Overall ownership Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-24, 11:27 PM
Charles407
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overall ownership Opinions

Hey to the Lexus Family,

I currently own a 11 Es 240k miles as my daily, which she did have a little tranny issue after hitting 200k and a swap of fluids did the trick for the moment which she still shifts a little rough and the VVTI gears had been making a loud sound off and on for years now and I want to give AnnaMae a break. I have been thinking about upgrading either to a RX or LX.

I have been looking on CL and doing some research on the LX and I’m looking at 08-16 years but trying to go above 2011 not back, depending on what my cash can get me. So I read a few things. The ML system going out or not playing sound, I have seen few people talking about tranny issue and ETC. Before I start shopping, what is ownership like for the Lx maintenance wise to look out for and keeping cash on hand for select repairs that I could run into. Thanks.
Old 06-06-24, 09:17 AM
Misteracng
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you like the ES m, then the RX is much closer and more familiar just taller with SUV size and feel, similar maintenance.

the LX is significantly different, body on frame, much heavier, drives like a truck, very heavy but very comfortable. It is reliable but there is much more maintenance to keep on top of, or else you might have more issues. Since everything is bigger and heavier duty overall maintenance is still mor expensive.
once you drive both you will quickly undertand.
also an LX like 2011 range will be significantly old at this point, let’s say it has at 100k miles or above you really need to know that maintenances were done well or else you take a big risk.
The following users liked this post:
Vlad6525 (06-06-24)
Old 06-06-24, 10:08 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

2016 was the first year of the big update for LX, for both exterior and interior (mechanics are same, but pretty much every electronic was updated...new infotainment etc.), I'd consider either staying in the 2014-2015 MY or stepping up to at least 2018-2019 MY. And yes, the older they are the more important it becomes to make sure the truck was maintained and not neglected.
Absolutely agree with Misteracng - RX would be a much more familiar place for you after the ES...LX is a totally different breed. Not trying to discourage you from getting an LX...not at all...we own both (RX and LX), but they are very different machines. Also, for the price of a 2014-2015 LX you can probably get a 2019-2020 RX so this is also something to think about...
Old 06-06-24, 12:05 PM
Charles407
Rookie

Originally Posted by Misteracng
If you like the ES m, then the RX is much closer and more familiar just taller with SUV size and feel, similar maintenance.

the LX is significantly different, body on frame, much heavier, drives like a truck, very heavy but very comfortable. It is reliable but there is much more maintenance to keep on top of, or else you might have more issues. Since everything is bigger and heavier duty overall maintenance is still mor expensive.
once you drive both you will quickly undertand.
also an LX like 2011 range will be significantly old at this point, let’s say it has at 100k miles or above you really need to know that maintenances were done well or else you take a big risk.
I have driven the Rx a number of times and the only downfall I do not like is the engine noise that comes into the cabin, I wanted to go back to a full-size SUV size of the Expedition which I had and was totaled out a year ago and not the cross-over size. I have been looking at the GX 460 but I have heard that the ride is better in the LX and from what I have been looking at between the interiors the GX in my view gives more of the 4runner feel with the dash setup, I have been trying to hunt down a GX with an ML which I like to stay with since my ES has the ML.
Old 06-06-24, 12:19 PM
Charles407
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vlad6525
2016 was the first year of the big update for LX, for both exterior and interior (mechanics are same, but pretty much every electronic was updated...new infotainment etc.), I'd consider either staying in the 2014-2015 MY or stepping up to at least 2018-2019 MY. And yes, the older they are the more important it becomes to make sure the truck was maintained and not neglected.
Absolutely agree with Misteracng - RX would be a much more familiar place for you after the ES...LX is a totally different breed. Not trying to discourage you from getting an LX...not at all...we own both (RX and LX), but they are very different machines. Also, for the price of a 2014-2015 LX you can probably get a 2019-2020 RX so this is also something to think about...
The price is something I have been thinking about for sure because I did want to stay in the 14-19 years, but the price is like I might as well hop to the New TX with the 3.5 plug-in, but I am trying to stick to payments for under 3 years which I can do a used 2015-19 but the price on used IDK. That is something I have noted with finding one that has been maintained, and I have been sending vin's to my advisor at Lexus of Orlando to check and it is only one that I have found that has been completely serviced at Lexus all the other ones hop around, they are serviced at Lexus for a while and leave and come back a two years later.
Old 06-06-24, 12:53 PM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles407
The price is something I have been thinking about for sure because I did want to stay in the 14-19 years, but the price is like I might as well hop to the New TX with the 3.5 plug-in, but I am trying to stick to payments for under 3 years which I can do a used 2015-19 but the price on used IDK. That is something I have noted with finding one that has been maintained, and I have been sending vin's to my advisor at Lexus of Orlando to check and it is only one that I have found that has been completely serviced at Lexus all the other ones hop around, they are serviced at Lexus for a while and leave and come back a two years later.
If you can find a good deal on a 2018-2019 LX I think you'll really enjoy it, just make sure it has maintenance records and maybe get an independent mechanic to look at it before you buy. If you can afford paying for a new TX, you should be fine with payments on a '19 LX. Also better chance of getting a '19 LX that was exclusively maintained by Lexus rather than elsewhere compared with earlier years. Best of luck to you!
Charles407 (06-06-24)
Old 06-06-24, 06:27 PM
Misteracng
Driver

