Concerns for LX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 07:22 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Concerns for LX?

Hi, I just watched the "Car care nut" video about LX / LC

He does show an older one with oil leaks of timing belt cover and cam tower.
It was even at 200k miles yet, how common is that? For example on the GX V8 engine, no one really thinks about oil leaks at those miles, nor do they leak.

The windshield leak is really that big of an issue? Here in CA any metro area, windshield crack and replacement is very possible.

Also I would like to ask, I see some LX that has around 75k on them. If the 60k AHC fluid has not been done. Should I stay away?
Could I negotiate the dealer to do the fluid change as part of the sale terms? The L Certified list only put check mark on suspension fluid level.

It seems like you just open bleeder when raising the vehicle, keep it top off. It does not seem super difficult, same idea as bleeding brakes correct.

Re: rust, we don't have those concerns.

Lastly, is the 2 row or 3 row better? The trunk seems really spacious without 3 row. From my research, there seemed to be $5K sticker difference on the 3 row when new, but dealers don't seem to reflect this difference when pricing their preowned vehicle.

Old 09-14-23, 08:54 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I really like his videos. I am surprised that he said that about timing belts. I thought all the LX 3rd generation models had timing chains.

I would prefer a windshield with a star or small crack over the risk of a replacement one leaking onto all the electronics under the dashboard. That’s why I have kept my original windshield with a star. Maybe if it were right in front of the driver I’d think differently, but mine is on the passenger side.

I have not used my third row in the ten years I have owned my present LX. On my previous one I just removed the third row seats and stored them in a closet until trade-in time. Do you have rug rats to tote around?

Last edited by Reggie1; 09-14-23 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-14-23, 09:21 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

He does make spec mistakes, the newer transmissions are 8 speed and he said it went from 5 to 6, might have been a 6 in some years.

Stars can be repaired DIY or a shop for $30. Not just a cosmetic thing, stop it to spread into a crack. But I have never heard of such a car that you cannot replace windshield or can be so risky.

I just have 2 kids. But I thought I would put older kit in the 3rd row so my wife can sit in the back on trips. But it's not a real requirement. I also needed a lot of trunk space for trips.
Old 09-15-23, 06:46 AM
fireskigir
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoy the Car Care Nut's videos. I watched that vdeo you reference, too. I had to replace the windshield on mine after a truck on I-80 near Sacramento kicked up a huge rock into my windshield. It was a large hit and a large crack ensued. I have not had any trouble with a leaking windshield into the under-dash electronics. His video was the first that discussed such a thing.

I have matching cars: a 2019 Land Cruiser with 3rd row and a 2019 LX without a 3rd row. I definitely prefer not having a third row. The room available is vast in comparison.

The AHC is a first for me as an LC owner. Mine only has 35k miles, but I will definitely be chaning the AHC fluid at 60k. Does an additional 15k miles make a difference? I don't know. If it drives fine and doesn't show leaking globes then I would buy it. Perhaps have a independent mechanic look at it before you buy it.
Old 09-15-23, 07:18 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Hi. @fireskigirThanks for chiming in, I'm also interested in a 2019 2 row, which I think would be similar equipped to yours, but they don't come with HUD or ML audio. Which I guess is more of a base trim than a loaded one.

I am not sure if i would be happy or not, I don't listen to music these days, as they seem to be asking the same as a used, loaded 3 row one.

It also don't have luxury package, which I don't know in 2019 what it means.
In the prior years (2017) luxury package would be semi anilline leather, heated ventilated front seats, second row heated seats for $1190.

So does that mean a 2019 without lux package won't have ventilated seats? Which I would not believe, it should be standard.

Also, do you like the LC or the LX better? I am definitely cross shopping them two. But the LC usually have 2-3 owners what the... I actually like the toyota "nav" better, it's more what I used to than the lexus Infotainment with the weird mouse.

Last edited by SC3coupe; 09-15-23 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-15-23, 10:23 AM
fireskigir
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My LX has heated and cooled front and rear seats. But no ML stereo nor HUD. We are happy with it. That said, I prefer the LC. My husband prefers the LX. The difference is in the suspension. I prefer the KDSS of the LC better than the hydraulic suspension of the LX. The LX is a great long drive touring car. Comfy. The LC is just a beautiful beast. Still a very very nice ride but more "alive" in steering. Personal preference. I definitely like the LC nav touch screen better. The mouse in the LX is just weird and a big mistake but we have gotten used to it.

The LX is, as you know, as dressed-up LC. But LC's are more valuable. They are a bit more rare. On average, only 3000 LCs were imported each year. On average, only 4000 LX's were imported each year. Land Cruisers are more difficult to find and are the "true" Land Cruiser. The LX is exactly the same mechanically (except for the suspension) but more fancy. It seems that true LC fans don't want the "bougie" LX. I agree except i could not find a good LC at the time that didn't have a lot of miles or multiple owners. Plus I would check the CarFax and sometimes the maintenance was not up to standard.
The following 2 users liked this post by fireskigir:
peteronyc (09-19-23), SC3coupe (09-15-23)
Old 09-19-23, 07:20 AM
peteronyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car care nut, LX, and sunroof issue(s)

Hi all,
I watched the CCnut video on LX/LC as well - good one. Also a little surprised at the oil under the LX though I suppose it was getting up there in age.

I'm looking now at a '21 LX570 and called my local Toyota dealer service rep who has serviced my '01GS, '10LS, and '13GX before and does a fair amount of LX work. Asked him about LX service issues he's seen and generally he had a few comments. Of course first he said it's generally quite reliable but if something DOES go wrong, it's often not a few hundred bucks...usually a few thousand. He also said that he's seen a few people not use/open their sunroofs enough to the point where they fail to work (for some unspecified reason). Then they don't weep/drain right which causes an interior. I actually had this issue in my GX though the repair wasn't that big a deal in the GX. He said on the LXes he's dealing with this was around $3k to address.

Doesn't deter me - hopefully I'll have my 570 by next week.

Thx to all for the great info here!
Old 09-19-23, 08:05 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

I went through some of his other videos, on sequoia V8, he said the later years of that engine he has not seen a cam tower leak and was improved.
For a 2021 you probably don't need to worry for a long time.

The other thing I didn't know is if the wheel / tire is prone to vibration like GX, those 6 lug wheels are notoriously hard to balance because of their large hub. Places like Costco certainly can't get it right.

The LX I'm buying does have a slight wheel vibration too but their tires is already worn.

Old 09-20-23, 08:00 PM
JJB702
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LX and LC have 5 lug nut wheels, no problem for me at all with a ‘21 LX.