LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Pics of my "new" Lexus LX470

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 10:31 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally posted by Yankees Diva
wow ur lex is hot, especially the interior stuff you did to it.. keep up the good work and enjoy the ride!

~ Stella
Thanks - I"m enjoying it more and more each day
Old 05-30-03, 03:58 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any plans for it..........Supercharger????

Looks great as it is....I think the LX is the sharpest SUV right after the
Mercedes G500, nothing beats the look of a Brinks armored truck
Old 05-30-03, 11:20 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GatorGreg,

Any regrets not buying a later model with all the trinkets of updates? Yes, I am still picking your brain for info buying an older model LX. My heart says buy a nice used 2001 with the Mark Levinson audio system and navigation, but my wallet and investment accounts say "Buy what's cheapest..."

Thanks,
Old 06-03-03, 12:11 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally posted by LX470Mann
Any plans for it..........Supercharger????

Looks great as it is....I think the LX is the sharpest SUV right after the
Mercedes G500, nothing beats the look of a Brinks armored truck
Thanks LX470Mann, next thing I plan to do is get the front windows tinted (thanks to the folks in the window tinting thread for the suggestions on best tint match). Other things I've been considering are adding the wood steering wheel and shifter, and possibly getting some shiny wheels in a bigger size. I saw a cashmere LX like mine driving around recently with some chrome rims in I'm guessing 20"+ size and I must admit that while I'm normally not a big fan of giant wheels on SUVs, that thing looked awesome Not interested in a supercharger...at least not yet
Old 06-03-03, 12:35 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally posted by Jayson
GatorGreg,

Any regrets not buying a later model with all the trinkets of updates?
Not yet! We just drove it on our first extended road trip over the weekend (from Orlando down to the Palm Beaches and back) and I've gotta say WOW - what a great truck!!! The ride was so quiet and smooth that on the way back GG Jr. fell asleep about 5 minutes into the ride and didn't wake up again until we pulled into the driveway roughly 3 hours later On the way down we had it loaded up with a dining room table, SIX chairs and 2 extra leaves that we were giving to some relatives, plus all our luggage, and the LX swallowed it all up with ease - I guess size really does matter after all That was with both 3rd row seats fully removed and the 40 portion of the 60/40 2nd row tumbled forward, which still left GG Jr. with lots of room in the second row.
Old 06-05-03, 04:32 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is so good to hear that you have no regrets about buying your LX. Your comment about the steering wheel makes me wonder if we should further consider a 2000 early next year after tax season. It looks really sharp. It's honestly going to come down to the Lexus dealer that will give us the best price.

Have fun!
Old 06-19-03, 03:31 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

nice! You will need Club Lexus stickers now for your car!
Old 06-19-03, 08:26 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking truck. I'd personally take the LX470 over the G-Wagen, and I'd spend the money I saved on the TRD supercharger.

Can somebody please tell me what that button next to the outside temp display does? It almost looks like a button for raising and lowering an antenna, but I'm not sure.
Old 06-22-03, 08:09 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally posted by squarehat
Nice looking truck. I'd personally take the LX470 over the G-Wagen, and I'd spend the money I saved on the TRD supercharger.

Can somebody please tell me what that button next to the outside temp display does? It almost looks like a button for raising and lowering an antenna, but I'm not sure.
Thanks, yes the button next to the temp is for the antenna. When the radio is on, pushing the left side of that button allows you to retract the antenna to any height you want, although you cannot retract it all the way as it will still stay up a few inches when the radio is on. Pushing the right side of the button while the radio is on will extend the antenna to any height you want. This feature will come in handy when I'm off-roading in Borneo while listening to the radio and need to avoid getting the antenna snagged by jungle vines

Turning the radio on automatically extends the antenna to whatever height was last selected with the antenna switch, while turning it off or switching from radio to CD/DVD will automatically retract it all the way.
Old 06-22-03, 02:24 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for confirming my hypothesis, Greg. I had a feeling the button was to allow one to retract the antenna mast while off-roading, without having to turn off the radio completely. Because of course, if the terrain is that harsh, the CD changer will likely skip too much to be of use
Old 07-04-03, 05:23 AM
bhowe
Driver School Candidate

Default GG, DVD Changer Location Question......

GG,

Wanted to ask you about the location you chose to install your DVD Changer....now that you've lived with it there for a while, has it's location hindered the "comfort" of any front seat passengers? Is the unit getting "kicked" about?

I'm wrestling with a rear location mounting vs. your choice (neither is ideal, as the center console would be best, but we know it won't fit - our old FJ80 accepted a changer perfectly, go figure).

Would you locate it in the same place if you did it all over again?

At least in your install location, you can access the changer to some degree from the front seat - no chance if located aft.

Thanks and happy fourth!

Bill
Old 07-08-03, 01:50 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Default Re: GG, DVD Changer Location Question......

Originally posted by bhowe
GG,

Wanted to ask you about the location you chose to install your DVD Changer....now that you've lived with it there for a while, has it's location hindered the "comfort" of any front seat passengers? Is the unit getting "kicked" about?

I'm wrestling with a rear location mounting vs. your choice (neither is ideal, as the center console would be best, but we know it won't fit - our old FJ80 accepted a changer perfectly, go figure).

Would you locate it in the same place if you did it all over again?

At least in your install location, you can access the changer to some degree from the front seat - no chance if located aft.

Thanks and happy fourth!

Bill
Hey Bill, yes I was a bit worried about it when the installer suggested that location - however now that it's there it hasn't been a problem. It sits up high enough that it does not impede upon my passenger's foot room in terms of length and there is sufficient height as well. My passengers always ask about it and when I tell them what it is they are careful to avoid accidentally kicking it, so far I haven't heard any complaints about lack of comfort. However if they had on a giant pair of boots or something I could see it being a problem for them. From the driver's seat I gotta remove my seatbelt and stretch a long ways to reach it, difficult to do in traffic but easy when I'm parked. If I had to do it all over again I think I would because I'm still not sure where else it could go. My installer toyed with the idea of putting it in the old sub enclosure or modifying the cargo area panels but I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of him hacking up the plastic, plus I think the front location is more convenient.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 07-08-03 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 08:42 AM
bhowe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the feedback - I think we'll try the same location.
Best,

Bill
Old 07-09-03, 10:26 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Not sure what changer you're planning to install, but you may want to compare its overall size to mine. According to THIS ALPINE LINK, the one I've got installed under the dash is 10" x 3" x 8"
Old 07-09-03, 07:39 PM
bhowe
Driver School Candidate

Yep, I know that model and the dimensions, very nice changer. We're going with a little known brand (Rosen 3210)...taking a leap of faith....the changer is same length (10") but a little "taller" at 3.75" and a little shallower at 6" deep. We'll see how things go......

Thanks,

Bill

Quick Reply: Pics of my "new" Lexus LX470