LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Help with Suspension Conversion Kit 2002 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 12:16 PM
SYF2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Suspension Conversion Kit 2002 LX470

Hello -

This is my first time posting on the board. I own a 2002 Lexus LX470. In September 2020 I hit a large pothole on the highway which broke my front driver's side air strut. After having it looked at by my mechanic as well as a few other shops that specialize in offroad mods/upgrades, the consensus was that it would be best for me to go ahead and swap out the air suspension for a standard spring suspension and lift. I've found 2 shops that can take care of the work, however, both have indicated that due to supply chain issues caused by COVID, the parts/kit is not currently available. Originally, I was told that the ETA for the parts being in stock would be January 2021. The shops are telling me the parts still aren't available.

Over the past 4 months, I've tried contacting multiple vendors online with the same result. Does anyone have suggestions on sites/vendors I could try to see if I can find a conversion kit?

Thanks,

Nate

Old 02-08-21, 03:23 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by SYF2002
Hello -

This is my first time posting on the board. I own a 2002 Lexus LX470. In September 2020 I hit a large pothole on the highway which broke my front driver's side air strut. After having it looked at by my mechanic as well as a few other shops that specialize in offroad mods/upgrades, the consensus was that it would be best for me to go ahead and swap out the air suspension for a standard spring suspension and lift. I've found 2 shops that can take care of the work, however, both have indicated that due to supply chain issues caused by COVID, the parts/kit is not currently available. Originally, I was told that the ETA for the parts being in stock would be January 2021. The shops are telling me the parts still aren't available.

Over the past 4 months, I've tried contacting multiple vendors online with the same result. Does anyone have suggestions on sites/vendors I could try to see if I can find a conversion kit?

Thanks,

Nate
I'd check out the 100 Series forum on ih8mud.com. You're looking for Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser parts. Shocks all around, Toyota, Bilstein, Slee Offroad, and a ton of others. Same with Land Cruiser torsion bars and rear springs. That's it.

It's reported to run around $2K+

Why is everybody recommending removing the AHC's HYDRAULIC suspension while you've only got a front shock (I'd do them in pairs) that needs fixing. Sounds obviously that they make a lot more $$$ by replacing the hydraulic parts v. installing 2 new shocks. If you're dealing with mechanics who think the truck has an air suspension, I'd find a competent mechanic.

Last edited by hankinid; 02-08-21 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 08:32 AM
SYF2002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'd check out the 100 Series forum on ih8mud.com. You're looking for Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser parts. Shocks all around, Toyota, Bilstein, Slee Offroad, and a ton of others. Same with Land Cruiser torsion bars and rear springs. That's it.

It's reported to run around $2K+

Why is everybody recommending removing the AHC's HYDRAULIC suspension while you've only got a front shock (I'd do them in pairs) that needs fixing. Sounds obviously that they make a lot more $$$ by replacing the hydraulic parts v. installing 2 new shocks. If you're dealing with mechanics who think the truck has an air suspension, I'd find a competent mechanic.
Thanks for the detailed response and advice! What I'm being told by the mechanics I've consulted with on this is that they don't have anyone on staff familiar with this generation of Land Cruiser.

Coincidentally, last night I talked with a friend who used to run a repair shop and he also suggested I check out Slee Offroad.

These are the parts he recommended I purchase:

1. Front Torsion Bars - OME Torsion Bar Set - '98-07 Land Cruiser - Gas
OME303001
2. Front Shocks -
OME Nitrocharger Sport Shock - Front - '98-07 Land Cruiser
N60000-S × 2
Adjustable Front Control Arms - SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms - 98-07 Land Cruiser 100 Series - Pair
SPC-25455
4. Slee Differential Drop Kit - SLEE - Differential Drop Kit - '98-07 Land Cruiser / Lexus LX470
SOK006
5. Rear Springs - OME Coil Springs - Rear - '91-07 Land Cruiser - PAIR
OME2860
6. Rear Shocks - OME Nitrocharger Sport Shock - Rear - '98-07 Land Cruiser
N60002-S × 2
Rear Shock Guards - OME Rear Shock Guard
OME661
Old 02-09-21, 09:21 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SYF2002
Thanks for the detailed response and advice! What I'm being told by the mechanics I've consulted with on this is that they don't have anyone on staff familiar with this generation of Land Cruiser.

