LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Power gains on the 200 series - Starting from 100% stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-24, 02:20 PM
baktasht
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Default ECU Tuning & HP gains LC200 and LX570 w VFTuner - Starting from 100% stock

I wanted to start a thread apart from my other one to track the work and experience directly related to increasing power on the LC200 / LX570. The last several years there have been great improvements in capabilities to tune the ECU on the LC200 and the LX570 platform.

I have a TRD supercharger on the shelf that I'll be installing in a couple of months, along with new larger DW injectors and a big Bosch pump. I am not ready to do that yet, so I wanted to get an idea of what sort of power increase can be had on a 100% stock setup. No mods at all, other than just a simple flash tune to the ECU.

I was expecting 5-10 HP/TQ increase at best, but the results were surprising. I did a full video of my experience, the testing methodology, and all the data in as much detail as I could get. It's a little bit of a long video, but if you're a nerd about real data and seeing what the actual difference is versus just the "butt dyno", this might be worth a watch for you.

Once I get to the TRD supercharger installation and then tuning again after that I will continue to post updates in this thread to keep it all in one place.

here's the video of before/after testing with an ECU flash tune on the 100% stock unmodified 200 series:

-

UPDATE - JUNE 11, 2024:

A quick update on MPG, drivability, and overall view of the OTT ECU tune that Lonestar Yota Tuning applied in this first round of modification.

* Power increase in the lower and mid RPM ranges are noticeable both when driving around town normally, and also when towing our boat.

* I really like the more aggressive shift pattern. It feels like this is how it should have come from the factory. One of my biggest complaints on the 2016-2021 LC200 / LX570 has always been how sluggish it feels, much more sluggish than the 2008-2015. With this tune and new shifting it feels great. Always seems to be in the appropriate gear during city driving around town, and no longer "hunts" for a gear when towing or on the highway at cruising speeds.

* MPG - This was interesting. The first several days I was convinced I was getting way worse gas mileage. It was about 1 - 1.5 MPG less than before over the first week full week of driving. Same usual driving I do which is about 60% city and 40% highway. I was ready for a tank of gas, so like usual I reset my MPG to let it start measuring again from scratch. At the end of week 2 I am about 0.7 MPG better than before the tune. I think the first week I was just pedal-happy and playing with the power band to get a feel for where the noticeable increases were. Once that new-tune-fun wore off and I got back to normal driving, my MPG is actually slightly better than before the tune. During towing our big ol' boat the MPG still seems to be about the same as before the tune.

* Some people say idle is better, but I honestly notice no difference. The idle before and after the tune is identical on my LX570.

* During the flash it seems that my setting to automatically apply the e-brake when in P has been disabled. I have to play with the settings to remember where that setting was to re-enable it.

* ECO mode still works the same as before, decreasing throttle response and forcing you to drive more economically.

* Normal mode now acts closer to what Sport+ mode used to be. But not quite. Just feels like it should have come from the factory this way.

* Sport+ mode seems to be similar aggressive shifting as before. I never really used Sport+ mode much, other than to just play with a couple of times. So I'm not sure if the tune actually effects Sport+ shifting or not. To me it seems the same as before.

Would I recommend the tune now that I've had it for a couple of weeks? Ya, i think so. I think it's worth the $450 or so that Lonestar Yota Tuning charges for the OTT tune.
UPDATE JUNE 12, 2024:
Installed VF Tuner, registered the WiFlash device, and flashed the ECU base calibration file to the LX570:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...l#post11755041

Last edited by baktasht; 07-12-24 at 01:47 PM. Reason: title change
Old 07-01-24, 06:51 AM
Pathfnder
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless it significantly increase my around town mpg I'm not sure I need to mess w anything. On my diesels it was an upgrade.
Old 07-01-24, 11:15 AM
baktasht
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pathfnder
Unless it significantly increase my around town mpg I'm not sure I need to mess w anything. On my diesels it was an upgrade.
On the turbo diesel a tune can definitely make a big impact. On the naturally aspirated 5.7L 3UR it's a very slight change.
Old 07-11-24, 07:06 PM
baktasht
Pit Crew

A quick update on MPG, drivability, and overall view of the OTT ECU tune that Lonestar Yota Tuning applied in this first round of modification.

* Power increase in the lower and mid RPM ranges are noticeable both when driving around town normally, and also when towing our boat.

* I really like the more aggressive shift pattern. It feels like this is how it should have come from the factory. One of my biggest complaints on the 2016-2021 LC200 / LX570 has always been how sluggish it feels, much more sluggish than the 2008-2015. With this tune and new shifting it feels great. Always seems to be in the appropriate gear during city driving around town, and no longer "hunts" for a gear when towing or on the highway at cruising speeds.

* MPG - This was interesting. The first several days I was convinced I was getting way worse gas mileage. It was about 1 - 1.5 MPG less than before over the first week full week of driving. Same usual driving I do which is about 60% city and 40% highway. I was ready for a tank of gas, so like usual I reset my MPG to let it start measuring again from scratch. At the end of week 2 I am about 0.7 MPG better than before the tune. I think the first week I was just pedal-happy and playing with the power band to get a feel for where the noticeable increases were. Once that new-tune-fun wore off and I got back to normal driving, my MPG is actually slightly better than before the tune. During towing our big ol' boat the MPG still seems to be about the same as before the tune.

* Some people say idle is better, but I honestly notice no difference. The idle before and after the tune is identical on my LX570.

* During the flash it seems that my setting to automatically apply the e-brake when in P has been disabled. I have to play with the settings to remember where that setting was to re-enable it.

* ECO mode still works the same as before, decreasing throttle response and forcing you to drive more economically.

* Normal mode now acts closer to what Sport+ mode used to be. But not quite. Just feels like it should have come from the factory this way.

* Sport+ mode seems to be similar aggressive shifting as before. I never really used Sport+ mode much, other than to just play with a couple of times. So I'm not sure if the tune actually effects Sport+ shifting or not. To me it seems the same as before.

Would I recommend the tune now that I've had it for a couple of weeks? Ya, i think so. I think it's worth the $450 or so that Lonestar Yota Tuning charges for the OTT tune.
Old 07-12-24, 01:41 PM
baktasht
Pit Crew

I finally got my VFTuner & WiFlash in yesterday. I got the VFTuner Wiflash device installed, registered the Wiflash serial number, and then registered the vehicles ECU with the VFTuner OVTune support team. I also flashed the base calibration file for my 2017 Lexus LX570.

I can confirm for you 100% that this absolutely does work on and is supported by VF Tuner for the 2008-2015 Land Cruiser, 2008-2015 LX570, 2016-2021 Land Cruiser, and 2016-2021 LX570.

Yes, I know, you are thinking to yourself "why did he pay $400 for Lonestar Yota Tuning to flash an OTT tune onto his LX570 if he was just going to overwrite it"?? This was the plan all along. I wanted to see what type of power gains there were to be had from a basic flash tune. I did that on the last video and did a bunch of before and after testing on my 100% stock LX570. The results were actually impressive, but I just did it to collect data, show you guys what the flash tunes can do for your Land Cruiser & LX570.

Now I am ready to get setup to make the slow journey towards supercharging and tuning my LX570 as the next steps. I'll keep sharing the progress as I get further along.

Here's the video:

-