LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Adjustable Suspension Weirdness?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-03, 03:43 PM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Suspension Weirdness?

Anyone had any problems with their LX470 adjustable suspension settings?

My '99 has exhibited a weird symptom a few times:

After setting it to "comfort" (softest setting) for a stretch of highway, maybe 5 to 15 minutes at 50 to 70mph, it becomes stuck on "super sport" (stiffest setting), and won't change to anything else despite the selector switch setting.

The only way to make it perform normally again per the selector switch setting is to shut the vehicle off, wait a few moments, then start it back up again.

It behaves as if the suspension computer is being overloaded with sensor inputs (memory stack overload) caused by the increased travel and dynamics of the soft setting, especially at high speed & bumpy highway...then requiring a "hard reset" in the form of shut down and restart, in order to resume normal function.

TIA for any feedback from others on this issue.

Bob H.
Old 09-10-03, 08:50 PM
tantheman
Driver School Candidate

Default suspension

My 2000 LX has always had weird quirks with suspension since I purchased new. My car raises and lowers sporadically when setting still. Lexus dealer has checked several times and "adjusts settings" each time which helps for 10-20k miles. You seem to know more than most technicians I know. I believe it is one of thoses poor engineered luxuries that we will have to tolerate. Your problem should store in the on board computer. I'd have dealer run diagnostic and see what shows up!
Old 09-12-03, 05:41 PM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

Had the problem again today, with clarifying conditions.

It goes into a very stiff mode like the most "sport" mode, regardless of selector switch setting, after more than about 3 hours of continuous highway driving. It can be reset by stopping and shutting of the vehicle, then restarting.

(This is also the mode that the system defaults to when the selector switch is disconnected (i.e. when the switch is removed for service and the vehicle is driven with the switch removed), so I believe it must be a fail-safe mode.)

Something is crapping out after about 3 hours of continuous run time, and the system is defaulting to full-sport mode.

Any further comments / info welcome.
Old 05-12-04, 10:29 PM
RonThompso
Driver School Candidate

Did this problem ever get sorted?

I've had similar problems on the 98 LX470, but the dropping/raising occurs from the first stop after starting.

I've now set the suspension on one less than comfort, and it seems to have cured the problem, but not sure how long for.

The ride seems still a bit hard and bouncy-maybe I'll get the shocks checked again, even though I replaced 6 months ago.