LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

HUD Cleaning - Dash Disassembly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-23, 03:57 PM
RavenRemix
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HUD Cleaning - Dash Disassembly?

I have a silly question about the HUD. I have a massive amount of lint, dust, and it seems like dog hair on the reflector mirror part under the dash.

I asked the dealer about it as the car is still under certified warranty but they claimed it was a 6+ hour job.

I can’t imagine that’s true. The advisor has really helped me out in the past with big repairs but I really wonder if I just removed the instrument cluster there would be some way to reach back there and either blow it out or clean it with a lint free cloth.

The problem seems to be getting worse, it’s getting to where I can see the specks on the display with certain numbers or when using the radar cruise on those blue bars that show up. I don’t put a dog in the car, and I vacuum it weekly. I swear I’m a clean person!

I have tried using my car blower dryer blow around the area, hoping to somehow send the particles elsewhere, but they didn’t move.

I was looking at other models during that visit on the lot and it seems with them you can pull the lens out from above the dash.

Anyone else have or better yet solve this issue?
Old 09-23-23, 05:58 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just curious, how do you know the lint and hair is inside the protector lens instead of outside.
Old 09-23-23, 07:30 PM
RavenRemix
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

No idea. I'm the third owner, the car has been certified twice. My guess is that the chamber is not hermetically sealed, and if you live in a dusty environment this will happen. I'm assuming the previous owners did not care much for the interior, I was cleaning up coffee stains on the headliner and the wood was faded from it sitting in the sun. I did pay the $800 to replace that dash trim.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone was annoyed by this too on the forum, and perhaps there's some secret door behind the instrument cluster where I can get in here. Removing the top of the dash looks like it would work too, but that's probably the 6+ hour job the dealer quoted, and they consider this cosmetic and not functional.

Upon returning home from making this post on a cell phone I figured it would make more sense to post a pic.

I will report back if I ever have reason to remove the instrument cluster if there's a way to get to this from that side. I currently have no reason to because unlike the other used cars I bought, the plastic dash 'glass' is in immaculate shape!

I tried to take this picture under a harsh flashlight, you can see the dog or other animal hair where the emitter is, and the white flecks are all on the mirror.

Old 09-23-23, 08:23 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have took out the cluster on the GX470 before, that was not difficult, but it's an older car. I had the dealer replaced that cluster plastic because it looked it got brillo padded. But removal the cluster you will not need to touch the clear plastic at all.

Maybe you can undo the cluster but not unplug it (the hardest part usually) and see it reaches the HUD area.

Good luck I'll be following.

Last edited by SC3coupe; 09-23-23 at 08:37 PM.