LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2018 Very Low Mileage Great Condition.....But Need your help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 11:18 PM
LexLx2018
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 Very Low Mileage Great Condition.....But Need your help

Hello everyone, I recently joined the Lx 570 family by purchasing a 2018 with only 4,600 miles. No i'm not missing a zero, it really is 4,600 miles...it still smells brand new. They had never used the rear entertainment system because the original batteries were still shrink wrapped. Incredible. The story behind the car is it was owned by a family that lived abroad and would come to the US for vacation sporadically, they had several cars so once in a blue moon they would drive the LX. The LX was officially the wife's car but the couple decided to get divorced.....so no need for the LX anymore.

So why do I need your help........yes the car is in great condition BUT having a 5 year old car parked for so long causes some issues:

1. Tires developed flat spots....no surprise there. I love the look of the OEM so plan to get those.

2. I noticed the car was stuttering / jiddering when I accelerated. Between the tires having flat spots and this it was not a pleasant drive. I took it to Lexus dealer they said they couldn't replicate it and hard for them to identify the issue since the car was not throwing any error codes. I was frustrated with the dealership because it was pretty obvious to me. I did some research and used this product recommended by Scotty Kilmer to clean the fuel injectors. Pretty obvious the gas in the tank was left there for long periods at a time so made sense something was dirty. Poured it in the tank and after driving the full tank it did a great job cleaning the injectors....no more stuttering at all. Problem solved...... well kind of.

3. Now I feel the car is
  • Idling pretty high around 800 rpm.
  • If I take my foot off the brake at a light.....I notice the car starts to take off faster than what I would have expected
  • When I'm braking I notice the car is almost trying to resist the braking.
  • I'm wondering if I'm getting even worse mpg than what it should be.

My questions for all of you are:
  • At what rpm's does your car idle when parked or in neutral?
  • How many miles do you get from a full tank of gas? I'm not including the "reserve tank". Just the mileage range you are given by the car. If you can answer
    • City: 240 miles
    • Highway: 290 miles
    • Or a Combination of City / Highway: 270 miles
  • Any suggestions of what service I should have done on the car?
  • I remember the cars that I had a long time ago it was easy to adjust the rpm.....by turning something...pretty sure it was mechanical. To adjust RPM on this car.......do we need one of those computers service technicians use?
I plan on having it serviced by a different Lexus dealership but before I go I want to better informed and have a baseline to compare it to, thus my post.

Appreciate the help.

Old 04-07-23, 06:30 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

i would run some lucas top end cleaner in the gas tank, and try to get some of the crud/varnish that built up from sitting out of the engine.
And for gods sake, change the oil often. i am aiming for 5 or 6 K changes full synthetic.
Old 04-07-23, 08:58 AM
LexLx2018
7th Gear

Originally Posted by biff44
i would run some lucas top end cleaner in the gas tank, and try to get some of the crud/varnish that built up from sitting out of the engine.
And for gods sake, change the oil often. i am aiming for 5 or 6 K changes full synthetic.
appreciate the advice. I did change the oil as soon as I purchased the car, and plan to do so at recommended intervals.

Old 04-07-23, 10:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

You did the right thing changing the oil, another thing you might consider is bleeding the brakes unless the fluid still looks new.

I don’t see a need to replace the tires unless there is dry rot. The tires should be fine and perform better with time.

As for the “high idle” give it another tank or two of gas. The computer will make adjustments as it gets used to the new driving style you bring to the seat.

I have been shopping for a nice 2018-2021 for the past two years thinking that prices will drop…in the last two months I noticed a rise in prices, darn!
there is a really nice 2019, fully equipped like yours with 12k miles…they are asking $82k.
would you mind sharing your purchase price? If not, I understand.
Old 04-07-23, 11:09 AM
LexLx2018
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bgw70
You did the right thing changing the oil, another thing you might consider is bleeding the brakes unless the fluid still looks new.

I don’t see a need to replace the tires unless there is dry rot. The tires should be fine and perform better with time.

As for the “high idle” give it another tank or two of gas. The computer will make adjustments as it gets used to the new driving style you bring to the seat.

I have been shopping for a nice 2018-2021 for the past two years thinking that prices will drop…in the last two months I noticed a rise in prices, darn!
there is a really nice 2019, fully equipped like yours with 12k miles…they are asking $82k.
would you mind sharing your purchase price? If not, I understand.
Appreciate the suggestion on bleeding the brakes, had not thought about that.

Regarding the tires....I've put 1400 miles since I purchased it back in early Feb, I was hoping they would regain it's shape...but no luck so far. I do feel that if I drive it for a while it get's slightly better but they go back to being just as bumpy the next day. It's annoying.

I'm on my second tank since I put in the injector cleaner....so yeah I 'll wait a bit more.

The price......I paid $66,200. They went to a few dealers to see how much they would get for the car, and that is what they were offered. They showed me the offer, so they sold it to me for that amount instead of selling it to a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
2013lx570 (04-13-23)
Old 04-07-23, 11:36 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexLx2018
Appreciate the suggestion on bleeding the brakes, had not thought about that.

Regarding the tires....I've put 1400 miles since I purchased it back in early Feb, I was hoping they would regain it's shape...but no luck so far. I do feel that if I drive it for a while it get's slightly better but they go back to being just as bumpy the next day. It's annoying.

