniti. and most of the fun add ons come that you can choose come stock on the QX unlike the gx.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 05-29-13, 10:56 AM
reckless7
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2002 Lexus LX470 blk/tan w/80k miles for $15k and am very happy with it. I debated about the QX56 and the GX which both look prettier. But somehow I felt that the LX470 was built to a much higher level of class/sophistication and went with it. The QX56 is faster but I just don't see it being as durable as the LX. I really like the Prado but the GX doesn't seem as off road friendly.

Last night we had a huge storm in Chicago and when all the cars had stopped due to flash flooding. The LX kept moving like a bat out of hell. It was absolutely amazing! The highways were deserted and I am driving through the tornado at 60-80mph and at one point nearly submerged the truck. It remained planted on the ground even though it was almost like driving through a pond.
Old 07-11-13, 12:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DrEvil
HI guys,

New member here... I have done a ton of reading but still have a few questions.

I am looking for a daily driver for the wifey. I had a LX for my work vehicle for quite a while. I was involved in a serious collision and everyone in the LX walked away virtually unscathed. For this reason I have been a firm believer in the LX's workmanship.

My questions: I can afford to buy an older LX (from my reading 03 or newer). I have a rough budget of about 25k.

I was wondering if I am better off buying an 03-05 ish LX or for that same price I can get an 07 ish GX.

Any recommendations about older LX vs A newer GX?

Any factory options that I should absolutely have (or not have) on either model?

Looking to buy in the next few days so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Powertrain, strength and towing, you can do everything in a GX like you could in a LX. You also have some better technology in the GX such dual front HVAC, Downhill and uphill assit control, KDSS as well. The GX will be a better off roader if that is your thing. With the GX you also don't have to deal with a power antenna or a split tailgate and you get a door (but the door can suck if you don't like that sort of thing).

With the LX, you getting a whole different class of SUV. Where the GX has more features and new technology, the LX is bigger and feels like a much nicer vehicle. It has much nicer materials inside.

IMO, the GX does not feel luxurious at all, it feels upscale and premium. The LX feel s very luxurious and prestigious.

Lastly, whatever you choose, keep in mind that the technology and design of the LX is a later 90's SUV whIle the GX is newer.

I would go for the LX.