LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

AHA suspension, concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 09:36 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AHA suspension, concerns

Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 99 lx470 with about 100k miles, im new and have questions as to why this AHA suspension on the LX470 is problem down the roads, was it a bad engineering parts or abuse from owners that it eventually breaks down? Why is it so unreliable?? Was reading they eventually breaks down and it's expensive to replace, can someone explain to me what really is the issues with these AHA suspension?
Old 12-27-15, 03:13 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not hear of the problems with the AHA before. Mine has certainly been fine for all the years and miles. So can't provide any useful info.
Old 12-27-15, 06:58 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthesia
Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 99 lx470 with about 100k miles, im new and have questions as to why this AHA suspension on the LX470 is problem down the roads, was it a bad engineering parts or abuse from owners that it eventually breaks down? Why is it so unreliable?? Was reading they eventually breaks down and it's expensive to replace, can someone explain to me what really is the issues with these AHA suspension?
So...

You read it on the internet, and therefore it must be true...

It does not necessarily "break down".

It is not "unreliable".

It is not expensive to replace...if you think $2K to switch from AHC to non-AHC is beyond your ability, I'd suggest considering a Land Cruiser around the same year.

I'm not aware of "issues" with AHC...other than owners who can't understand the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual

How long has it been since the fluid has been changed in the truck you're considering. What do Lexus' records tell you?

Steve
Old 12-28-15, 11:37 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
So...

You read it on the internet, and therefore it must be true...

It does not necessarily "break down".

It is not "unreliable".

It is not expensive to replace...if you think $2K to switch from AHC to non-AHC is beyond your ability, I'd suggest considering a Land Cruiser around the same year.

I'm not aware of "issues" with AHC...other than owners who can't understand the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual

How long has it been since the fluid has been changed in the truck you're considering. What do Lexus' records tell you?

Steve
Steve thank for your insight, like I said I'm new to the forum and just learning more on these lx470, I did a lot of searching and reading on the suspension and from what I gather, people switch out to regular suspension, thanks again for clearing this up regarding the AHA suspension on the lx470
Old 12-28-15, 11:52 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Steve thank for your insight, like I said I'm new to the forum and just learning more on these lx470, I did a lot of searching and reading on the suspension and from what I gather, people switch out to regular suspension, thanks again for clearing this up regarding the AHA suspension on the lx470
You're welcome

Take a look at the 100 series newbie guide on sleeoffroad.com...it will tell you what to look for on a used Cruiser or LX.

I'd also check out AHC threads in the 100 series forum on ih8mud.com. I'd also recommend going to the owners' section on Lexus.com. You can plug in the VIN and get a complete history of work done on the truck by Lexus dealers from initial delivery forward. Service records there will also tell you what recommended service tasks were declined by the owner. If you're in a state where roads are salted in the winter (not sure if your location is in Canada or California), it's imperative you take a look at the LX on a lift with both under-body shields are removed.

The field test for AHC is to simply drop the truck to the low position and note the fluid level (masking tape on side of tank + sharpie), then raise the height up to the high setting. You should see the fluid level drop by at least 8 graduations on the side of the AHC reservoir. While driving over a slightly bumpy road, you should feel definite differences between the damping control set on "comfort" or "sport". The comfort settings will give you a very smooth freeway ride, the sport settings a slightly bumpier ride but less body lean on curves.

hth

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 12-28-15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-29-15, 08:23 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

You're welcome

Take a look at the 100 series newbie guide on sleeoffroad.com...it will tell you what to look for on a used Cruiser or LX.

I'd also check out AHC threads in the 100 series forum on ih8mud.com. I'd also recommend going to the owners' section on Lexus.com. You can plug in the VIN and get a complete history of work done on the truck by Lexus dealers from initial delivery forward. Service records there will also tell you what recommended service tasks were declined by the owner. If you're in a state where roads are salted in the winter (not sure if your location is in Canada or California), it's imperative you take a look at the LX on a lift with both under-body shields are removed.

The field test for AHC is to simply drop the truck to the low position and note the fluid level (masking tape on side of tank + sharpie), then raise the height up to the high setting. You should see the fluid level drop by at least 8 graduations on the side of the AHC reservoir. While driving over a slightly bumpy road, you should feel definite differences between the damping control set on "comfort" or "sport". The comfort settings will give you a very smooth freeway ride, the sport settings a slightly bumpier ride but less body lean on curves.

hth

Steve
Wow, thanks Steve for pointing me to all the great source, really nice of you. Very much appreciated.
Vince
Old 12-29-15, 11:43 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Wow, thanks Steve for pointing me to all the great source, really nice of you. Very much appreciated.
Vince
Pics will be required once you buy her.

Steve
Old 01-02-16, 07:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

For those who have switched from AHC to non-AHC, what setting is the NON-AHC most comparable to? Comfort or sport?
Old 01-02-16, 08:52 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
For those who have switched from AHC to non-AHC, what setting is the NON-AHC most comparable to? Comfort or sport?
That would depend on which non-AHC torsion bars and springs you use...obviously, using Land Cruiser parts will result in a ride about halfway between comfort and sport. Using non-toyota parts, e.g. OME, you've got various rides to chose from. I'd check sleeoffroad.com.

Steve
Old 01-06-16, 06:40 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

That would depend on which non-AHC torsion bars and springs you use...obviously, using Land Cruiser parts will result in a ride about halfway between comfort and sport. Using non-toyota parts, e.g. OME, you've got various rides to chose from. I'd check sleeoffroad.com.

Steve
Thank you! Cheers!
Old 04-04-16, 09:12 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Pics will be required once you buy her.

Steve
Hi Steve, Vince here, just want to update on this thread, so I passed on the 100k rig, and picked up a 2004 lx470 with 70k miles. Here she is as requested

Old 04-04-16, 10:59 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Hi Steve, Vince here, just want to update on this thread, so I passed on the 100k rig, and picked up a 2004 lx470 with 70k miles. Here she is as requested
Vince, she's beautiful. Congratulations.

Steve