LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus LX570 to debut at NYIAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 08:08 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'll see.. But even if it's on the smaller side of "full size", it'll be an improvement over the current "mid size" LX.
Old 03-29-07, 08:23 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
We'll see.. But even if it's on the smaller side of "full size", it'll be an improvement over the current "mid size" LX.
i think youll be surprised to see just how similar the exterior dimensions are to the current model.
Old 03-29-07, 09:19 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah.......
Old 03-29-07, 09:24 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah.......
you sound skeptical. you must have info that i dont have. please share.
Old 03-29-07, 10:09 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I'm skeptical because I think it's very unLexus-like to make such bad decisions. First, having two mid-size SUVs to beginwith. Second, for redesigning them and STILL ending up with two mid-size SUVs. And third, for not competing in the fullsize luxury SUV market.

It's as stupid as having two full-size luxury cars. Why not just have the LS460 and the LS460.5?
Old 03-29-07, 10:54 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

It's as stupid as having two full-size luxury cars. Why not just have the LS460 and the LS460.5?
you mean kinda like if they came out with an LS460 and an LS460L?
Old 03-29-07, 12:07 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I suppose if you want to play, then sure. But they're both the exact same car with a stretched wheelbase. The same advertising and research & development money goes into both the 460 and 460L. It's pretty standard these days with Mercedes, Audi, Chrysler, Ford, Cadillac, Lincoln and almost everybody else doing it.

We have the GS3 and the GS4. That's fine.

It would make more sense if there was an LX and an LX-L or a GX and a GX-L in that case. It just seems silly to have two vehicles competing against one another. Like Chevy having both the Camaro AND the Firebird. They're the same car. There's no room for both. All the advertising and R&D going into both can be given to one.

Lexus needs to keep the GX where it is and increase the size of the LX to compete with Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes, Land Rover and Hummer. Just think of all the sales that Lexus could steal from these various companies - if they had a full size luxury SUV.

Instead, they have two midsize luxury SUVs. It's a silly mistake.
Old 03-29-07, 12:07 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I'm skeptical because I think it's very unLexus-like to make such bad decisions. First, having two mid-size SUVs to beginwith. Second, for redesigning them and STILL ending up with two mid-size SUVs. And third, for not competing in the fullsize luxury SUV market.

You call LX a midsize SUV?

I'd say keep the current dimension. LX is suppose to be a luxo ute. Not bling bling SUV like Escalade or Navigator. Range Rover is doing well, and it's not as big as Escalade.

I hope jjbodean is right. I like to see new LX similar to current dimension.
Old 03-29-07, 12:31 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the LX is a midsize SUV. If I'm in the market for a full-size SUV and I want to buy a Lexus, I'm out of luck. I have to shop at Mercedes, Cadillac or Lincoln. Why?

If you want a midsize SUV, you have the GX. Why not increase the size of the LX? Obviously Lexus sales-people are trained to make one believe they're walking up to a BIG SUV at the test drive. They say things like "And Here's the BIG one!" emphasising BIG. After just getting out of a GX, "WTF are you talking about?! It's the same damned size"! heh!
Old 03-29-07, 12:54 PM
jwhitaker
Driver School Candidate

A friend of mine just got back from the dealer unveiling of the LX in LA. It isn't a true full-size by American standards. It is not significantly different than todays dimensions.
Old 03-29-07, 01:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sal, perhaps you aren't aware of this but the interior of the Mercedes GL is comparable to that of an X5 or Q7 in passenger space. It looks quite big from the outside, however the interior is noticeably smaller than the LX. I sat in both the ML and GL, and LX at the auto show a few weeks ago and I find Mercedes' strategy to be very interesting. The ML is about the size of a Rav4...there is decent room in the second row but you're not exactly comfortable, and the rear cargo area is barely acceptable for grocery runs. The RX 350 has a bigger and more comfortable interior than the ML.

Like I said, the GL is not a very big car on the inside. The rear seats of the Audi Q7 and even the GX470 have more space than the Mercedes, and the LX is FAR more comfortable compared to the GL.

Furthermore, the Hummer is a rebadged Tahoe and while the Escalade is the same, at least the Caddy has a little more class, and a half decent interior. I don't really think that H2's and LX's are cross shopped very often.

