LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Pre-purchase inspection checklist

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 03:27 PM
medic6910
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-purchase inspection checklist

hello all. looking to get a 2006 LX470 and was wondering if someone has a good pre-purchase inspection checklist? i will be flying out of state to purchase the truck and drive it back home. Thanks in advance and i cant' wait to become immersed in this truck and forum!

Cheers.
Old 06-25-19, 03:44 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by medic6910
hello all. looking to get a 2006 LX470 and was wondering if someone has a good pre-purchase inspection checklist? i will be flying out of state to purchase the truck and drive it back home. Thanks in advance and i cant' wait to become immersed in this truck and forum!

Cheers.
100 series basic checklist...should get you started. Also check the 100 series FAQ section on ih8mud.com.

Best advice I could give would be to locate a dealer or indy shop and have a PPI done prior to buying. You can also go to lexus.com, register and log into the owners section. Input the VIN there and you can see any and all service done by Lexus or Toyota, as well as recommended service(s) declined by the previous owner(s).
The following users liked this post:
medic6910 (06-26-19)
Old 07-05-19, 01:25 PM
LSneewb
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the same boat...looking for that perfect LX. I have realized that the Toyota dealerships can do a cheaper PPI than Lexus. But No matter how good the PPI nothing replaces actually seeing and driving the LX yourself. I recently had a Toyota dealership do one on a LX in Texas for $90. When I was getting my LS I paid $225 to a lexus dealership to do one and they both gave pretty much the same info

Toyota however didnt tell me that the windshield was not OEM and that is something you should also look out for as a cheaper one would not offer the same sound deadening and can actually have water leaks.

My question was and still is ...Is there an appreciable difference in HP between the 2005 and 06/07 LX? Is it worth the $5K difference in price on the used car market?

Good luck with that trip
Old 07-05-19, 02:28 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by LSneewb
I am in the same boat...looking for that perfect LX. I have realized that the Toyota dealerships can do a cheaper PPI than Lexus. But No matter how good the PPI nothing replaces actually seeing and driving the LX yourself. I recently had a Toyota dealership do one on a LX in Texas for $90. When I was getting my LS I paid $225 to a lexus dealership to do one and they both gave pretty much the same info

Toyota however didnt tell me that the windshield was not OEM and that is something you should also look out for as a cheaper one would not offer the same sound deadening and can actually have water leaks.

My question was and still is ...Is there an appreciable difference in HP between the 2005 and 06/07 LX? Is it worth the $5K difference in price on the used car market?

2004 has 235 hp, later models have 275 hp. More important at least to me is a 5-speed trans in the '06 and '07. The later 2 years have variable valve timing giving the extra 40 horses...good on Toyota.

No idea as to the worth of the $5K difference...talk to a lender or two and see if the $5K reflects reality.

I'd counter that by noting that the engine also has a smog air pump, which if it goes south will run you major $$. Not to mention complicating work if you diy, or adding labor $$$ to some simple jobs at a dealer or indy shop. The air pump system, including valves in the exhaust manifold are easily defeated with a kit you can find by digging a bit on Tundra Solutions or Mud...good on you. BUT if you're in a state where smog checks include checking for a complete oem system, you are up the creek.

IMO, the glass is definitely on you. Some things like who made and installed the window, tire tread depth, etc. are your responsibility. I'm not sure how you could check for leaks during a PPI, other than with a power washer.
Old 07-05-19, 04:15 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LSneewb

Good luck with that trip
It's so hard to find a good LX! I've kept my eye out for an 06-07 for the past year and have all but given up on finding one. I thought I found "the one" a couple weeks back, but looked at the service history and saw the guy had it in just days prior to listing for sale for "bouncy suspension." I called my contact at Lexus and he said the quote to repair was $3500 and the owner declined. I asked the owner and he straight-up lied to my face, so I walked. It's still for sale as far as I can tell.
Old 07-08-19, 04:47 PM
LSneewb
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that a good clean LX is indeed very rare to come by on the used market and if one does happen to come along it will be gone before you can say "damn I wish I had pounced sooner"

I have now missed out on 2 one owner LX's at below market price and am now cursing myself for stopping to think twice as they had both been involved in "minor accidents" on the carfax.

I am going to keep this truck for as long as it runs so having a fender bender here and there will not affect me as I will not be re-selling it. I would rather have a clean well taken care of truck vs a "clean" title which is in rougher shape. Not to mention I will be saving thousands of $$ provided there is no major damage. If these trucks were more common I would not think this way at all.

I have changed my approach and will be waiting in camo for the next one owner LX to pop up on the market and then STRIKE