LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Hello folks, I'm back to Lexus V8 world and couldn't be happier! About 8:00 or 9 mont

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 05:15 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hello folks, I'm back to Lexus V8 world and couldn't be happier! About 8:00 or 9 mont

Hello everybody, I'm once again back into a Lexus! They just never get out of your skin in my opinion especially because I've only ever owned V8 models. I picked up a 2000 lx470 about 8 or 9 months ago with 120,000 mi on it but nobody in the world will even come close to guessing what I paid for it. I love the truck and even more I love the deal that I got. So I will be posting a bunch of questions that have been piling up in my head about my car and I hope you guys are as kind to me today as you were when last I was here and owned an LS430 and a gx470.

My very first question today would be what is the least expensive way I can get a second key made for my truck? I only have one key as it is and that scares me alone and the lock button doesn't work on the key either I have to manually lock it, which of course is not a big deal just a press of a button. But regardless, I should have at least two keys for my car. Can you please guide me in a direction with somebody that maybe I could give them my VIN number and they could cut me a new OEM key without taking me to the cleaners? Thanks in advance and please be ready for many more questions!

Last edited by Muti007; 07-26-22 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Forgot picture
Old 07-26-22, 09:08 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
Hello everybody, I'm once again back into a Lexus! They just never get out of your skin in my opinion especially because I've only ever owned V8 models. I picked up a 2000 lx470 about 8 or 9 months ago with 120,000 mi on it but nobody in the world will even come close to guessing what I paid for it. I love the truck and even more I love the deal that I got. So I will be posting a bunch of questions that have been piling up in my head about my car and I hope you guys are as kind to me today as you were when last I was here and owned an LS430 and a gx470.

My very first question today would be what is the least expensive way I can get a second key made for my truck? I only have one key as it is and that scares me alone and the lock button doesn't work on the key either I have to manually lock it, which of course is not a big deal just a press of a button. But regardless, I should have at least two keys for my car. Can you please guide me in a direction with somebody that maybe I could give them my VIN number and they could cut me a new OEM key without taking me to the cleaners? Thanks in advance and please be ready for many more questions!
I used key man on the web. He'll need a copy of your registration with the VIN and a copy of your driver's license...VIN by itself obviously won't work as you need to prove you're the owner. A Lexus dealer would be another source.

Old 07-26-22, 02:25 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
I used key man on the web. He'll need a copy of your registration with the VIN and a copy of your driver's license...VIN by itself obviously won't work as you need to prove you're the owner. A Lexus dealer would be another source.
Of course I could go to the dealer but I'm trying to save money not just throw it out the window. So I'm looking for another valid and respected source among our community that I can be sent to to get a new OEM key made up. You mentioned someone called the key man. Is this an individual online? Is this a small company that somehow sells OEM keys? Or is it a generic term for something else? Surely I could always go to the dealership but I'm not about to take a 22-year-old car to a dealership even for floor mats. The key is I have to be able to maintain and run this car as inexpensively as I did my last two Lexuses.

EDIT: I just realized that I said in this post I wouldn't take my 22-year-old car to the dealer even for floor mats. The funny thing is in actuality I went 100 steps further than that and had custom wool Berber Lloyd's floor mats made for my car in the exact color I wanted with Muti007 engraved into them. And I still haven't finished paying them off, lol. They were a ridiculous extravagance but I always put in brand new OEM floor mats in every used car I buy because I just find having somebody else's floor mats in my car fields icky. But this time I really did go way too far, lol. Another reason why I've been spending money on this car more than most people might is because due to being permanently disabled it's possible this might be the last car I own. I have owned over 90 cars, suvs, and motorcycles but my body ain't doing too well these days so this may very well be my last car and I have been treating it as such. It's also one of my last bucket list cars and even though it's 22 years old it's only got 120,000 mi on it and it's not going up much as because of my health I generally don't even put a hundred miles a month on it. In this crazy car market today the car is worth a fortune compared to what I paid for it. I want to bring it back to new as much as possible with some upgrades and modifications along the way to make it truly mine.

Every car I've ever bought in my life came with a list I drew up of everything I would want to bring back to stock and everything I would like to improve upon. Most of the time once I finish that list, as extensive or as short as it may have been for that particular car, I end up selling them because once they reach the exact point I want them to it's like I'm just ready for the next project. My list for my lx470 is rather lengthy and being disabled I'm rather poor so I don't imagine I'll ever finish the entire list but I will go down swinging as I try to complete yet another project car. Not that it's a project car in the traditional sense of the word, right now it's a perfect turnkey family or off-road hauler. But it still needs a whole lot of stuff improved upon just for my personal enjoyment of it. I'm sure other gear heads know what I'm talking about. By the time I finish the list, it will be hopefully and outstanding resto mod as almost all my cars do. I like them to look as clean and stock as possible but with major improvements that only someone that knows my car well would notice had been done to it.

Last edited by Muti007; 07-27-22 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-27-22, 09:20 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts
Red face Sorry for the info...

I don't have the key source on line...I'll be back in my shop Sunday or Monday next week and his business card is pinned on a bulletin board there...I'll update this post soonest.
Old 07-27-22, 09:34 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
I don't have the key source on line...I'll be back in my shop Sunday or Monday next week and his business card is pinned on a bulletin board there...I'll update this post soonest.
Thanks Ace!