LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

lx 470 or toyota sequioa

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 01:09 PM
JERS69
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lx 470 or toyota sequioa

I need some opinions on a vehicle. If you could purchase a 2001 Toyota Sequioa with 35-50k miles for the same price as a 1998-2000 Lexus lx 470, which would you choose and why. Which year LX470 has the best performance record...
Old 09-02-03, 07:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default what do you want??

You have to decide what you're looking for, as these are very different trucks. The LX470 is a smaller, but much more refined and is a Lexus and everything that goes with that name like dealer service and what not. The Sequoia is larger, better suited to fit 8 people. But you give up the nicer interior, sophisticated suspension, dealer service, etc.
Old 09-03-03, 09:40 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

We were in a similar predicament last year. We wanted to buy a brand new Sequoia or at least one with 10k or less. We actually were on our way home from the Toyota dealership, after they would not bargain with us when we saw a 99Landcruiser at a used car dealership. I was instantly hooked after test driving it, so we bought it. The Land Cruiser (Same as Lexus LX470) drives WORLDS better than the Seq. To me, the Sequoia felt bulky and wallowed through turns. The Land Cruiser, with similar weight felt much more sure footed and easier to control. Probably this is because the the Seq. is based on the Tundra truck, while the Land Cruiser/LX470 is built on its own custom chassis. Although there is a little less space in the Land Cruiser, it is still plenty big enough. We also liked that the 3rd row seating folded up to the side leaving a deep, open space, as opposed to the Seq. that folded forward only, which did not leave us enough room to put our dog cage in the back for traveling. I did not want to have to take the 3rd row seats out every time we traveled, and we need the 3rd row seats when we go to see my family in Chicago. The Sequoia would not allow us to travel with 3rd row seats, while the Land Cruiser does. If the Land Cruiser/LX470 does not have enough room for you, then you need an Excursion, or a Van!
Old 09-03-03, 10:18 AM
JERS69
Driver

I do not need more space. I need a nice business vehicle that has a gvwr over 6000 and they all fit. I only have one child and me and my wife, what kind of gas mileage are you getting in that cruiser?
Old 09-03-03, 11:01 AM
LuvLuxury
Driver

JERS

I have driven both extensively and I believe that hands down you should check out the LX. Honestly you just have to drive both. I would drive the Sequoia first then head straight over to the nearest Lexus dealership to check out the differences. EX: Turning is much smoother, acceleration "feels" faster, shifts are much smoother, everything is just smoother. Just my opinion but check it out....

LL
Old 09-03-03, 11:04 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Jers69,

I purchased a 2000 LX470 a few months ago. My final two choices was a 2003 Sequoia Limited and the LX470, which I purchased. The Sequoia was a nice vehicle but I agree with the earlier post when it come down to cornering. It weaved and bobbed like the Escalade, it felt top heavy. I really didn't like that feeling. Also the Sequoia's interior (I only test drove the limited) looked and felt cheap (no offense intended). Fake wood, hard leather and cheap plastic everywhere. I couldn't envision paying $40,000 for that. After we visited the Lexus dealer and drove the LX470 we were instantly hooked (I have pictures of it on this site). The ride was extremely comfortable and the interior was plush. There are features galore from height adjustments to comfort adjustments (shocks) that made this purchase all the more easier. All of that for $2,000 less and a 3 year 100,000 mile certified warrenty.

Go test drive both, better yet do what I did. Take the Sequoia over to the Lexus dealership (or vice versa) and put them side by side. Drive one, then the other, make sure you pick a route with curves and a couple of highway bumps. There's no doubt in my mind which one you will choose.

