LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Transmission swap - 4 to 5 speed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 12:40 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission swap - 4 to 5 speed.

Hello everyone!

I would like some insight on this topic. I've been offered a LX470 `99 for a quite a deal. Quite keen on getting this since I want something different for a while.
Not bad KM's (or miles) and is in pretty good condition. It needs basic work, new tires and so forth but it drives alright for its age. The car starts and drives which is good enough for me right now.

Now... my question is related to transmission swaps. Please bear with me on this topic and any help would be amazing at this stage.
Although the engine is the 4.7 V8, runs fine and all... The transmission I believe is the 4 speed A343F on the `99-00 yet the `02 has a different 5 speed transmission and an updated engine?

I'm going to search for the upgraded 5 speed A750F automatic, what would I require to change the gearbox? Would it cause any engine issues since its not the same plant/power from the update? Would I need the engine AND gear box from an 02-03 ?

Anything I could consider? Maybe ECU problems or check engine lights? I'm assuming the same fittings and all would apply or is there a size difference or like any outlining issues with fitting the same?
The bundle of questions, but I'm just curious how to go about this or am I wasting my time or are there like conversion techniques I'm not aware of.

I'm thinking of what other information to put but I'm shooting in the dark here with little knowledge about this. If anyone has done this then this would be great to find out any issues or things to watch out for. Thanks!
Old 11-14-17, 11:23 AM
lt1fire
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALISC400
Hello everyone!

I would like some insight on this topic. I've been offered a LX470 `99 for a quite a deal. Quite keen on getting this since I want something different for a while.
Not bad KM's (or miles) and is in pretty good condition. It needs basic work, new tires and so forth but it drives alright for its age. The car starts and drives which is good enough for me right now.

Now... my question is related to transmission swaps. Please bear with me on this topic and any help would be amazing at this stage.
Although the engine is the 4.7 V8, runs fine and all... The transmission I believe is the 4 speed A343F on the `99-00 yet the `02 has a different 5 speed transmission and an updated engine?

I'm going to search for the upgraded 5 speed A750F automatic, what would I require to change the gearbox? Would it cause any engine issues since its not the same plant/power from the update? Would I need the engine AND gear box from an 02-03 ?

Anything I could consider? Maybe ECU problems or check engine lights? I'm assuming the same fittings and all would apply or is there a size difference or like any outlining issues with fitting the same?
The bundle of questions, but I'm just curious how to go about this or am I wasting my time or are there like conversion techniques I'm not aware of.

I'm thinking of what other information to put but I'm shooting in the dark here with little knowledge about this. If anyone has done this then this would be great to find out any issues or things to watch out for. Thanks!

While it is possible, the amount of money and time it would require, you would be better of just buying a 03+ with the 5 speed trans. I've never heard of anyone doing this before on a 100 series land cruiser for that reason.

You would need the trans, and all wiring harnesses and ecu's related to it, new center console, new gauges, etc....

if you want to know the differences between the years on the UZJ platform here is a good breakdown.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm
Old 12-27-17, 08:46 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the 5sp is nice, for normal city and hwy driving I have not noticed a huge difference with the 4 spd. The only time I have wished for the 5sp in the 01 was during off roading where the 5 spd has more and better options. I now have 01 and 07, so the best advice is above: buy an 03+ which gives the full benefits (also has VGRS) for the model.