LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Move from 2014 RX 350 to much older LX (or GX)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19 | 02:07 PM
aacl
Driver School Candidate

Default Move from 2014 RX 350 to much older LX (or GX)?

Hi everyone. Long-time reader, novice poster. I currently a 2014 RX 350. The car is fantastic, no doubt. It would probably outlive me. However, lately I've been considering to replace it with a larger vehicle, namely for the extra seats. However I didn't want to purchase a new (or even used) car where I'd be making payments.

In my mind, I would not have to insure it as much, so it would be cheaper, along with lower registration fees. I know I'd be paying more in fuel as MPG is lower and calls for premium. I would just need to anticipate the maintenance costs. And if I sell the RX, I can capture back some of it's value.

Am I crazy to look into a much older LX or even GX (like early/mid-2000's) if the price were right and I could determine the vehicle was mechanically sound? I realize I'd also give up some safety tech. Aesthetics are not a priority (reasonably worn, but not trashed). I'm thinking 8-11k?

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-11-19 | 10:55 AM
CloudCity
Driver School Candidate

I think in that price range you're best seeking a GX as that will net you a better condition vehicle as the LX caries a premium for rust-free examples. Just be sure to have it inspected by a qualified Toyota shop, and check underneath for rust. Too many people buy these rigs without ever peeking under one.
Old 11-12-19 | 03:38 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

I had a rx350, good little suvs for extra space you can't really beat the Toyota sequoia they are cheaper and if you can get inside a 2008+ that would be awesome. Older LX that are well maintained are very rare and if you do find one they aren't cheaper than 12 to 15k. GX is also a good option but its not really roomy inside - I felt its very narrow for some reason. even the rx felt wider. The person sitting on the 5th middle seat /2nd row in the GX has no space if any. if you can get into a 2008 +lx570 that would be better, less maintenance timing chain etc. or the Toyota as mentioned.
Originally Posted by aacl
Hi everyone. Long-time reader, novice poster. I currently a 2014 RX 350. The car is fantastic, no doubt. It would probably outlive me. However, lately I've been considering to replace it with a larger vehicle, namely for the extra seats. However I didn't want to purchase a new (or even used) car where I'd be making payments.

In my mind, I would not have to insure it as much, so it would be cheaper, along with lower registration fees. I know I'd be paying more in fuel as MPG is lower and calls for premium. I would just need to anticipate the maintenance costs. And if I sell the RX, I can capture back some of it's value.

Am I crazy to look into a much older LX or even GX (like early/mid-2000's) if the price were right and I could determine the vehicle was mechanically sound? I realize I'd also give up some safety tech. Aesthetics are not a priority (reasonably worn, but not trashed). I'm thinking 8-11k?

Thanks for your input.