LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

VSC TRAC/VSC OFF lights stay on after disengaging CDL

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 09:00 AM
roostercha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC TRAC/VSC OFF lights stay on after disengaging CDL

I am looking at a 2001 LX470 with 148k miles to replace my higher mile GX. As the title says, after disengaging the CDL, both the VSC TRAC/VSC off lights stay on. The lights do clear after restarting the vehicle and both come on again immediately when engaging the CDL. CDL engages and disengages perfectly. Shifts in and out of low range without issue. No other warning lights are on.

Has anyone had this issue? I snooped around on IH8MUD and it seems to be a common issue (most guys seem to ignore it), but no one has a good answer to the cause or a fix. Some have said there are switches in the center diff that will gum up and not work properly if the CDL is never used. This is a garage queen in AZ so the CDL was probably rarely or never used. Also saw some people have the lights pop on when bulbs go out in the dash. The "D" for drive light is out so that could be the cause. Rain leaking through the sun roof and messing with electrical. Master cylinder issues and ABS issues (although these seemed to popped the CEL and ABS light too).

For anyone who had the issue and ignored it, did it lead to other issues? Did VSC come back on after restart or was it just a sensor/light issue?

All advice appreciated!

Looking forward to going up a size in the Lexus family!
Old 06-26-20, 11:04 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by roostercha
I am looking at a 2001 LX470 with 148k miles to replace my higher mile GX. As the title says, after disengaging the CDL, both the VSC TRAC/VSC off lights stay on. The lights do clear after restarting the vehicle and both come on again immediately when engaging the CDL. CDL engages and disengages perfectly. Shifts in and out of low range without issue. No other warning lights are on.

Has anyone had this issue? I snooped around on IH8MUD and it seems to be a common issue (most guys seem to ignore it), but no one has a good answer to the cause or a fix. Some have said there are switches in the center diff that will gum up and not work properly if the CDL is never used. This is a garage queen in AZ so the CDL was probably rarely or never used. Also saw some people have the lights pop on when bulbs go out in the dash. The "D" for drive light is out so that could be the cause. Rain leaking through the sun roof and messing with electrical. Master cylinder issues and ABS issues (although these seemed to popped the CEL and ABS light too).

For anyone who had the issue and ignored it, did it lead to other issues? Did VSC come back on after restart or was it just a sensor/light issue?
I've had the lights go on combined with no function of the brake lights. Cause was damage in the wire bundle between the truck body and tailgate...Yota doesn't make the harness long enough to avoid wire breakage due to bending as the tailgate is open and closed. Replacing the wiring fixed the issue. That was our issue, but the light-up combination can be caused by many things.

As to the "D" light on the speedo being out...many remove that light because they get sick of looking at a very bright green light while driving at night. It was the first thing I did right after removing 3rd row seats...not uncommon in the least. Saab did it right with a "night" switch on the dash...it shut down all dash lighting except for high beams and master caution light if there were a problem.

Last edited by hankinid; 06-26-20 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 11:26 AM
roostercha
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply.

Good call on the D light on the dash! And it really does seem like these two lights coming on really are a universal panic button for the vehicle. Have seen numerous people say they come on with the CEL if the fuel cap isn't tight or broken. Hopefully someone else will have these both stay on after disengaging the CDL.
Old 06-26-20, 05:19 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Thank you for the reply.

Good call on the D light on the dash! And it really does seem like these two lights coming on really are a universal panic button for the vehicle. Have seen numerous people say they come on with the CEL if the fuel cap isn't tight or broken. Hopefully someone else will have these both stay on after disengaging the CDL.
You're welcome.

Fuel cap issues are not uncommon though we've never had the issue on an '01 with around 200K...same with fuel breather near the filter on the '01's.
Old 06-26-20, 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

All advice appreciated!

Looking forward to going up a size in the Lexus family!

The VSC lights are supposed to go on when the CEL light comes on. I have the same 4.7 as you and when my exhaust was leaking, it was the cause. A bad O2 sensor will do this. That said, the lights are supposed to come on when you turn on the CDL....I think you have an issue scan the port.

VSC and trac are always supposed to come on with the CDL on
Old 06-27-20, 08:40 AM
roostercha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The VSC lights are supposed to go on when the CEL light comes on. I have the same 4.7 as you and when my exhaust was leaking, it was the cause. A bad O2 sensor will do this. That said, the lights are supposed to come on when you turn on the CDL....I think you have an issue scan the port.

VSC and trac are always supposed to come on with the CDL on
Yeah I don’t have the CEL light coming on so probably not engine/fuel related. And according to the owners manual, VSC OFF should come on when locking the CDL and of the VSC TRAC comes on, it is an indicator of an issue. VSC OFF is also supposed to turn off when unlocking CDL. Both lights stay on when CDL is unlocked, until I restart the truck. CDL light functions properly. A lot of guys are saying this is common and to ignore it. Just want to be sure of what I’m getting into.
Old 06-27-20, 08:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah I don’t have the CEL light coming on so probably not engine/fuel related. And according to the owners manual, VSC OFF should come on when locking the CDL and of the VSC TRAC comes on, it is an indicator of an issue. VSC OFF is also supposed to turn off when unlocking CDL. Both lights stay on when CDL is unlocked, until I restart the truck. CDL light functions properly. A lot of guys are saying this is common and to ignore it. Just want to be sure of what I’m getting into.
When the lights are on just scan with a code reader.