LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2006 LX470-ABS, TRAC OFF, CENTER DIFF LOCK/rotten egg smell/struggle to accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 09:52 PM
bellandedm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2006 LX470-ABS, TRAC OFF, CENTER DIFF LOCK/rotten egg smell/struggle to accelerate

So… I purchased my 06 LX470 a year ago. All services up to date and only had one owner… the owner literally had this baby spoiled- serviced only at Lexus and performed every recommended service you can think of. I purchase it with about 122k miles, completely clean- no regular wear and tear and no issues at all. Basically… a freaking unicorn. Well, at about 135k miles I began experiencing the ABS, TRAC OFF, CENTER DIFF light etc. I noticed these lights trigger after sitting in park for a short time period. The temporary fix I found was to hold the center diff button (located under emergency light button) for a few seconds and drive in reverse for about 50ft. This fixes the issue and I figured there was some sort of sensor issues. The issue still occurs but the same temporary fix has helped and I haven’t thought much of it since it happens so rarely. The next issue I had was probably my fault, but I left the lights on one night and of course it drained the battery. With the weather getting colder, I was surprised that I only had an issue with the vehicle not starting immediately. Easy fix.. I just turned the key in the ignition and gave it some gas and it started after about 3 seconds. About a week ago, I started noticing a rotten egg smell. Part of me thinks it’s battery related, but when I lay out all these problems it seems much bigger than that. HOWEVER, my truck has about 143k miles on it now and today, I turned on my truck with no issues, but when I put it in drive and tried to accelerate it wouldn’t go anywhere. Now (I probably shouldn’t have done this) but I didn’t bother changing gears, I simply continued to accelerate and it jolted but began to drive. Once I was able to leave the parking lot, I turned onto the street and noticed my truck was struggling to accelerate over 10mph. Well, I hit a stop light… once I tried going again- same issue. I had to push the gas pedal with force in order to get to 20mph but it still felt like it didn’t want to go. I continued accelerating and once I surpassed 20mph- no issue. At least not until another red light came… same issue. I did the same thing and I was good as long as I didn’t have to stop. No lights appeared on the dash so I kept it moving. I got to my sons daycare and turned off my truck in hopes that it would fix the issue- once I got back in… the issue didn’t occur again. This is literally the first day of the issue occurring though. So I don’t have enough factors to try to get a diag. Even with these issues, still no CEL. I ran my scanner and no history codes so I’m hoping someone on here can assist. I’ve only driven it with this issue on streets with a speed limit of 40mph- I’m too scared to drive it on the highway. I’ll continue posting updates, but I’m probably going to take it to Lexus. Just trying to get some opinions before doing that.
Old 11-18-21, 10:39 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by bellandedm
So… I purchased my 06 LX470 a year ago. All services up to date and only had one owner… the owner literally had this baby spoiled- serviced only at Lexus and performed every recommended service you can think of.
Nothing like a good wall of text if you want to take a nap.

You need to take it to a good Lexus dealer or nearby indy shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus. Toyota diagnostic software should find the problem(s).