LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Does a LX 570 make sense for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 04:23 AM
mm7479
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a LX 570 make sense for me?

I'm trying to decide between getting either a 2022 GX 460 or a ~2018-19 LX 570, similar miles and price ranges.
My primary use case is going to be long trips in winter conditions and having to spend nights in the car fairly often.
Also plenty of driving on dirt/sandy roads and forest service roads in the US, no rock crawling.

What's the right decision here? Any hidden variables I might not be considering?
(Not worried about gas mileage or total range too much.)

I know the LX is well built and reliable, but is that enough to get it over a newer GX?

Old 04-09-24, 05:38 AM
FBH
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Go LX

Definitely LX!! I went through the same comparison. We highway cruise, go skiing in pretty snowy conditions, generally on the go every season in the Northeast. While the GX is very good, the LX is really head and shoulders better. The ride, the comfort, the build quality, all a cut above the rest. I have a 19 LX, it’s a keeper. I may buy a new LX 600 too, for my wife.

The GX is a 7/8’s LX…but if you drive the LX, it’ll be difficult to go back to the GX.
Old 04-09-24, 10:03 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

I found seats in LX to be much more comfortable compared with GX (I had a 2021 GX and traded it for 2021 LX), so if you do long drives, seat comfort is as important as it can ever be. Ride quality is also noticeably better in the LX. Inside space (cabin width primarily) is also better. Hope this helps your decision.
Old 04-09-24, 05:57 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

OP - how many riders are you expecting? You alone? If no more than 2 ppl expected, I’d say GX is a better fit.

You mentioned you may be ‘sleeping’ in the vehicle. If so, width of LX is definitely the way to go but keep in mind, 2nd row on LX folds and they ‘stand up’ sort of, so you don’t get the entire trunk space to lay down flat. 2nd row on GX folds but not completely. Depends on how you plan to ‘lay down’, GX maybe a better fit.

You said gas mileage or total range may not matter but based on my experience, highway driving with GX was 2-3 MPG better which made a difference when LX tank only gets me 300 mpg where as GX tank could go up to upper 300’s. Less stop for gas on long trips helps.

I love our 17 LX but honestly 20+ redesigned GX is great looking (owned 15GX before). Also updated interior on 22-23 including apple CarPlay is hard to beat.

Not knowing your exact situation, I’d go with. GX option but wait it out some until new GX550 hits the market. That should soften your used car price some.
Old 04-10-24, 05:09 AM
fireskigir
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the LX. It is larger and more comfortable. It is a Land Cruiser but with a different suspension. Otherwise, it is a LC. Try to find an LX without the 3rd row. We love ours for the room. The GX is smaller. Also, LX's are no longer made. To boot, only 4000 LX's were imported each year, so they are increasingly difficult to find. GX's are readily avaiable. You won't lose buying an LX if you decided you don't want to keep it. People hunt for them.
Old 04-11-24, 10:21 AM
mm7479
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baboya96
OP - how many riders are you expecting? You alone? If no more than 2 ppl expected, I’d say GX is a better fit.
Yeah, rarely more than two.
Seems feasible to put a foam pad on the back of both the GX and LX and have similar comfort, maybe a plank for a base.

How much of a slant does the GX bed have once seats are folded?
Old 04-11-24, 10:27 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

there were a TON of GXs leased out. So now, there should be a double ton of certified preowned GXs. as such, you should be able to get a great deal on one.

So the answer i would give: If you are stealing the GX from the dealership, take it. If you have to pay the same GX or LX, obviously take the LX
Old 04-15-24, 05:43 AM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Consider the Barn Door style of the GX vs the hatch and tailgate combo of the LX.
Overall I prefer the tailgate combo to the barn door, but there were some benefits of that, such as shorter reach in.
For me after driving a GX 470 for a few years, then 460s for a few years the LX is my choice now. But both are capable, comfortable well built vehicles.
Old 04-18-24, 01:20 AM
Eferrari34
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would never compare the two, but if you’re not worried about MPG it’s a no brainer for most of us. The LX is WAY more comfortable & rides better. You can add CarPlay to the LX for relatively cheap.
Old 04-21-24, 09:14 PM
adafee
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have driven both GX and LX.
I agree even a 2 row LX 570 is more equipped than a same year GX 460 premium edition. but you have to factor in a few things before you make the purchase.
1. LX 570 is very wide and it makes it hard to park in many places. I find street parking is challenging in Los Angeles and I do worry about other cars scratch its paint at grocery stores. For my GX 460, I will worry less since the truck is narrow.
2. LX's size and dynamics also make it ponderous to drive in the city. It's great for long road trips but most of my trips are to the church, grocery store, shopping malls and gas stations. GX 460 is a lot more agile and I feel confident and relaxed driving in the city.
3. LX's fuel economy is very poor. it keeps me go to the gas station every week. but my GX travels 260 - 280 miles with one tank in the city and I go to the gas station every two weeks.
4. LX is more spacious and it's more comfortable for long trips. Since it's very wide I feel it's safer during collision and the weight and wide body makes it harder to roll over. Its audio system is top-notch. but the cargo space is compromised when it adds the third row. I feel my GX has more cargo space once I fold the second row. but the LX's third row seats' folding position makes the cargo space shrinks quite a bit.
If you really love these body on frame luxury SUVs and you can afford them, better to buy both GX and LX and drive them at different conditions. otherwise you have to think more carefully.

Last edited by adafee; 04-21-24 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-24-24, 07:44 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mm7479
I'm trying to decide between getting either a 2022 GX 460 or a ~2018-19 LX 570, similar miles and price ranges.
My primary use case is going to be long trips in winter conditions and having to spend nights in the car fairly often.
Also plenty of driving on dirt/sandy roads and forest service roads in the US, no rock crawling.

What's the right decision here? Any hidden variables I might not be considering?

I know the LX is well built and reliable, but is that enough to get it over a newer GX?
Both vehicles are extremely good. To choose between the two, when price wise they are same, off course one is slightly older than the other, I would go with LX. I am saying this based on my experience of owning both vehicles. Wider and more comfortable seats. Slightly expensive on fuel but overall more comfortable than GX.
Old 05-14-24, 06:50 AM
Aikimatt
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mm7479

To me it is a no brainer based on your use case and lack of fuel costs concerns, LX 570 is a luxury Land Cruiser, GX is not. Why settle for second place? My LX only has 125 k so expecting over 300 k min. I have replaced the rear bumper with a descent off road, moved the spare out from underneath onto a swing out to make room for an extended fuel tank. New 17 inch wheels and 35” tires without any cutting, gives an even more comfortable ride versus the 21 inch low profile tires. I took out the third row since I am not using it for soccer mom duties. Long rides are mandatory now. Heading out for a month in June. Road Trip!