The existing LX is bigger than the GL and Range Rover, and a little smaller than the Escalade and Navigator. They don't need to be the biggest...especially since more size is going to sacrifice off road ability.

I think the "top" of the SUV class is ruled by the Range Rover, LX, and GL 450. The Escalade and Hummer I don't really consider in the same breath considering that they lack the necessary cachet IMO, though the top variants of the Escalade are quite nice. The range Rover, LX, and GL are all built on highly praised platforms that are capable on and off road, and it has been proven time and time again. They all also utilize better quality interior materials and features and come from more esteemed brands.

If Lexus stretches the LX a little bit here and there, they will be fine. Then there is a better fit for the GX and still leaves a little wiggle room for it's redesign.

Lastly, your classification is wrong. The LX is classified as a FULL SIZE SUV. If you don't believe me then double check it.
Old 03-29-07, 01:57 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

i will restate numbers i have posted here in the past. this is info i received back in november, but i havent gotten anything different since.

lx570 will be extremely similar in exterior dimensions to todays lx470. the firewall has been pushed forward creating 4 more inches of interior room and one more inch of cargo room behind the 3rd row seats.
Old 03-29-07, 02:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the LX is a midsize SUV. If I'm in the market for a full-size SUV and I want to buy a Lexus, I'm out of luck. I have to shop at Mercedes, Cadillac or Lincoln. Why?

If you want a midsize SUV, you have the GX. Why not increase the size of the LX? Obviously Lexus sales-people are trained to make one believe they're walking up to a BIG SUV at the test drive. They say things like "And Here's the BIG one!" emphasising BIG. After just getting out of a GX, "WTF are you talking about?! It's the same damned size"! heh!
I don't know where you're getting your info, but the LX is officially classified and considered to be a full size SUV, despite what your opinion of it may be. It's noticeably bigger than the GX.
Old 03-29-07, 02:19 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Sal, perhaps you aren't aware of this but the interior of the Mercedes GL is comparable to that of an X5 or Q7 in passenger space. It looks quite big from the outside, however the interior is noticeably smaller than the LX. I sat in both the ML and GL, and LX at the auto show a few weeks ago and I find Mercedes' strategy to be very interesting. The ML is about the size of a Rav4...there is decent room in the second row but you're not exactly comfortable, and the rear cargo area is barely acceptable for grocery runs. The RX 350 has a bigger and more comfortable interior than the ML.

Like I said, the GL is not a very big car on the inside. The rear seats of the Audi Q7 and even the GX470 have more space than the Mercedes, and the LX is FAR more comfortable compared to the GL.

Furthermore, the Hummer is a rebadged Tahoe and while the Escalade is the same, at least the Caddy has a little more class, and a half decent interior. I don't really think that H2's and LX's are cross shopped very often.

The existing LX is bigger than the GL and Range Rover, and a little smaller than the Escalade and Navigator. They don't need to be the biggest...especially since more size is going to sacrifice off road ability.

I think the "top" of the SUV class is ruled by the Range Rover, LX, and GL 450. The Escalade and Hummer I don't really consider in the same breath considering that they lack the necessary cachet IMO, though the top variants of the Escalade are quite nice. The range Rover, LX, and GL are all built on highly praised platforms that are capable on and off road, and it has been proven time and time again. They all also utilize better quality interior materials and features and come from more esteemed brands.

If Lexus stretches the LX a little bit here and there, they will be fine. Then there is a better fit for the GX and still leaves a little wiggle room for it's redesign.

Lastly, your classification is wrong. The LX is classified as a FULL SIZE SUV. If you don't believe me then double check it.
Everything you said makes sense.

I wish there was a bigger Lexus SUV.
Old 03-29-07, 02:21 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I don't know where you're getting your info, but the LX is officially classified and considered to be a full size SUV, despite what your opinion of it may be. It's noticeably bigger than the GX.
I don't remember where I read the LX was classifed as a mid-size, but if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.. I didn't make it up.. When all is said and done, the LX and GX are too close in size. I wish the LX would set itself apart from the GX more than it does. However, I'm only one voice. I do see that most Lexus enthusiasts are just fine without a BIG SUV...

Quick Reply: Lexus LX570 to debut at NYIAS