LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

What are these two hoses on '00 LX470?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 09:10 AM
skylinec83
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these two hoses on '00 LX470?

Hi everyone - first post so thanks in advance for your patience.

TL: DR - What are these two hoses between the engine and firewall that are disconnected (pictures attached)

circled in blue

Located near tranny dipstick between engine and firewall

I recently joined the LX470 family by purchasing a 2000 w/ 270k miles. This has been a vehicle that I've been eyeing for a long time and tried to take advantage of the relatively high gas prices and purchasing this baby when demand is relatively lower.

That being said, this thing did not come with great maintenance records and the previous owner said he'd done a lot of the work himself - some good work, but also some questionable.

I had an overheating issue last week and determined it was a cracked radiator (previous own tried to patch it at some point from the looks of it). While I was topping off lost tranny fluid resulting from the radiator swap, I noticed two hoses that were just open to atmosphere. I'm kicking myself for not noticing this when I was initially inspecting the car for purchase.

The car seems to drive fine and I don't see any trouble codes when scanning with a 'regular' scan tool. The hose lines that run adjacent to the two open hoses look like there's an adapter piece positioned right there were there may potentially have been a "T" connection? I'm really not sure what these lines are so I'm hoping to leverage this community's knowledge and experience.

As a sidenote: I do have a higher level scan tool that can scan other modules outside of the ECM. I did get a few trouble codes on the ABS/VSC/TRAC module and AHC module after reinstalling the battery (from radiator replacement). I'll list them below but not sure if these are related.

ABS/VSC/TRAC trouble codes:
C1223 - Malfunction of Antilock Brake System (ABS) Control System
C1231 - Steering Angle Sensor
C1241 - Low Battery Positive Voltage or Abnormally High Battery Positive Voltage

AHC trouble code:
C1762 - Abnormal Oil Pressure for Pump

I went ahead and cleared these codes to see if they'd come back but just adding this tidbit of info in case it may be related to these mystery open hoses.
Old 08-11-22, 04:22 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Question It looks to me as if...

...previous owner disconnected the two lines that normally go to the rear heater. Instead of the T's that should be there, PO replaced them with in-line fittings. IMO he's both half azz as well as a butcher. You might think about taking to a local indy shop to address the other issues you've found.

Does your rear heater hold coolant and actually function?

Last edited by hankinid; 08-16-22 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-16-22, 07:48 AM
skylinec83
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
...previous owner disconnected the two lines that normally go to the rear heater. Instead of the T's that should be there, PO replaced them with in-line fittings. IMO he's both half jazz as well as a butcher. You might think about taking to a local indy shop to address the other issues you've found.

Does your rear heater hold coolant and actually function?
I'm not sure if the rear heater holds coolant but it does not function currently. The air flows but it's just ambient temperature air that comes out.

I'll order some T-connectors and see if I can get it reconnected and keep my fingers crossed once I try it again.