LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

drove w/ locked center..... take it for service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-03, 11:54 PM
Garbage Gamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove w/ locked center..... take it for service?

i am unsure if this post should go here or in the Maintenance section, sorry if i misplaced it...

anyways, i was leaving school, got in my car, and i putted my feet up on the center console to tighten my shoelaces. i suppose when i did that, i accidentally kicked in the switch to lock the center differential. (i did not know the center diff. was locked at this moment).
i placed my transmission out of park and began to reverse out my parking spot... i noticed something different about the delivery of power to the wheels, but still couldnt conclude that my center diff. was locked at this moment.

i proceeded to drive and hitted 2 corners on high traction asphalt for a total of about 70 yards when i realized my Center Diff. Locked Warning Light was illuminated on the dash.
when i tried to unlock it, i pressed the switch again, but it didn't unlock. i then switched the transmission to Neutral, then the 4-wheel shifter to neutral and 4-lo, then tried to unlock it, but it still didn't work (the thought of rolling forward or backward to unlock the diff slipped my mind). I slapped my transmission back to D to see if it was still locked, then i threw the 4 shifter forgetting to shift my transmission into N first.
I heard 2 seconds of mechanical grinding. then i realized what i was doing and rolled back to unlock the diff.

can the lx take this 1 mishap / abuse /incident ?

so my question is was this experience very bad for the truck and if it is, will its effect take its toll soon? i took an lx470 and drove 70 yards and hit 2 turns on asphalt with the center locked on 4-high. plus i also misshifted my 4-wheel shifter and heard 2 seconds of mechanical grinding.
i am living basically off ramen noodle and jack in the box right now, so i would really hate to take it to the shop for inspection unless i have to.

damn i ****ed up.... nothing went my way today
Old 04-13-03, 11:36 AM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well...

The thing is there to be used, not looked at. The coils get wound up together so need to drive around a little to unwind them.

There is nothing wrong with your car.......