Since you are looking at full size SUV then the LX would be very nice, it is a bit longer then the GX but much wider, that is the biggest difference, LX interior is of course for premium, GX ride is a nice form but pleasant body on frame truck, LX with AHC is very smooth, a bit floaty, best for cruising not sports driving no matter what the mode says you can do. The LX feels significantly heavier and massive compared to the GX

I use the gx for daily driver, but I did pick up the LX just the have the 5.7 V8, and experience the real Lexus experience. The new cars like TX and new RX are on paper better in all aspects, but just don’t feel premium for the price you pay, and the turbo 4 while fine, does not sound great at all especially how much it costs.
Charles407 (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 05:25 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

i owned an RX350 2009. rode it to 220K miles, then gave it to my daughter for another 20K, when she traded it in. Worst i had was a radiator that blew out at around 160K and a rear wheel bearing at around 15K miles. It DID blow thru brake pads, though. As my mechanic explained it: they are car brakes on an SUV, that is why they wore out so quickly.

then i have had an LX570 2018 for the last 3 years. I love the bigger size, especialy the width. that helps on long road trips, when you do not want to be in each others face the whole trip. Also there is a ton more room. the only downside, dismal gas mileage. I just replaced the brakes in this thing at 96K miles: same mechanic said "they are truck brakes, that is why they lasted so long. AND the front ones still had lots of wear left in them"

I would highly recommend the new RX, maybe in plug in hybrid form. probably also will run to 250K miles for you. and they are pretty versatile, other than not being off road capable
Old 06-07-24, 09:49 PM
Charles407
Rookie

Originally Posted by biff44
i owned an RX350 2009. rode it to 220K miles, then gave it to my daughter for another 20K, when she traded it in. Worst i had was a radiator that blew out at around 160K and a rear wheel bearing at around 15K miles. It DID blow thru brake pads, though. As my mechanic explained it: they are car brakes on an SUV, that is why they wore out so quickly.

then i have had an LX570 2018 for the last 3 years. I love the bigger size, especialy the width. that helps on long road trips, when you do not want to be in each others face the whole trip. Also there is a ton more room. the only downside, dismal gas mileage. I just replaced the brakes in this thing at 96K miles: same mechanic said "they are truck brakes, that is why they lasted so long. AND the front ones still had lots of wear left in them"

I would highly recommend the new RX, maybe in plug in hybrid form. probably also will run to 250K miles for you. and they are pretty versatile, other than not being off road capable
the new RX is a HARD PAST! I do not like the styling of the exterior and interior it’s a past for me. I feel as if it takes a look of a Honda, with the front end so no. I also feel as if it went down in size and in a totally different direction for me compared to the 4 Gen, I do know a few people who have the new RX and they love it, but for me, it's a no. My service advisor did me a favor a month ago and gave me the RX for a loaner and I can’t do the 4-cylinder in a luxury car.

Last edited by Charles407; 06-07-24 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-07-24, 09:51 PM
Charles407
Rookie

I do appreciate the responses from everyone! I do have a question, as I do live in Orlando and don’t plan on doing any off roading what do you guys think maintenance could be like besides oil changes.
Old 06-08-24, 06:08 AM
Misteracng
Driver

LX maintenance would be more than an RX. Besides oil changes, you have front and rear differential, and transfer case, transmission, AHC fluid, brakes more often, driveshaft lube, coolant, theres more maintenance then some cares, but that what it takes to keep it running well. On the other hand you can do all these maintenances yourself if you want to, it’s not complicated and doesn’t require special tools or computers
Charles407 (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 01:27 PM
Charles407
Rookie

Originally Posted by Misteracng
LX maintenance would be more than an RX. Besides oil changes, you have front and rear differential, and transfer case, transmission, AHC fluid, brakes more often, driveshaft lube, coolant, theres more maintenance then some cares, but that what it takes to keep it running well. On the other hand you can do all these maintenances yourself if you want to, it’s not complicated and doesn’t require special tools or computers
that is good to know something I can do myself, I can get lazy and send my car to Lexus or my uncle. Thanks for the input trying to grab as much research and information before I make a move.
Old 06-09-24, 09:22 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles407
the new RX is a HARD PAST! I do not like the styling of the exterior and interior it’s a past for me. I feel as if it takes a look of a Honda, with the front end so no. I also feel as if it went down in size and in a totally different direction for me compared to the 4 Gen, I do know a few people who have the new RX and they love it, but for me, it's a no. My service advisor did me a favor a month ago and gave me the RX for a loaner and I can’t do the 4-cylinder in a luxury car.
i have not looked at the new one. But you have a point, the old rx was not that sporty looking.

but i suggest you actually try driving one. They are basically an almost perfectly engineered vehicle. lots more interior room than you might suspect. run forever. are great at high speed, can tow stuff, are almost perfect for one person road tripping (but just a little small for 2 people on a long trip). the new one solved the gas mileage problem, so unless you need offroading capability, i now of no better mid sized SUV to buy

if you do get one, make sure to get the tow hitch AND the roof top crossbars.

Last edited by biff44; 06-09-24 at 09:25 AM.
Charles407 (06-10-24)
Old 06-15-24, 08:20 AM
Charles407
Rookie

Sorry for the late response, I have been getting ready to do a suspension overhaul to the ES. I have made up my mind on which direction I plan on taking still doing a little research to see what’s out there when it comes to maintenance, thanks a ton for the input. If anyone has suggestions please do post or PM me. I just have to hunt down the right one.