LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

PLEASE HELP (audio issues)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 12:46 PM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy PLEASE HELP (audio issues)

Hi all, I'm the proud new owner of a 2002 LX470. Immediately upon taking it home, I threw in my cassette adapter and cranked it expecting to enjoy the ML sound. As soon as the volume reaches a pleasing level it begins cutting out; sometimes for 1 second or less and the audio will then play uninterrupted for a couple seconds more or less, but cut right back out again. It is definitely volume dependent as it can play low volumes absolutely fine, but it is quiet and unenjoyable. I wanted Lexus to diagnose it professionally but they want $150 diagnostics fee (per hour) LOL. I had a new amp shipped and it arrived today but to no avail. The problem persists EVEN with the new amp, in fact its maybe gotten worse. I'm taking the car back to school and am wondering what to do with it. I pondered an amp bypass, but how involved/time consuming is that? As I said, I love the thing to death but I just cant enjoy the entire experience until the speakers crank. Any response is very appreciated! Thank you.
Old 01-16-20, 04:50 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I can’t offer any technical advice, sorry. But, you are likely to get more reads and responses if you post the same question on the Audio&Video Forum. Good luck, and enjoy your LX.

Old 01-23-20, 06:24 AM
LX4702003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it cutting out or just sounds like trash? It is common for the speakers to be blown on a truck this old. Replacing the foam surrounds on the speakers is one of the first things I did when I got my 03.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/toyot...it-fsk-6b.html

Old 01-23-20, 06:59 PM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you very much, that is most definitely the culprit. My question is, is there any type of speaker at all that can fit in there, and if not, how bad is it to be using the audio system with the speakers in such a poor condition (bass is all the way down)?
Old 01-24-20, 04:45 AM
LX4702003
Driver School Candidate

You will find a lot of debate on whether to repair or replace them. After reading quite a bit about them on the IH8MUD forum I decided to repair mine. Each speaker has its own enclosure. They are non-standard sizes and non-standard impedances. After reading for quite a while I decided to repair mine. You can send them to the site I linked if you are comfortable removing the speakers but not repairing them. That service will cost less than buying one replacement speaker from Lexus.
Old 07-13-20, 01:25 PM
omarcheema
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusgxman
Hi all, I'm the proud new owner of a 2002 LX470. Immediately upon taking it home, I threw in my cassette adapter and cranked it expecting to enjoy the ML sound. As soon as the volume reaches a pleasing level it begins cutting out; sometimes for 1 second or less and the audio will then play uninterrupted for a couple seconds more or less, but cut right back out again. It is definitely volume dependent as it can play low volumes absolutely fine, but it is quiet and unenjoyable. I wanted Lexus to diagnose it professionally but they want $150 diagnostics fee (per hour) LOL. I had a new amp shipped and it arrived today but to no avail. The problem persists EVEN with the new amp, in fact its maybe gotten worse. I'm taking the car back to school and am wondering what to do with it. I pondered an amp bypass, but how involved/time consuming is that? As I said, I love the thing to death but I just cant enjoy the entire experience until the speakers crank. Any response is very appreciated! Thank you.
I have the exact same problem with my 2005 LX 470 ML system. The sound cuts out, all channels. When I move the fader control to the front speakers and the sound is fine in both left and right speakers. If I add the rear speakers (even a little bit using the fader setting), the sound starts cutting out. If you turn the volume control down all all channels and speakers work fine. If the volume is turned up past 1/4, the sound cuts out. I presume this is a power amp issue but since it works on the front channels, I am not sure.

Old 08-24-20, 08:57 AM
kash80
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2000 LX470, my speakers were in similar condition when i purchased it last year, I replaced the front speakers with JBL GX608C (2.3 ohms closet i can find to the factory ohms) and repaired my rear speakers and sub with the repair kit from https://www.simplyspeakers.com/ and now the system works great.

Kash