LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus LX570 to debut at NYIAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 02:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was hoping that the LX would be a big full-size SUV this time around, but the spyshots and the inside rumors on this thread seem to say the opposite.

There was a debate on the size issue on the LX wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lexus_LX

Technically, the LX is "fullsize" and described as such, specifically in that the interior space/cargo volume is rather large. But it is not the biggest representative of the fullsize category by far. Other "midsize" SUVs such as the Ford Explorer have a longer overall length and wheelbase, but up to 10 cubic feet less interior room and usually 2 less passengers. In that respect the LX seems quite efficient for its size. It has more of a fullsize capability.

However, the Escalade and OX56 all have a good significant size increase in volume, etc. over the LX. Which makes me think, for competitive reasons, they'd want to make the LX bigger, move up the GX slightly in size to accomodate 2 LX positioning, and leave room for the RX and RX L versions for 2008.

I'd think it would help the overall brand image of "we have a full lineup, all sizes" etc. However, a major caveat may be that the ultra-huge size vehicles might have a more difficult marketing case for them...

I am not clear on this, just as I'm not clear on how much L-finesse can do to change the appearance of the venerable LX, or how different it can be from the LC.
Old 03-29-07, 02:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sal-
I think that you've got a good point about the differences between the LX and GX being minimal. Truthfully though, in real world use, the LX's size advantage becomes obvious when you load the cargo area with stuff, or you want to carry more than 4 people. They are closer in size than the competition, but also, Lexus has carved out a very successful niche for themselves with these vehicles. The RX is one of their best selling products, the GX moves in solid numbers and is one of very few luxury utility vehicles that can tow and also tackle the tough stuff. Consider Land Rover's ****ty reliability and quality, and you really are left with one brand if you want an off road luxury vehicle: Lexus. The LX is the "ultimate" Lexus SUV in more features and quality than size, because truthfully the average family would be fine with a GX with the third row. The LX is a little bigger, a little nicer, and just offers a slightly different flavor than the GX.

I think we are used to the American car companies which have cookie cutter sizes and classes, and Lexus has carved out their portion of the SUV market a little differently than the Americans have. And they have also been quite successful, so why should they change their strategy?

If they push the LX a little bit in every dimension, then it widens the gap between it and the GX and spreads the lineup out a bit more, while still appealing to people who like the LX because it ISN'T the size of an Escalade or Navigator. Some people don't want all of that heft, which again, impairs off road ability (as well as parking, driving, braking, fuel economy, and various other things). If you live in the mountains or go there often, or live in a cold climate and have $75K to blow on something that needs to seat your entire family and all of your stuff, and be able to tackle ice/snow/water/dirt/mud...the LX is really the only choice. It's nice to see that Lexus is not changing it's strategy much.
Old 03-29-07, 03:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Valid points regarding toe off-road capability...maybe the temptation to upsize is tempered by the need to stay true to the LC/LX's legendary offroading capability. That said, I find:

Overall length/wheelbase (in)
Lexus LX 192.5 in 112.2 in
Lexus GX 188.2 in 109.8 in

Std/max passengers + cargo capacity
Lexus LX 8 8 90.4 cu. ft.
Lexus GX 5 8 77.5 cu. ft.

By comparison, the Cadillac Escalade is 202 in long/116 wheelbase for the standard version, Mercedes GL is 200 in long/121 wheelbase....max Escalade cargo 104 cu. ft., max GL cargo 83 cu. ft.

Maybe the GL is closer to the LX model....the LX is less bulky overall, but more than capable inside...
Old 03-29-07, 07:07 PM
jasonm641
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just talked to a dealer who claimed that the dealer council has given Lexus a list of things it "didn't like" about the LX that was shown in LA with the hope that there is an opportunity to tweak things. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that things are largely baked at this point. Also, Jan '08 was the date he gave for arrival in dealerships.
Old 03-29-07, 07:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Interesting...was the L.A. showing this year? If it showed up in early 2007, then few changes could be made...
Old 03-30-07, 05:38 AM
syswei
Pole Position

If the third row is going to be power-folding, it would be a nice touch if one could power-fold at least part of the second row to allow passengers to access the third row.
Old 03-30-07, 05:40 AM
syswei
Pole Position

I'm also hoping that they keep the msrp unchanged from 2007, but offer more standard equipment. There is more competition in the space now, as compared to when the LX470 came out.
Old 03-30-07, 06:45 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by syswei
If the third row is going to be power-folding, it would be a nice touch if one could power-fold at least part of the second row to allow passengers to access the third row.
yes, 2nd row is to be power sliding
Old 03-30-07, 06:55 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jasonm641
I just talked to a dealer who claimed that the dealer council has given Lexus a list of things it "didn't like" about the LX that was shown in LA with the hope that there is an opportunity to tweak things.
my experience with dealer council requests in the past is that they are largely ceremonial in nature and do little to no good
Old 03-30-07, 07:21 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbodean
yes, 2nd row is to be power sliding
Thanks for the info. Do you mean that it can power-slide back and forth to change legroom, and also power-fold to allow access to the third row?
Old 03-30-07, 08:03 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by syswei
Thanks for the info. Do you mean that it can power-slide back and forth to change legroom, and also power-fold to allow access to the third row?
unsure at this point, all i know is power slide 2nd row and power folding 3rd row. will post more info when it comes available, which will probably be 4/12 when everyone else gets it as well
Old 03-30-07, 08:15 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjbodean
will post more info when it comes available, which will probably be 4/12 when everyone else gets it as well
Don't you mean April 4?
Old 03-30-07, 11:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I remember hearing somewhere the new LX570 would be at dealers this Fall, not next year.
Old 03-30-07, 11:43 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Don't you mean April 4?
yes, sorry, 4/4 is correct
Old 03-30-07, 11:44 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I remember hearing somewhere the new LX570 would be at dealers this Fall, not next year.
eta right now is december this year

Quick Reply: Lexus LX570 to debut at NYIAS