LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Request - Perspectives on Road Noise/NVH

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 12:57 PM
LMF904
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Request - Perspectives on Road Noise/NVH

Hi all - New member but active reader of these forums, which have been an exceptional resource as I am in the market for my first LX or GX.

Our primary draw to the LX over other large SUVs is the level of road/wind noise, as my partner has severe migraines that are triggered by car trips. We are in NJ, the roads are terrible. I've read everything I can find on ClubLexus, ih8mud, Reddit, on this topic; I'm aware of the LX's reputation for being a quiet vehicle but would greatly, greatly appreciate hearing from those who live with the LX regularly.

How does the LX compare to other vehicles you've had (and which vehicles are those)? What tires? Are there any vehicles you've ridden in that have been substantially more quiet than the LX? Any details you are able or willing to share.

Thank you!
Old 11-28-23, 04:30 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

if you do not put all terain tires on it, the LX is very quiet.
also it is stable like a rock. We tried a bmw X7, and it had a weird slow roll that made my wife seasick. i guess they deliberately soften the suspension to the point that it wallows with every turn or lane change. there was no way to stiffen it, even with their so called "Sport Suspension" active.
the LX does none of that b.s.
The following users liked this post:
LMF904 (11-28-23)
Old 11-28-23, 05:04 PM
LMF904
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biff44
if you do not put all terain tires on it, the LX is very quiet.
also it is stable like a rock. We tried a bmw X7, and it had a weird slow roll that made my wife seasick. i guess they deliberately soften the suspension to the point that it wallows with every turn or lane change. there was no way to stiffen it, even with their so called "Sport Suspension" active.
the LX does none of that b.s.
Thank you for your comparison, especially to the X7. C&D called the X7 out in particular as 'quieter than an S-class' so it was on my shortlist to test drive; glad to hear the LX is in a similar bracket of noise isolation.

BMW has made some perplexing suspension choices in recent years; my friend's X3 M40 rides as stiff as an M4 Comp, which is a vehicle I've driven extensively. Wayyyy over-damped for what an X3 should be.
Old 11-28-23, 08:12 PM
JJB702
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LX is the most quiet SUV I have ever owned, my past vehicles being Escalades, Range Rovers and Sequoias. A non turbo V8 keeps the noise down at cruising speeds, I found the RR with a turbo V8 has more engine noise compared to the LX. The feeling is like you are in a big bubble, with stock tires the LX commands the road, even driving in windy conditions at high speed. Test drive one and see for yourself, I think you will be happy with the 2008-2021 version.
Bgw70 (11-28-23)
Old 11-29-23, 01:28 AM
biff44
Instructor

Originally Posted by LMF904
Thank you for your comparison, especially to the X7. C&D called the X7 out in particular as 'quieter than an S-class' so it was on my shortlist to test drive; glad to hear the LX is in a similar bracket of noise isolation.

BMW has made some perplexing suspension choices in recent years; my friend's X3 M40 rides as stiff as an M4 Comp, which is a vehicle I've driven extensively. Wayyyy over-damped for what an X3 should be.
test drive it if you want. This was 3 years ago, there is a SLIM chance they fixed it. would have needed a beefier sway bar, or the electronic equivalent. It makes NO SENSE to me if you have an electronics controlled suspension system, WHY are there no user allowed modifiactions to it, like choose stiffer ride and less floatiness

but do a LONG road test. get on a highway for a good long time, and abruptly change lanes, and see what happens! Bring others along--see if they get seasick too. this was the key, as we bought the LX570 for road trips...getting car sick five days out would be a disaster!

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1963090

there is a DHP optional package you HAVE TO get to even consider a bmw, and that only helps "a little"

Last edited by biff44; 11-29-23 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-29-23, 05:45 AM
mfeferman
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB702
The LX is the most quiet SUV I have ever owned, my past vehicles being Escalades, Range Rovers and Sequoias. A non turbo V8 keeps the noise down at cruising speeds, I found the RR with a turbo V8 has more engine noise compared to the LX. The feeling is like you are in a big bubble, with stock tires the LX commands the road, even driving in windy conditions at high speed. Test drive one and see for yourself, I think you will be happy with the 2008-2021 version.
No RR are turbo charged. They’re supercharged with the most recent using the same exact engine and supercharger out of the ford mustang gt350. Amazing truck, but no reliability like the LX. I do love my LX.
Old 11-29-23, 10:04 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

LX is quiet but IMO front seats only as the windshield and both front driver and pass windows r double pane...while the rear seat (and the trunk area) r single pane and I feel 'noiser' than the front.... But it is NOT to the level of quietness from the MB S-Class at all - this is very very quiet. I've also driven in an Audi Q5 MY20 / Lincoln Navigator MY21 / Infiniti QX80 (both MY 17 and 21)....the LX is more quiet than these. ANd of course like the OP said, tires also make huge difference. Try test drive / compare the LX and the GLS...but if u worry about reliability / longevity, then forget about the GLS.
Old 11-29-23, 10:23 AM
peasept
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all - New member but active reader of these forums, which have been an exceptional resource as I am in the market for my first LX or GX.

