LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Towing Experiences with LX470?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 04:52 AM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Experiences with LX470?

Has anyone tried towing with the LX470?

If so, please share your experiences - any problems?

I'm especially interested in how the vehicle drivetrain and brakes hold up under the added load of towing.

I recently added a Reese towing hitch and wiring to my '99. Wondering if additional transmission oil cooling would be a good investment too, prior to starting mucho towing.

TIA.
Old 10-06-03, 05:48 AM
tabraha
Driver

I've got a draw-tite on mine and a tranny cooler on the front. I have not hauled anything with the LX yet but I have a Tundra with a similar setup and have not had any problems hauling stuff. I will be hauling stuff with the Lexus pretty regularly but won't have any real world feedback until December. I can take pics of the installed tranny cooler if you wish though.

Tad
Old 10-06-03, 12:11 PM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

tabraha, you say you have a tranny cooler - did you add a cooler yourself, then? What kind, etc.?

The LX470 already has a OE transmission oil cooler, so I'm wondering if it will suffice as-is, or if an aftermarket oil cooler is really necessary.

The OE cooler looks quite substantial.

Also, what sort of towing being done? (Gross trailer weights, hill-climbing or flat topographies, etc.)

Any further info appreciated.

TIA - Bob
Old 10-06-03, 10:28 PM
ozlx470
Rookie

I've towed with both 2000 model and the 2003 model LX470 near to the maximum tow weight (3500kgs) throught sand, mud, trails and highways in Winter and Summer (-4C to +43C)

Never any problem, apart from sometimes forgetting that the trailer was there.
Old 10-07-03, 09:24 AM
tabraha
Driver

Originally posted by Bobhgd
tabraha, you say you have a tranny cooler - did you add a cooler yourself, then? What kind, etc.?

The LX470 already has a OE transmission oil cooler, so I'm wondering if it will suffice as-is, or if an aftermarket oil cooler is really necessary.

The OE cooler looks quite substantial.

Also, what sort of towing being done? (Gross trailer weights, hill-climbing or flat topographies, etc.)

Any further info appreciated.

TIA - Bob
Bob, that was the OE tranny cooler I was referring to in my post. I didn't realize they were standard equipment! If you've got that I definitely wouldn't worry about it; like you said it is quite substantial. I've hauled a lot of stuff with the 4.7L engine in my Tundra and it pulls great. I have pulled my sportscar on a trailer behind it several times and if not for the mirrors I wouldn't know it was back there (3500lbs total). This was with some hills but nothing really mountainous. I know several people that are pulling 5000lbs in their Tundra work vehicles on a routine basis (same engine and transmission) without problems. Their only complaint is getting about 8-10mpg when pulling 5000-6000lbs at 70mph! Braking has always been adequate for me but of course I drive a good bit more cautious anyways when there is alot of weight back there, whether I feel it or not.
Click here for more experiences w/ Iforce V8 and your tranny.

Tad
Old 10-07-03, 07:52 PM
speedracer
Driver School Candidate

I tow a 26 foot boat every weekend without a problem. The boat and trailer combo with all accessories and gas weigh approx. 6000 lbs. The LX pulls the boat out of the water and up the ramp easily. The low end torque is right where you need it. Braking is no problem but then again my trailer has dual axle surge brakes. I have a factory installed hitch and have encountered no problems.
Old 10-09-03, 09:59 AM
UZJ100
Driver School Candidate

I tow a 4900lbs Crownline 266BR with no issues exept when going uphill on the highway where the engine has to run at WOT to stay at descent speed. The boat's weight does not overwhelm the LX and the self leveling suspension provides a more stable ride than our 99 Land Cruiser ever did.
Old 10-12-03, 01:34 PM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks for the responses.

Just got back from towing a light (1200lb curb weight) trailer.

I have to agree with the comments about the superb suspension effect on towing. Very well-controlled ride and handling, and braking is very good too. And as noted, the height/level control keeps the hitch height onstant, another plus.