Coincidentally, last night I talked with a friend who used to run a repair shop and he also suggested I check out Slee Offroad.

These are the parts he recommended I purchase:

1. Front Torsion Bars - OME Torsion Bar Set - '98-07 Land Cruiser - Gas
OME303001
2. Front Shocks -
OME Nitrocharger Sport Shock - Front - '98-07 Land Cruiser
N60000-S × 2
Adjustable Front Control Arms - SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms - 98-07 Land Cruiser 100 Series - Pair
SPC-25455
4. Slee Differential Drop Kit - SLEE - Differential Drop Kit - '98-07 Land Cruiser / Lexus LX470
SOK006
5. Rear Springs - OME Coil Springs - Rear - '91-07 Land Cruiser - PAIR
OME2860
6. Rear Shocks - OME Nitrocharger Sport Shock - Rear - '98-07 Land Cruiser
N60002-S × 2
Rear Shock Guards - OME Rear Shock Guard
OME661
Looking at the list, items 3 and 4 are optional but you can continue to use what are currently on the truck.

Are you able to find a shop/mechanic who is familiar with the 100 Series generation??

Old 02-09-21, 10:31 AM
SYF2002
Driver School Candidate

There is a 4 Wheel Parts here in Louisville that says they can do the conversion. Since late October, they've told me that they are still waiting for the parts to become available (I believe they are contracted with Dorman) and that I have the option to purchase the parts on my own but this will invalidate the lifetime warranty on the installation. At this point, I think I'm ready to assume the risk and move forward with purchasing from Slee.

Do you have familiarity with 4WP and their general reputation? My brother-in-law has taken multiple trucks in for mods and says the work has always been solid, but they are fairly slow at turning around jobs.
Old 02-09-21, 11:49 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

There's a 4wp in Boise but I've not done business with them.

Imo, their "gotta' use our parts or kiss off the warranty" is bravo-sierra. They can step on the parts prices like crazy and you can't do a thing about it if you want the warranty.

Both Lexus and Lexus/Toyota dealers here have no problems using parts I supply, as long as they're oem.
The following users liked this post:
SYF2002 (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 12:49 PM
SYF2002
Driver School Candidate

Totally agree on the use of their parts, it's a pretty ridiculous policy. Not to mention, they've not responded to my last few inquires on parts being in stock which has been kind of annoying as well.

I haven't reached out to the local Lexus/Toyota dealers here due to everyone bringing up the usual scare tactics about paying astronomical prices by going to the dealer. It would be worth at least getting quotes if they are willing to warranty OEM parts that I purchase.

I appreciate all your advice related to this. When the strut broke, I had no idea this was going to take so long to resolve. Can't wait to finally get everything taken care of and back to business as usual.
Old 02-10-21, 09:29 AM
Yngmrovile
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4851069127 is in stock through partsouq for $200usd plus the o rings for ahc line and a few qts of fluid for sytem flush. You would be back on the road no later than this time next week. Any competent tech could do this repair and the ride is fabulous. The system is not complex and any reputable shop would do the repair.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AHC Bleed Process.pdf (219.2 KB, 1262 views)
Old 02-10-21, 10:12 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Partsouq is quick to ship and normally beats the best pricing for Toyota/Lexus parts in the US.
Old 02-10-21, 10:58 AM
SYF2002
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys -

Thanks for the additional info on the part available at PartSouq. Apologies in advance for my lack of mechanical expertise, I looked up the part number on the site and saw that these would be replacement shock absorbers for the front of my LX. Were you suggesting that I purchase these instead of the front shocks I found on Slee Offroad? Just want to make sure I'm clear on what is being suggested. Would the advantage be the quicker delivery time and simplicity of the system design helping to ensure a smooth installation?
Old 02-10-21, 11:03 AM
Yngmrovile
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be replacement shock w/ahc

The following users liked this post:
SYF2002 (02-15-21)