LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Purchased CPO LX570 - Now Discovering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 08:07 AM
ljefts
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased CPO LX570 - Now Discovering Issues

Hey folks - wondering how you would handle this. Purchased a '18 LX570 (CPO) from a Lexus dealer a few hours away. Clean Carfax, one owner, low mileage, just what I was looking for. Have had it two weeks. Noticed the rear door lock actuator didn't work, intermittent wipers were wonky, and the remote app wouldn't connect to the car. Brought it in to my local Lexus dealer to look at (not the one I bought from - my local Lexus that I will service the vehicle at). They just called me back, asking if it was in an accident. They said the front windshield was replaced (why the wipers were not working correctly), pulled apart the rear door and the door lock switch was unplugged (why the door lock wasn't working), and the roof antennae was broken and poorly re-caulked (why the app was not connecting). They also said there was repair damage to the rear quarter panel. So basically, they were saying there was damage to the front (replaced windshield), left rear (someone "was in" the door and why the lock was unplugged), right rear (body repair), and roof (broken antennae). Yikes! My local dealer said that they looked in the system and the selling Lexus dealer had done bodywork through their dealer bodywork partner (they see in their system), this wasn't my fault, and they will get everything fixed. But now, I'm worried that I bought a car that potentially was in a major accident (repaired by the Lexus dealer), that an accident will "hit" the carfax in a few months, and ultimately, I just paid almost 60k for a CPO vehicle that I thought/was told was clean, and which may continue to give me issues (not to mention diminished value when/if an accident hits report). What would you do?
Old 01-31-24, 08:14 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Hmmm.

Lexus CPO sold a significantly wrecked LX? I'd be calling corporate.
Old 01-31-24, 08:17 AM
ljefts
3rd Gear

Should I ask (first) if the local dealer can give me a print out of what repairs were completed (by the selling dealer)? I am no lawyer but would assume I have the right to those records, right?
Old 01-31-24, 10:18 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Did you ask the selling dealer if it was clean with no accidents? If they said yes, just return the car back to them for a refund citing they have been untruthful. Is an easy one as there is a record of them initiating the repairs.
The following users liked this post:
bibika027 (02-02-24)
Old 01-31-24, 10:47 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ljefts
Should I ask (first) if the local dealer can give me a print out of what repairs were completed (by the selling dealer)? I am no lawyer but would assume I have the right to those records, right?
Yes, but I wouldn’t tell them what it’s about.
Old 01-31-24, 09:11 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Don't trust carfax. Repair can be done in a way that didn't need to be 'noted'... say getting parts from a junk yard and replace at a friendly body shop? Do an inspection in person / via a person you trust.
Old 02-01-24, 03:08 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

you can ask the dealer for the print out or do it yourself, all you need to do is create a free account and look up the maintenance history on this Lexus website.
Let us know how it goes please.
https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus
Old 02-01-24, 07:31 AM
mfeferman
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
you can ask the dealer for the print out or do it yourself, all you need to do is create a free account and look up the maintenance history on this Lexus website.
Just find a competent lawyer and have them write a letter around 'deceptive trade practices' and return the vehicle with the letter.
Old 02-02-24, 03:57 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Originally Posted by mfeferman
Just find a competent lawyer and have them write a letter around 'deceptive trade practices' and return the vehicle with the letter.
A lawyer is not required to download the maintenance history, only an account on the Lexus website.
Old 02-02-24, 06:04 AM
ljefts
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. Had no idea I could sign in and find the records! Records show just before I looked at the car: “alloy wheel repair on 12/3”, “Dent Wizard” on 12/4, “paint” on 12/5, and another body repair on 12/26. The selling dealer finally got back to me and said they would find out what was repaired and get back to me today. I'm hoping they can show me pictures/repair records so that I can confirm this was something small and nothing major (as i still have another week to return the car). Still really disappointed the dealer sold this to me as a certified car with "no damage" box checked on their disclosure form (when they had themselves repaired/body work just days before I looked at it)!
Old 02-02-24, 06:39 AM
mfeferman
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys. Had no idea I could sign in and find the records! Records show just before I looked at the car: “alloy wheel repair on 12/3”, “Dent Wizard” on 12/4, “paint” on 12/5, and another body repair on 12/26. The selling dealer finally got back to me and said they would find out what was repaired and get back to me today. I'm hoping they can show me pictures/repair records so that I can confirm this was something small and nothing major (as i still have another week to return the car). Still really disappointed the dealer sold this to me as a certified car with "no damage" box checked on their disclosure form (when they had themselves repaired/body work just days before I looked at it)!
that’s why I would just return the car. And yes, I would go the lawyer route, because that’s deceptive AF. I hate shady dealers. This is not an honest mistake.
The following users liked this post:
ERC4 (02-17-24)
Old 02-02-24, 07:02 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,287 Likes on 996 Posts

Lexus CPO allows minor damages that don't affect structure integrity. Look on Lexus site for exact definition of allowed repairs. I understand your concerns. Did the dealer take this in on trade or buy at auction? Auctions have strict rules about disclosing repairs. If purchased at auction, dealer would likely be aware of condition. If trade in maybe not aware of full extent of repairs. The good news is, it's CPO and dealer must warranty repair for the next few years. In theory, the car has diminished value and will be harder to sell due to repair from accident. A refund of several thousand dollars would be appropriate if not a return and full refund including taxes, etc. Hope you get. full info and a satisfactory resolution.
Old 02-04-24, 08:14 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

CPO is a good thing to have.
I see you live in a snow and salt environment which means corrosion could potentially become a major issue on the repaired areas if they didn’t properly seal the exposed metal.
Old 02-04-24, 08:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Salt/rust really shouldn't be taking out a 5 year old LX out.

Something's fishy.
Old 02-04-24, 12:26 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

CPO vehicles can still have 'minor'' accidents. I've seen this before when I was shopping. How far did you look into when you shopped? just copy of carfax or did you go through Lexes owner login as well? What's the specific on the vehicle? 60k CPO with how many miles? is it fully loaded? Could be that your purchase price reflected some of these issues handled in the past. Considering that Lexus is taking care of it all under your CPO warranty (or could be that you still have your OEM bumper to bumper warranty coverage, I'm not sure I would worry much on it. You could always call back on the other dealership and asked if they were aware of this but honestly, I'm not sure they owe you that response. Again you're buying a used vehicle and with CPO, they just need to complete Lexus OEM's inspection list. Try google search for that list and see whether any of these issues would have been caught during inspection. If so, use that as a leverage to return for a full refund. if they don't cooperate, try their corporate. In my experience, they're always easy to work with consumers. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Purchased CPO LX570 - Now Discovering Issues