Our primary draw to the LX over other large SUVs is the level of road/wind noise, as my partner has severe migraines that are triggered by car trips. We are in NJ, the roads are terrible. I've read everything I can find on ClubLexus, ih8mud, Reddit, on this topic; I'm aware of the LX's reputation for being a quiet vehicle but would greatly, greatly appreciate hearing from those who live with the LX regularly.

How does the LX compare to other vehicles you've had (and which vehicles are those)? What tires? Are there any vehicles you've ridden in that have been substantially more quiet than the LX? Any details you are able or willing to share.

Thank you!
I’m on my 4th LX since 1999 (‘99, ‘04, ‘09, ‘18).

Each time I think about replacing it I feel like I should compare it to what else is out there. I’ve looked at RR, Escalades, GLS.

None of them come close especially since I’m comparing brand new models with my “old” LX that has 90-125k miles on it when I trade it.

The brand new models that I’ve test driven have more squeaks and rattles than the model I’m replacing!

I’ve never had any NVH issues, whether it be highway or city driving. They are silent and smooth.

They’re not the fastest or the most technologically up to date but they are solid, safe, reliable, and hold their values much better than the competition. If you perform scheduled maintenance they will last for 300,000 miles.

I’ve been through the trucks when they’re up on the lift and they are overbuilt! As an example the lug nuts are the beefiest I have ever seen, and I’ve never had to replace brakes before 70,000 miles! The only other part that I’ve replaced had been the drive belt in 1 of my cars and I exclusively do my maintenance at my dealer every 10,000 miles so they are heavily incented to suggest replacing parts!

After 4 trucks and, almost 400,000 miles between them, the only part that has ever broken has been a glove box hinge at 115,000 miles on my 2009. I contacted Lexus and they replaced it free of charge!

Obviously I’m a big fan!

Hope this helps.

mricci (12-03-23)
Old 11-29-23, 12:40 PM
Seppo
Driver School Candidate

I moved from a 2019 Audi Q7 Prestige with air suspension and four wheel steering, on Michelin CrossClimate2 20in tires. Compared to my 2019 LX570, the Q7 was definitely quieter, with less wind and road noise, engine noise was rarely noticeable. Ride was superb on those tires with the air suspension as well, so on most roads the Q7 was quieter and better riding.

However, the Q7 has no space for a spare tire, and while ideally suited for paved roads, it was not a truck with the capabilities in off-road and primitive unpaved roads, so I am pleased with the LX570 for my needs. Besides, my local Audi dealer changed ownership and became awful. My LX has 21inch Yokohamas, an okay tire, but I have driven other LX with 20in wheels and they have better tire options and seemed to ride better besides, but few LX came with the 20's.

I haven't tried X7 or the current generation GLS, but don't trust BMW or M-B these days, and wouldn't chance a Land Rover product especially with the nearest dealer being a hundred miles away.
Old 11-29-23, 05:58 PM
JJB702
8th Gear

Right. Mine was an Autobiography P525, a complete POS. I got rid of it after 10,000 miles and got a ‘21 LX. What it lacks in technology it more than makes up in reliability.

Last edited by JJB702; 11-29-23 at 06:02 PM.
Supra Dr (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 07:26 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Try Sport mode on the highway. Helps w/ the side to side wallowing @ high speeds. Turns off Eco mode (Delay on passing). Firms up the steering. This is our 3rd 570 & run this 90% of the time on the highway @ 70 - 95 Mph. Got a recent ticket @ 92 LOL. The coolest thing is @ somewhere around 85 Mph it does a full squat & looks like a lowrider.
Smooth, quiet & will get you there unlike the RR.
V8LXBFFE (04-27-24)
Old 11-30-23, 04:31 PM
biff44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seppo
I , but I have driven other LX with 20in wheels and they have better tire options and seemed to ride better besides, but few LX came with the 20's.
Did you mean tires for off roading?

I am tempted to get something like Falken wildpeaks for my 20" wheels. it currently has Geolander H/Ts, but they are bad in snow, and now that they are worn down a little bad on wet roads too. i have to be careful taking corners when it is raining. but the geolander H/T are great on dry highways, very litle noise

Old 11-30-23, 08:24 PM
mfeferman
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you!

This will sound ridiculous and I’ve since switched to 18” OEM LC wheels with Michelin LTX AT2, but for the first two years of ownership of my 2015 LX I had the stock 20” wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT II tires and they completely blew my mind. I don’t think they even make them anymore and they’re not supposed to be offroad tires but I took my stock LX with that stock 20” wheel and tire combo up Wearyman’s Creek, McAllister Gulch, and 90% up to Santa Fe Peak (went too late at night), all on those tires. I did a ton more stuff than that and those tires never let me down. If I were doing 20” I’d probably look for their replacement.

I didn’t mention how quiet they were!

I’m new to the LX (three years in) and love it even more than the 2015 GX it replaced.