LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

AHC Acting Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 11:17 AM
karlssoni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHC Acting Up

A few days ago my AHC got a slight case of the sniffles. Everything seems to worl properly with one exception.

The High/Low switch seems to have no effect. After fussing with it a bit, the car ended up in low position, and operating the switch makes the position light on the dash flash, but the car doesn't rise to normal position. However, driving the car causes the car to rise to normal. Once in normal position the switch does not elicit the appropriate up/down movement. My first thought was that the switch is faulty, but then I would not expect it to activate the flashing light on the dash.

Suggestions?
Old 05-07-17, 11:01 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by karlssoni
A few days ago my AHC got a slight case of the sniffles. Everything seems to worl properly with one exception.

The High/Low switch seems to have no effect. After fussing with it a bit, the car ended up in low position, and operating the switch makes the position light on the dash flash, but the car doesn't rise to normal position. However, driving the car causes the car to rise to normal. Once in normal position the switch does not elicit the appropriate up/down movement. My first thought was that the switch is faulty, but then I would not expect it to activate the flashing light on the dash.

Suggestions?
As always, I'll start by asking have you checked the ahc fluid level? What color is the fluid? When is the last time the ahc fluid was changed? I would also check the 2 front height sensors and the single rear sensor. Report back with what you find.

hth
Old 05-08-17, 08:57 AM
karlssoni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I checked the fluid level, and it is about at the MAX mark. Now that I have had a chance to see a few pictures online, I would say it's a little dark. Just how dark will have to wait until I can suck some out for a good looksee. I bought the car (2002) a couple of years ago, and it appears that is has been serviced mostly by the dealer. I don't recall seeing any mention of AHC fluid change, so I assume it has not been changed.

The system has seemed trouble free, up until last week when it stopped responding to the hi/lo switch (other than the dash light). I've been looking online at procedures (I also have the shop manuals, so I'll be looking there, too) for changing the fluid, and they seem to require the car to be able to move up/down. If it won't go up/down, that seems to present a problem.