LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Off-Road/Mudding LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03 | 06:00 PM
rukarims
Driver

Post Off-Road/Mudding LX

Has anyone ever taken there LX off road or mudding? Just wanted to know...... If you have, and you got any pics..i would love to see them.
Old 03-24-03 | 06:54 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Default I do it regularly

but not exteam off-road, more of exploratory trips in the mountails, forest service roards, closed mines, fishing etc. I don't do serious rocks or extream mud, but everyting you can expect on the deactivated old roads or no roads environments. Much more body damage that I would prefer to see on my truck, but it's worth it. Sorry, no public pictures.

Alex
Old 03-25-03 | 03:02 PM
LX in AK
Driver School Candidate

Default I've thought about it...

I know the LX has been labled as one of the BEST off roading vehicles made. And there are ample opportunities up here in Alaska. But I just can't bring myself to do it... I hate to see her dirty.

Yeah I know, I got issues...
Old 03-25-03 | 08:20 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Default OK, here is one

On one of the old mine roads, winding up.

Stuck here pretty nicely, the depth was more then two feet with mud and send on the bottom. Guys, always put it into the low gear and lock differentials. Even if you cross there often

Old 03-26-03 | 02:12 PM
rukarims
Driver

Default wow

wow...did water get inside the lex. ? Nice pics thanks
Old 03-26-03 | 06:36 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

No, it did not. Thought the depth was more than what you're supposed to take on an un-modified vehicle ( in the middle of that stream - appx 90sm, which is like 3 feet: if you went behind the truck the water was at you stomac level), but the width of the obstacle was not that big to be make it dangerous.

The sealings are good on LX, not a drop inside. But of course I had to use the right front door that was the only one above the water-line.

This was stupid - I often negotiate this same stream when we go finish or for a BBQ, so I did not bother switching the transfer case down and did not have enough speed. Well, do it even if you think you know what you're doing The river beds don't like to stay the same...
Old 03-26-03 | 09:52 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Oh, oh,

I wish the US spec 470 had those headlight washers.
Old 03-26-03 | 11:09 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Yes, the headlamp washers help quite a bit. But on my part I have another complain - I wish the Canadian-spec LX had the cooler-box in the console, like the European, Japanees and Australian-specs

Alex
Old 04-10-03 | 04:52 PM
J-Spec185
Driver School Candidate

Smile Nice pix Akoch!!

Great pix of your offroadin' 4-SEVENTY! LOVE IT! btw...check out www.junction185.com for more pix of J-Spec LC's and 450/70's.

J-Spec185
Old 11-02-03 | 10:16 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

New Years day 2003
I get stuck in that mud. I should have been able to get out by myself, but was unexperienced with off roading and how to use my car's features to get you. I had a pickup truck pull me out.
Old 11-03-03 | 08:38 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Default Yes, takes a little bit of practice :)

Sometimes you get stuck even before actually realizing it. Believe me, I know ;0)

Alex
Old 11-04-03 | 02:30 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

OH MY GOSH! BEAUTIFUL! Please tell me that you have more! If you would like me to put them on the internet for you I can. If you have videos I can host those also--any size/length.

E-mail Jasoneo5@comcast.net
AIM Sn: Jasoneo5

Thanks!

-Jason Elcan
Old 11-04-03 | 03:43 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jasoneo5
OH MY GOSH! BEAUTIFUL! Please tell me that you have more! If you would like me to put them on the internet for you I can. If you have videos I can host those also--any size/length.

E-mail Jasoneo5@comcast.net
AIM Sn: Jasoneo5

Thanks!

-Jason Elcan

talking to me? about pictures?
I have my own server already and I do have 2 more pics of that same field
I took the pictures a month after I got stuck, so the mud settled a bit and the water froze up.

Here they are:

Old 11-04-03 | 05:32 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

Hey,

Actually I was talking to anybody who has pictures! I love veiwing them (for what reason, I don't know haha)

Anyways, AKoch, do you have any others?

-JasoN Elcan
Old 11-07-03 | 08:55 PM
Traveler
Driver School Candidate

470s go great off-road.

Your use in water greater than 22" is of concern. The submarine limiation has little to do with door seals Instead, it has to do with the breather tubes.

These tubes to the diffs and tranny ventilate the mechanisms with the atmoshere and can be flooded. If flooded, the lube is poluted and can no longer do its job. (HINT: change immediately).

If you go sub commanding often, have your dealer extend the ventilation tubes higer on the chassis or on to the arm of a snorkle.

Also, remember that if you charge a stream to get across with no bogging, you risk exceeding the minimum MPH of the raised height suspension system. This can lower you more than 1". Beware.

My pics are in the public area.

If you wish a different bull bar, the Australian ARB site offers one for mating with the WARN winch. If you would like this set-up (see pic) have your WARN or ARB dealer call ARB in Washington state. They DO import them (unlike the side rails). The cost is not bad and they are easy to install.

db

Quick Reply: Off-Road/Mudding LX