By the way, I thought the vehicle had to be new in order to receive that tax break?
Old 09-03-03, 02:38 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Gas mileage is predictably bad- I get 12-13 around town, and 15 mpg on highway trips(no matter what speed I seem to drive). The difference between Land Cruiser and Sequoia mileage is pretty minimal I believe, 14-17 on Sequoia? And the LC/LX470 do require 91 octane gas by the way, but I don't know about the Sequoia.
Old 09-04-03, 09:46 AM
JERS69
Driver

To be honest I wanted a new Escalade since the new body style came out, I went down to blow 50+k on one and I was so disappointed in the way it drove and was inside that my wife & I almost puked when we left. Then I thought Sequioa 2001 around $28000 okay maybe. I went and drove it and I felt like I was sitting in a square bow with no real comfort or bells & whistles. Then I noticed a 1998 lx on the internet with 60k miles for around 28 and thought, "hum, maybe that is what we are looking for. I have a 99 Lexus gs300 that I love to drive in, although I have had some problems with it in the past month(a/c compressor, door lock accuator, starter and a battery in the same month. Anything that I should stay away from in terms of looking at used????I have decided that they are just vehicles and why try to look rich and buy a new one, when you can be more rich and sensible by going with the used.
Old 09-04-03, 11:10 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Jers69,

I too tried a new Escalade, as a matter of fact, it was the first SUV that I test drove. The thought was that I was going to be so impressed by it that I wouldn't want to go look at any thing else. The outside is very attractive in my opinion but when I took a look at the interior, I could not believe my eyes. Was this really a $58,000 vehicle that I was looking to purchase?! Enough about the Escalade, I'm getting sick again.

I personally will not own another new car. You will never recoup that initial cost. If it is piece of mind you are looking for go with the certified (CPO) 2000 model. There are some safety features that was added in that model that will serve a family well. You can't go wrong with the 3 yr or 100,000 miles warrenty. If it is certified then the Lexus dealer have already inspected the vehicle and if they missed anything it's covered under the warrenty plus you get a loaner while it's in for repairs. It was that warrenty that put the icing on the LX470 for me.
Old 09-04-03, 12:48 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

I don't know of many common problems on these cars, they are built SO well. Parts are certainly more expensive than your average domestic, but the odds of something big breaking is low, provided regular maintanence was done. I found that maintanence items were somewhat expensive, drive belt was $70, timing belt was expensive too. But that is a small price to pay for such a refined vehicle. My car has 104k with no problems, and it still runs like new. We frequently take it on 500 mile trips to Chicago and have never had a problem. I know that Lexus dealers keep records of all the cars it services, so you should be able to get a good history from the dealer, just bring in the vin#.
Old 09-05-03, 09:26 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Default fyi on gas

Just an FYI...the person that I purchased my 99 470 from told me I didnt have to use the 91..he said 87 was fine, that he used it all the time. He said if you dont start them on the 91 they will run fine on the 87 so that is what I did. Mine runs fine and I save a good 10 cents per gallon in my area.
Old 09-05-03, 03:28 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Do you ever get any engine knock? Have you tried 91 and tried to notice the difference? My guess is all that happens is the timing gets pulled back a little on 87, making for a little less get up and go. Probably won't matter much if you drive easy, and don't pull a trailer or have a big load.
Old 09-06-03, 06:33 AM
idsrvit
Driver

No...I have never tried the 91...I have a good friend who has an 02 Land Cruiser and he told me the same thing, so I started with 87 the first time I filled up. The previous owner told me that was all he ever used....he works indirectly for Lexus (in repairs) and they both said the same thing. I have no clue about the scientifics of gas octane...but my friend told me if a car is not started on a higher octane gas...they will not "want" it. He used to work for the Volkswagen plant and has been around cars, so I took his word for it. Apparently if you always use 91 and switch suddenly to 87 you will notice a lot of knocking and pinging I am a Mother of two boys, who are with me 99% of the time...so I am not driving at excessive speeds often. I had a 4 Runner prior to my 470...so the speed/get up and go I inherited is way more than I am used to I am about to send it in for the 60k check up...I will ask the techs their opinion and see if they spot any visable reprocussions due to the 87.
Old 09-07-03, 10:26 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

jers69, get an lx470. It is better than the sequoia and u can tell ur friends that u own a very expensive Lexus.
Old 09-11-03, 11:12 AM
cjnmel
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up i agree....

go with the LX470. you will not regret it!

Quick Reply: lx 470 or toyota sequioa