TUNDRA: 112,484 units
Old 07-18-06, 03:04 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting update...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128909

Quote:
Toyota's next-generation Land Cruiser 130-series will be here shortly. As this is the company's top-of-the-range flagship 4x4 model, the new arrival has been a much-kept secret, but now information has been leaked and revealed.

As most of us should already know, the styling is going to be more aggressive and even more robust. Styling clues from the FTX concept vehicle (shown at the Detroit Auto Show) will heavily influence the new design. The Land Cruiser will also grow significantly in every dimension. The 4x4 is said to be longer, wider and sit lower. The height of the body will remain largely unchanged, but it is said that the SUV will sit lower than normal to give a more stable ride and brilliant on-road manners. This system is also a part of Gen-2 active height control and TEMS suspension system, which give the suspension even more travel for off-road usage.

The Land Cruiser 130-series will also be available with a new line-up of engines. There will be 4.5L V8 32v Twin Turbo D-4D common-rail diesel that develops 306hp and turns out almost a whopping 600nm of torque. This engine will replace the six-cylinder diesel available in the current Cruiser. The current gasoline engine will be replaced with a 5.0L V8 VVT-I that develops 335bhp. Torque figures are not yet confirmed for the gas engine, but should be similar to the diesel. To tune things down a bit Toyota is going to also give the 2007 Cruiser the same VVT-I 4.0L V6 240hp gasoline engine used in both the Prado and FJ Cruiser. The engines will also be mated to either a six-speed manual gearbox or a silky-smooth 6-speed Tiptronic gearbox borrowed from the Phaeton and Touareg. The Tiptronic box will be standard on diesel and V8 gasoline engines, and optional on the V6 model.

It has been rumored that Toyota is going to launch it 2007 LX550 in the US with a 5.5 liter V8 engine. This is not true! Toyota was going to introduce the new LX500 in the US, which has the same engine as the Land Cruiser 130. The last minute decision by Toyota Motor Company was that after 2007 they will discontinue the LX range from North America and sell the LX500 in Japan with a new Name: Cygnus 500 and the Land Cruiser will remain as the only Japanese-built full-sized SUV in the US.

A head spokesmen, Akio Lya, at Toyota Motor Company said, "This is a bold decision that Toyota and Lexus are taking but we just couldn't keep both of them together in North America. We have been forced to drop the LX as we are planning to create completely different designs for upcoming Toyota and Lexus models. Following the year 2007 the new Land Cruiser 130 will also be available in Japan in its twin Lexus form. The Japanese market is completely different from the US and Europe and having two virtually-identical models are acceptable. The Toyota brand is known globally and has built up such as strong reputation that the name Land Cruiser is a legend and will live on. The Land Cruiser offered to the North American Market is going to be more luxurious and so much more desirable to those customers. We at Toyota Motor Company have made the right decision and will offer the Lexus LX again 2009 with a different design and totally different looks, which will stand apart from the Land Cruiser range
Old 07-18-06, 03:33 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

That figures well with what people in the industry (I'm an auto wholesaler) have told me they expected. When AHC was added to LC, the lines between LC & LX were definitely blurring to the point that it wasn't making much sense. I personally thought the LX would be discontinued & a Sequoia-based Lexus introduced, but this article leaves that vague.

Again, I'll be disappointed if the LX name ends up on a non-LC based vehicle. I'd rather see the LX end-of-life and a new model introduced, but I also understand wanting to capitalize on the branding done so far and so well w/ the 450 & 470.
Old 07-18-06, 04:15 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

As an LX470 owner, I am happy and sad at this decision, assuming its 100% correct. For one, my LX should be even rarer to find once Lexus discontinues it from the NA market, but the LC is very capable of taking up the slack.... However, a LC is a LC, and is a Toyota which means that buyers who want luxury and customer service would find it hard to buy a super luxurious LC with a Toyota service bay for service and repairs.... Would Toyota upgrade their service for the new LC owners to match the level of luxury in this 130 series ?

Finally, would the diesel model make it to the NA market ? I'd sure love to see the diesel here mated to a 6-speed MT... Should be a more fun truck to drive.... sits lower, wider, more powerful, better MPG, more torque and a short-throw MT.... What's not to like....
Old 07-19-06, 02:43 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I want that twin turbo V8 32V D4D engine!
Old 07-19-06, 08:18 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tetra7
Interesting update...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128909

Quote:
Toyota's next-generation Land Cruiser 130-series will be here shortly. As this is the company's top-of-the-range flagship 4x4 model, the new arrival has been a much-kept secret, but now information has been leaked and revealed.

As most of us should already know, the styling is going to be more aggressive and even more robust. Styling clues from the FTX concept vehicle (shown at the Detroit Auto Show) will heavily influence the new design. The Land Cruiser will also grow significantly in every dimension. The 4x4 is said to be longer, wider and sit lower. The height of the body will remain largely unchanged, but it is said that the SUV will sit lower than normal to give a more stable ride and brilliant on-road manners. This system is also a part of Gen-2 active height control and TEMS suspension system, which give the suspension even more travel for off-road usage.

