LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Bent Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19 | 02:57 PM
MikeC218
Driver School Candidate

Default Bent Valves?

New here but have been reading the posts for my 2000 Lx470, thanks for the past help.

I noticed my pulley tensioner was rattling so I replaced the pulley thinking it was out of balance. It seemed fine, so I went to the store, and on the way back, the car dies, I coast into a gas station and pop the hood. The belt had jumped off the crankshaft pulley and pushed it back toward the engine. The belt is now on the Harmonic Stabilizer. Instead of replacing the pulley myself, I called my local guy to tow it into his shop and repair it. He installed a new pulley, and the car would not start. He replaced the spark plugs, and it would not start. Then he tells me that some plastic from the pulley breaking got into the timing chain and made it jump six teeth. His final diagnosis was bent valves.
I check the fuses, they were fine, and the key is communicating with the car. So, I ran a compression test, and all of the cylinders came up with 88 to 90 PSI. Is this possible? I know the readings are way to low but is there another reason for all of them to be this low and consistently the same PSI?
Old 07-25-19 | 03:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeC218
New here but have been reading the posts for my 2000 Lx470, thanks for the past help.

I noticed my pulley tensioner was rattling so I replaced the pulley thinking it was out of balance. It seemed fine, so I went to the store, and on the way back, the car dies, I coast into a gas station and pop the hood. The belt had jumped off the crankshaft pulley and pushed it back toward the engine. The belt is now on the Harmonic Stabilizer. Instead of replacing the pulley myself, I called my local guy to tow it into his shop and repair it. He installed a new pulley, and the car would not start. He replaced the spark plugs, and it would not start. Then he tells me that some plastic from the pulley breaking got into the timing chain and made it jump six teeth. His final diagnosis was bent valves.

I check the fuses, they were fine, and the key is communicating with the car. So, I ran a compression test, and all of the cylinders came up with 88 to 90 PSI. Is this possible? I know the readings are way to low but is there another reason for all of them to be this low and consistently the same PSI?
If by "pulley breaking" as your guy says, I'd note our '01 has all metal pulleys. Not to mention how does the plastic from the pulley penetrate the engine front cover where the timing BELT, NOT CHAIN, lives??

Your compression test is not too bad for an almost 20 year truck...uniformity is nice. Serp belt tensioners and idler pulleys do wear out, I'd suggest replacing them with Toyota parts. I might also consider finding a 2nd opinion and/or a new mechanic
Old 07-26-19 | 07:31 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up Good to see...

...you found some assistance on mud.