And the full time 4WD is very nice to have when pulling a trailer in mud & gravel. No worries - just go where you want to.

Any further comments welcome.
Old 04-16-04, 09:49 AM
Grd4Spd
Driver School Candidate

just reviewing some of yalls experiences and responses......do you think i will have any issues/problems in this endevor?

heres the thread....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=117093

thanks!!

terry
Old 04-16-04, 09:01 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I actually towed my LS400 loaded with subwoofers and TV's (a complete system) down to L.A. and that weighed about 4,250Lbs, and the trailers weighed 1,500Lbs for a total of 5,750 LBS (far over the 5K pound Max) without ANY problems what-so-ever. Actually, I got it going 80 over the GrapeVine which other drivers found impressive .

Many people don't realize it, but the LX is a pretty nice towing machine!

-Jason
Old 04-17-04, 02:17 AM
Grd4Spd
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply!

i posted the same question to another lexus forum and a member cited the following from the manual...

"The maximum gross trailer weight (trailer weight plus
cargo weight) must never exceed 2948 kg (6500 lb.).
If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 907 kg
(2000 lb.), it is necessary to use a sway control device
with sufficient capacity. The combination of the
gross trailer weight added to the total weight of the
vehicle, occupants and vehicle cargo must never
exceed a total of 5625 kg (12400 lb.). Exceeding the
maximum weight of the trailer, the vehicle, or the
vehicle and trailer combination, can cause an
accident resulting in serious personal injuries"

now seeing that i will be towing a car/trailer with a combined weight of 4000-5000Klbs

1) do need the "sway control device"?

2) does the OEM tow package come with this device?

3) what does it look like? this?

http://www.etrailerpart.com/MyWebs/m...00_1800932.htm

thanks!!

terry
Old 04-17-04, 03:10 AM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

I think a sway control device is probably a good idea for ANY tow vehicle with curb weight around 5500 lb (like the LX) that is towing a heavier load approaching or even exceeding the weight of the tow vehicle itself.

It's a case of the tail wagging the dog, when your towed load is as heavy as the towing vehicle.

The anti-sway device is actually a contraption that mounts on the trailer tongue etc. It does not mount on the towing vehicle hitch, per se, but rather, makes a couple of connections to the hitch.

Have fun!

(PS - I second the voice that the LX is a good tow vehicle, for medium-duty towing. The full-time 4WD and auto-leveling features are really nice touches when hauling a trailer.

Last edited by Bobhgd; 04-17-04 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 03:24 AM
Grd4Spd
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply bobhgd

thats what i thought.....that the sway control contraption mounts to the TRAILER and not the car, correct? so if im renting a uhaul/budget flatbed trailer to tow the car should i ask them about the control hardware?

regards,
terry
Old 04-18-04, 04:33 PM
polardaddy
Driver School Candidate

Default Towing

I pull a four place snowmobile trailer and sleds, a 30 foot camper and 30 foot cruiser wilth my LX 470 and have not had any problems other then when the wind is severe, my camper pulls hard. I always use load levelers and sway bar, I would not tow without them!
Old 05-05-04, 01:58 AM
Grd4Spd
Driver School Candidate

well after 1200miles of towing a 3000lb car on a 1500lb autotransport, with the tow car AND the LX loaded down with stuff i must say that towing with the LX470 was effortless and awesome!!

i towed from San Diego, CA to Sun Valley, ID in 100+ degree weather, up long grades, and steep downhills, freeways, and two lane roads without a "hitch", ha! actually i ended up passing many other vehicles in tow as well....in fact i got a ticket for doing 80mph while towing!! (speed crept up on me as its soooooo easy and quiet to tow in the LX)

thanks for all the feedback and thank you Lexus/Toyota for creating such a fine piece of machinery!!

regards,
terry

Quick Reply: Towing Experiences with LX470?