LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Looking at a used 98 LX470 - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 07:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts
Default Looking at a used 98 LX470 - advice?

I've been kicking around getting a truck for a while, either a couple-year used Tundra or an older Landcruiser. Last night I was doing a search to review the new ones and decided to check out the LX470's.

I found one that was about 8K more than a comparable Landcruiser and wanted to ask folks here for opinions and anything I should look out for.

It's a 1998 Lexus LX470 w/ smokey topaz, 54k miles, garaged, non-smoker, excellent condition and he's asking $29995 obo

I spoke with the guy, and he said tires were Michelins and had about 14K on them, it has the moonroof option and premium (not Nakamichi) sound, heated seats, third row. Does not have Nav.

Any thoughts on price? The Edmunds TMV is $30,281 in my area for this vehicle.

Anything I should look out for (trouble areas, etc)?

Any reasons I should get this over a Landcruiser?

Thanks much!
D
Old 01-24-03, 07:59 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That's a very fair dealer price @ $30K(that's what 29,995.00 IS), but if he's the only owner of the LX a good price is $27K and a better price is $25K... Trust me and offer him $25K since he is not a dealer & the LX should be paid for or close to it... Hence, he will not turn down $25K or a lil' higher...

If he traded it in the dealer would only give him about $19 or 20K... Unless he was getting robbed on the auto he was buying, then they would make it LOOK like he was getting more...

Don't be afraid to walk away and make him rethink it... Don't go to him unless you are ready to buy(check in hand/bank or approved)... Also get an use vehicle inspection before one cent is exchanged and an extended warranty... I can also give you quotes whenever you are ready...

As you can tell I'm in the car business...
Old 01-25-03, 03:08 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Can you really find 98 LC's for 22k. Wow, ship them out to Colorado and make 7-10k a pop.

As for comparison between the LC and LX...go with the LX. I did. Here in Colorado...the LC commands top dollar and the price difference is sometimes less than 5k between the two. I drove both...in the end the features of the LX spoiled me. AHC suspension is the best, the interior upgrades and better seats are much better, exterior cladding and mouldings are much nicer...but the best feature is the sport suspension and ability to tune shock damping at the flip of a switch. It sold me the first time I drove the LX.

As for problems...the Topaz has been know to discolor. You start to see more gray and blotchy areas of brown. The mechanics are tops and these things are tough as they come.

BTW, much like you I looked at Tundra's...but there built in US. Sorry, but everything I own has been built in Japan and I have had excellent results with all of them. Yeah, I drove the Tundra...not impressed. Drive the LX you will buy it...I will bet on it.

As for what Icon had to say about the price. Yeah, its easy to say offer this or that..but in reality the condition of the veh is of far more importance. If the LX is undamaged, in excellent condition and you get it for 27, 28 or even 28.5...be happy with the purchase if its in excellent condition. I dont really care what the dealer will offer for the LX...what will the LX bring in the open market that is what your looking for. If its priced in the ballpark and its condition is topps.....buy it.
Old 01-25-03, 01:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
As for what Icon had to say about the price. Yeah, its easy to say offer this or that..but in reality the condition of the veh is of far more importance. If the LX is undamaged, in excellent condition and you get it for 27, 28 or even 28.5...be happy with the purchase if its in excellent condition. I dont really care what the dealer will offer for the LX...what will the LX bring in the open market that is what your looking for. If its priced in the ballpark and its condition is topps.....buy it.
I'm a sales manager in the auto business(we wholesale alot to dealers..). Forget that crap about an auto price and conditioning... It is still only an auto! Sure a premium unit demands more; however, If there's ANY chance to save $3K - $5K save it!!!

If he wanted it. If he could still afford it. If he did not want to save more money or he could need money for another expense(divorce, college, new house, wedding, another car, etc..). Bottom line he wants $$$$$! This is why 99% sell their autos.... Only about 1% will NOT bargain or will not sell... This is because those persons either owe on the auto, stupid or own COLLECTIBLE autos, that INCREASE in value... Our cars ARE DEPRECIATING assets period...

Offer $25K but pay no more than $27K... Remember it's only a car, it's not a house/property... So if you go into this transaction with that mentality, you will not pay too much...

There is such a thing as a "honest car saleman"

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-27-03 at 02:44 PM.