I'm on my second tank since I put in the injector cleaner....so yeah I 'll wait a bit more.

The price......I paid $66,200. They went to a few dealers to see how much they would get for the car, and that is what they were offered. They showed me the offer, so they sold it to me for that amount instead of selling it to a dealer.
How about inflating your tires over the Lexus recommendation but 10psi below the tire sidewall max inflation pressure…drive it 100 miles to see if there is any difference. it’s worth a try before you hand over $$$$.

You certainly made a fantastic deal…all I can say is WOW and Congratulations…I am VERY happy for you!!!
Such as life, it’s who ya know and being in the right place at the right time.
Old 04-07-23, 12:10 PM
LexLx2018
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bgw70
How about inflating your tires over the Lexus recommendation but 10psi below the tire sidewall max inflation pressure…drive it 100 miles to see if there is any difference. it’s worth a try before you hand over $$$$.

You certainly made a fantastic deal…all I can say is WOW and Congratulations…I am VERY happy for you!!!
Such as life, it’s who ya know and being in the right place at the right time.
Your comment about who you know and being at the right place at the right time is spot on. Here is a bit more about how I was able to buy the car. My father works as a valet driver parking cars at a very high end residential building. Let's just say some of the residents can be found in Forbes. Turns out my father interacts often with the "Right Hand Person" of this family, precisely who was tasked with selling the car. When the topic came up, my father mentioned I might be interested......and the rest is history.

Thanks for kind words !
Bgw70 (04-07-23)
Old 04-11-23, 06:27 PM
Pathfnder
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a pretty big difference in the throttle/ engine responsiveness between eco and sport/÷. I don't like driving around town in sport or plus.

Gas mileage around town is 10-12mpg....so get used to visiting your favorite station frequently.

I use top tier reg gas in my 2021 and have no issues, I think u just need to run a few tanks worth of fuel through it with some tech Ron or whatever lexus recommends.

I would have the 20,40;50k mile service done on the truck.

Last edited by Pathfnder; 04-11-23 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 05:34 AM
LexLx2018
7th Gear

Good suggestion on Top Tier gas, didn't know that existed. I thought as long as it's premium it was good. Probably is good...just not to the same standard as Top Tier. Thank you.

2013lx570 (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 05:39 AM
rfam
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your comment that "the vehicle is almost trying to resist the braking" is a condition that I experience too. Mine is 2021 and have taken it to the dealership with the complaint. They say that Lexus is aware of the issue but no fix at this time. It is a bit alarming trying to stop with moderate braking. I feel it mostly around 32 mph-almost like there is a surge or lurch forward as the tranny is downshifting. Let me know if you find a solution. Thanks.
2013lx570 (04-13-23)
Old 04-14-23, 03:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Precisely why LX dropping tried and true and plenty potent V8 was a stupid move.

OP, literally just run a few tanks of premium (you don't need it regularly) and gun it a bunch and it will be fine. That 5.7 would drink rotgut whiskey and still run probably. Don't even worry about putting additives in the tank. It'll sort itself out and be fine, your engine. Sounds to me she had some bad gas and just needs a good run in with a tank or two of fresh fuel.

Would I recommend this if it were a new LX with the high stressed 3.4tt? Not so sure with that engine.
Vlad6525 (04-15-23)
Old 01-02-24, 04:44 AM
bryanware
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Purchased fully loaded 2018 LX 570 with 3860 miles. Everything looks and smells new inside.
Felt engine was jerky, tires may have flat spots, oil?
1) Changed oil
2) Drove 940 miles on highway within 2 days of purchase as I purchased out of state. First 220 miles ran with old gas and felt I am driving 2 pcs of equipment (engine/with frame and body latched on), first filling gave 16mpg and second filling 18 mpg on highway and engine operated near normal. No additives added to the tank. I will now switch to regular gas after 2 more fillings as this is basically a tundra V8 engine.
3) Tires pretty much back to normal. Don't see a need change the tires.
Appreciate any suggestions from fellow owners. Should I add cleaning agent?
Old 01-02-24, 06:02 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bryanware
Purchased fully loaded 2018 LX 570 with 3860 miles. Everything looks and smells new inside.
1) Changed oil
2) Drove 940 miles on highway within 2 days of purchase as I purchased out of state. First 220 miles ran with old gas and felt I am driving 2 pcs of equipment (engine/with frame and body latched on), first filling gave 16mpg and second filling 18 mpg on highway and engine operated near normal. No additives added to the tank. I will now switch to regular gas after 2 more fillings as this is basically a tundra V8 engine.
i have alternated regular and premium fuel and see no difference in fuel mileage…mine is about the same your fuel mileage.
Old 01-02-24, 07:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

This is a huge debate (I personally don't get why), but you don't need premium fuel in an LX570, it's the exact same engine as in the Toyotas where it asked for regular. 87 is fine. Been running it for 3 years since I got the truck.
Old 01-02-24, 08:04 AM
Pathfnder
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanware
1) Changed oil
can't hurt it, i would run it 2x, little on the heavy side with some techron or similiar.

Quick Reply: 2018 Very Low Mileage Great Condition.....But Need your help