LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Window retainer broke! Lexus service gets A+ (but with a big asterisk)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 05:39 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Window retainer broke! Lexus service gets A+ (but with a big asterisk)

Hey all, a few weeks ago the drivers' side window on my '98 wouldn't go up all the way, it would go up fine for about 3/4 of the way, but then it would fall forward as if it was off a track or something - then I guess the pinch protection would send it back down. I could repeat this phenomenon over and over. So I dropped it off at my dealer after work, and they were nice enough to give me a free loaner RX to drive home for the night. Stopped by the next day after work and my LX was ready and waiting.

So I would have to give my dealer a grade of A+ for their service since they had it fixed in 24 hours, gave me a free car wash (even put gloss on the tires ), and a free loaner - a nice RX

But this grade comes with a very big asterisk, my service advisor informed me that Lexus did NOT want to fix this problem under my CPO warranty, something about they refuse anything having to do with glass. So my guy said it was only after much pleading / begging on his part that they agreed to fix it for free. Now I could understand if Lexus wanted to refuse to fix a broken window under warranty that got hit by a rock or something, but this problem was inside the freaking door!

Here's what my printout said:
CAUSE RETAINER ON GLASS BROKEN.
CORRECTION F. DR GLS&/OR GLASS CHANNEL ONE SIDE/GOODWILL 1 TIME FOR CUST. SAT.
COMMENT GOODWILL REPLACEMENT 1 TIME ONLY IN THE INTEST OF CUST. SAT.
PART NUMBER LEX 68102-60241
DESCRIPTION GLASS SUB-ASSY, FR D
PARTS $218.76
LAB-MECHANICAL $37.00
TOTAL CHARGE $255.76
Goodwill one time only in the interest of customer satisfaction ?!? So I guess if this happens again I can expect to fork over $255.76, when I was assured by the salespeople that the CPO warranty was "bumper to bumper"

Let me stress once again that I give my dealer a grade of A+ and Lexus did end up fixing this for free, but now I'm worried about what else might go wrong with my recently acquired '98 and whether or not Lexus will put up another fuss about fixing it

Last edited by GatorGreg; 07-09-03 at 05:43 PM.