LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Optimize 2017 LX for Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 02:35 AM
LX570MomCar
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Optimize 2017 LX for Snow

Heading from Florida into potential snowy/wintry weather in the sweet spot of the South where they may have salted the roads but they don’t have any snow plows. 99% other inexperienced drivers like myself. Saving grace, I guess, is that roads will be mostly flat. Doing everything I can to circumvent the inevitable unhelpful/troll comments so:

1. It’s unavoidable, family emergency.
  2. No access to snow tires.
  3. I’ve read the manual and looked at all 87 instances of the word “snow” and still have questions about all the buttons/modes. I’m personally frustrated by my own lack of understanding, so I’m asking for help.
  4. I generally get to go extra slow, leave more time than I think I need for braking etc. I’m asking about all these dang buttons and dials.

With that—if you have some experience in snow, how do you think about *tiering* your approach to the conditions, eg: “if any snow you should always, at a minimum, use ECT 2nd and drive with center differential locked” versus “if things get worse go to HI4” versus “if it’s defcon 5 go to crawl”.

TIA
Old 01-11-24, 04:39 AM
4Runner04
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in an area that gets over 100" of snow a year. With your LX, just slow down a bit. Give yourself extended stopping distances. Traction and handling will be diminished. If you have an all season tire, you really do not need to change any drive modes for normal snowy road driving. Just slow down and get a feel for the difference in traction, braking and handling. If you have performance summer tires, I can't say how they will handle. Currently own 2016 LX, 2015 LX and a 2022 GX. These vehicles handle snow better than any all wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicle I have ever driven, and I have owned over ten different 4x4s. Other current vehicles are Chevy 2500 4x4 and Jeep Wrangler. The only other vehicle that has come close to these Toyota/Lexus is a Subaru.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4Runner04:
Bgw70 (01-11-24), bibika027 (02-02-24), Supra Dr (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24, 05:57 AM
LX570MomCar
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 4Runner04
I live in an area that gets over 100" of snow a year. With your LX, just slow down a bit. Give yourself extended stopping distances. Traction and handling will be diminished. If you have an all season tire, you really do not need to change any drive modes for normal snowy road driving. Just slow down and get a feel for the difference in traction, braking and handling. If you have performance summer tires, I can't say how they will handle. Currently own 2016 LX, 2015 LX and a 2022 GX. These vehicles handle snow better than any all wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicle I have ever driven, and I have owned over ten different 4x4s. Other current vehicles are Chevy 2500 4x4 and Jeep Wrangler. The only other vehicle that has come close to these Toyota/Lexus is a Subaru.
this is really reassuring. Thank you so much!!
Old 01-11-24, 06:35 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Tires is the most important component of safe driving during snow. Check your tires. What brand they are? Their thread depth and check to see what type of tires you have (all-season, summer performance, all-terrain etc.). If you have good all-season / M+S tires and they have sufficient thread, you'll be fine. If you have summer performance tires (highly unlikely on LX570) - take extra precaution because those are not for winter driving.
I have experienced driving LX570 with really bad tires (original OEM garbage Dunlops) during ice storm and I was sliding all over the road with only electronics saving me from a wipeout. Fast forward a year later driving in a similar ice storm, but with brand new Michelins M+S and it rode like a tank! Snow handling isn't as treacherous as ice handling, so even if you have original Dunlops, they should get you there if you slow down and keep sufficient distance between you and other cars.
ECT 2nd will help you to get going from a stop, but once you're driving it's no longer doing anything.
No need to engage anything else unless you're stuck in a pile of snow.
And you ARE in one of the best vehicles out there for this type of driving, so definitely do not panic.
The following users liked this post:
LX570MomCar (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24, 07:38 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

For me, if I only hit snow a few times a year, it doesn't make sense to invest in snow tires economically speaking... many cars wear all seasons tires during snow and I drove through many many miles thru interstate in snow storms wearing all season tires in the middle of the night... just need to slow down, keep your eyes on all sides... watch out for the snow plowers. Beware of black ice especially if you see a bridge ahead of you - that area tends to be 'colder' / 'icyer'. If you have to pull over, try to look for a rest area and not on the side of the highway. I always have a sleeping bag, chocolate and water in my car at all times JUST in case I get stranded and stuck.
LX570MomCar (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24, 11:42 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 911 Likes on 731 Posts

Snow is not a problem as long as you take it easy and slow down.
ICE is a HUGE problem. I don’t care what you drive, if you encounter ice there is not a car or truck out there that will stop or go on a sheet of ice.
if its snowing, no problem, if its sleet, you might want to wait.

what i don’t get is where you are headed in the south, the radar is clear and the entire south is above freezing.

Good luck and report back when you arrive at your destination.

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-11-24 at 11:48 AM.
LX570MomCar (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24, 02:43 PM
bryanware
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With good tires on a Lx, you will actually enjoy driving in snow. Any sign of sleet, do not venture with any car.
The following 2 users liked this post by bryanware:
LX570MomCar (01-11-24), pkim1078 (01-12-24)
Old 01-11-24, 06:42 PM
LX570MomCar
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Vlad6525
Tires is the most important component of safe driving during snow. Check your tires. What brand they are? Their thread depth and check to see what type of tires you have (all-season, summer performance, all-terrain etc.). If you have good all-season / M+S tires and they have sufficient thread, you'll be fine. If you have summer performance tires (highly unlikely on LX570) - take extra precaution because those are not for winter driving.
I have experienced driving LX570 with really bad tires (original OEM garbage Dunlops) during ice storm and I was sliding all over the road with only electronics saving me from a wipeout. Fast forward a year later driving in a similar ice storm, but with brand new Michelins M+S and it rode like a tank! Snow handling isn't as treacherous as ice handling, so even if you have original Dunlops, they should get you there if you slow down and keep sufficient distance between you and other cars.
ECT 2nd will help you to get going from a stop, but once you're driving it's no longer doing anything.
No need to engage anything else unless you're stuck in a pile of snow.
And you ARE in one of the best vehicles out there for this type of driving, so definitely do not panic.
awesome. Thanks so much
Old 01-11-24, 06:44 PM
LX570MomCar
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Bgw70
ICE is a HUGE problem. I don’t care what you drive, if you encounter ice there is not a car or truck out there that will stop or go on a sheet of ice.
if its snowing, no problem, if its sleet, you might want to wait.

what i don’t get is where you are headed in the south, the radar is clear and the entire south is above freezing.

Good luck and report back when you arrive at your destination.

Leaving Sunday. Couple inches predicted for E Ark/ W Tenn.
Bgw70 (01-12-24)
Old 01-13-24, 12:32 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

bridgestone Blizzacs
Old 01-13-24, 12:34 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

Sure there is, you need studded snow tires.
but check to see if the states you are driving thru allow them
Old 01-13-24, 02:56 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 911 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by biff44
Sure there is, you need studded snow tires.
but check to see if the states you are driving thru allow them
valid point, i never used them.
do they work well on ice
when i lived in Nebraska, it was always fun to watch the 4x4 trucks, they could sure take off quick but everything pretty much stopped the same.