The Land Cruiser 130-series will also be available with a new line-up of engines. There will be 4.5L V8 32v Twin Turbo D-4D common-rail diesel that develops 306hp and turns out almost a whopping 600nm of torque. This engine will replace the six-cylinder diesel available in the current Cruiser. The current gasoline engine will be replaced with a 5.0L V8 VVT-I that develops 335bhp. Torque figures are not yet confirmed for the gas engine, but should be similar to the diesel. To tune things down a bit Toyota is going to also give the 2007 Cruiser the same VVT-I 4.0L V6 240hp gasoline engine used in both the Prado and FJ Cruiser. The engines will also be mated to either a six-speed manual gearbox or a silky-smooth 6-speed Tiptronic gearbox borrowed from the Phaeton and Touareg. The Tiptronic box will be standard on diesel and V8 gasoline engines, and optional on the V6 model.

It has been rumored that Toyota is going to launch it 2007 LX550 in the US with a 5.5 liter V8 engine. This is not true! Toyota was going to introduce the new LX500 in the US, which has the same engine as the Land Cruiser 130. The last minute decision by Toyota Motor Company was that after 2007 they will discontinue the LX range from North America and sell the LX500 in Japan with a new Name: Cygnus 500 and the Land Cruiser will remain as the only Japanese-built full-sized SUV in the US.

A head spokesmen, Akio Lya, at Toyota Motor Company said, "This is a bold decision that Toyota and Lexus are taking but we just couldn't keep both of them together in North America. We have been forced to drop the LX as we are planning to create completely different designs for upcoming Toyota and Lexus models. Following the year 2007 the new Land Cruiser 130 will also be available in Japan in its twin Lexus form. The Japanese market is completely different from the US and Europe and having two virtually-identical models are acceptable. The Toyota brand is known globally and has built up such as strong reputation that the name Land Cruiser is a legend and will live on. The Land Cruiser offered to the North American Market is going to be more luxurious and so much more desirable to those customers. We at Toyota Motor Company have made the right decision and will offer the Lexus LX again 2009 with a different design and totally different looks, which will stand apart from the Land Cruiser range
So what kind of motor and tranny is this bad boy gonna get for the USA since it looks like we have no idea of what's to come from Toyota. I hope it's built in Indiana, be much easier and quicker production for sales.
Old 07-20-06, 06:11 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

I really dont think Toyota will use VWs transmission.
Old 07-21-06, 06:43 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ...

Looks like an airbrushed picture of a Sequoia to me....
Old 07-21-06, 07:56 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Besides, the LX470 outsells the LC here:

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc
End of Year 2004 Sales Figures:

LAND CRUISER: 6,778 units
LX 470: 9,846 units

4RUNNER: 114,212 units
GX 470: 35,420 units

SEQUOIA: 58,114 units
TUNDRA: 112,484 units
Amazing that the LX 470 outsells the LC even though the LX costs much more...
Old 07-21-06, 11:15 AM
greynolds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trexus
Amazing that the LX 470 outsells the LC even though the LX costs much more...
Comparably configured, the MSRP of the LX is only a little bit more than the LC (about $2000). For the difference in cost, you get the Mark Levinson sound system, better leather, rain sensing wipers, a better warranty, etc. Here in the Boston area, it's pretty much impossible to find a new LC without navigation, AHC, etc. (if you can even find one on a dealer lot) which means there's very little difference. In my case, I ended up with the LX because I was having a difficult time finding a LC on a dealer lot - I wanted to take a test drive before buying anything. If I could have found a LC without AHC and navigation, I probably would have gone that route.
Old 07-22-06, 04:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

kind of funny but with 4.6l engine having 380hp, why would 5.0l engine have 335? Even if you optimize it for truck, still doesnt make sense...
Old 07-23-06, 03:18 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Am I reading this correctly? 2006 Will be the last year of the LX?? Until 2009? Wow. That is a bummer! My father's 2002 is in dire need of a complete overhaul......He loves his LX and the 2006 didn't offer enough changes to warrant a trade in. Any suggestions?

LL
Old 07-23-06, 06:16 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus needs a Full-Size SUV so they're Going to Have to drop Something! Currently, that have a small SUV and TWO medium SUVs. Why two? If they decide to have a Large SUV, what are they going to have? One small SUV, two medium SUVs and one Large SUV? They need to drop the LX and bring in something bigger with luxury options. My Wife and I went to test drive an LX and it was lacking so many options that the Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade and Infiniti QX56 had. The LX should have the same options as the LS430 - especially with the price tag it carries!
Old 07-24-06, 05:35 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Given the very low sales level for the LX470, I can see where Toyota would want to discontinue it. My suggestion: replace it in the lineup with a unibody SUV based on the GS platform, with a fold-into-the-floor third row seat.
Old 07-24-06, 02:17 PM
flyfishman
Driver

Originally Posted by LuvLuxury
Am I reading this correctly? 2006 Will be the last year of the LX?? Until 2009? Wow. That is a bummer! My father's 2002 is in dire need of a complete overhaul......He loves his LX and the 2006 didn't offer enough changes to warrant a trade in. Any suggestions?

LL
I read that they are continuing the current body style for 2007 (LX only) but will have an all new platform for MY 2009. Will be intreresting to see if the LC is really new for 2007. Have my doubts.

Quick Reply: New Land Cruiser