LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus Unveils All-New LX 570 @ 2007 NYIAS (official pics & specs pg. 9)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 08:49 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh for crying out loud!!! WHAT IS THAT?? Why are they punishing the LX.. It looks like it was slapped with the back end of a Highlander stick.

I'm Done.
Old 04-05-07, 08:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is L-Finesse boring or refined?

Why has the top-of-the-line products of Lexus been very simple on the outside?

Lexus flaunts great technology (as in the LS) and, in the case of their SUVs, off-road performance (as in the LX and GX), yet they do not flaunt the design aspect of their vehicles? Is there passion in the design, or is that passion simply heart-felt warmth to please the conservative masses?

Not that I want the LX to look like the LF-A, but there needs to be design cues (other than flaunting a big "L" on the grill) that claims "This is Lexus at it's Best," not "This is Lexus being very cautious to please rich old people."

The Pursuit of Perfection sometimes requires crossing the line. Look that the Audi Q7 for example: it crosses the line with its design, and it is distinguishable without being audacious, such as H2s or Escalades. Has the Pursuit been misdirected? Is Perfection boring or bland?

The Definition of Finesse: refinement or delicacy of workmanship, structure, or texture.

Finesse is a value that many lack and few possess. However, Finesse needs to be complemented with a innovation to be competitive in today's world. Otherwise, it fades into the shadows of the past with little effect on the future. Perhaps the mantra of Lexus design needs to change from L-Finesse to L-Ingenious.

Lexus needs to rediscover their aptitude in discovering and reinventing their place in the luxury segment. Part of luxury is not only flaunting technology or high price tags; it is also the idea that rare and beautiful things are hard to come by.

I see finesse in paintings and photographs and sculptures. It requires utmost refinement and delicacy to create a work of art. However, ingenuity is what makes a painting or photograph or sculpture stand out from the rest. Ingenuity is what differentiates Greatest Works of Art from just a work or art.

Lexus needs ingenuity to further progress themselves in this market.

The Pursuit of Perfection continues...

P.S. I might as well make this a single topic on Car Chat...
Old 04-05-07, 08:57 AM
LexFather

Philip, I think its b/c Lexus does want new buyers but not to stray far enough from their loyal customers. Lexus doesn't see the need to let trends dictate their styling, nor have drunk/blind car designers create their new cars.

I am assuming with focus groups, Styling is just not big when it comes to the LX but more power/more luxury was.

Notice how now, the LX headlights look like LS units. I am positive the next GX will have quad lamps ala the GS, so the models will be aligned.

In this one pic, the car is not ugly but it surely does not strike a match in anyone. IMO, they basically rounded the lines. This is not a high volume sales vehicle.
Old 04-05-07, 09:02 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Why has the top-of-the-line products of Lexus been very simple on the outside?

Lexus flaunts great technology (as in the LS) and, in the case of their SUVs, off-road performance (as in the LX and GX), yet they do not flaunt the design aspect of their vehicles? Is there passion in the design, or is that passion simply heart-felt warmth to please the conservative masses?

Not that I want the LX to look like the LF-A, but there needs to be design cues (other than flaunting a big "L" on the grill) that claims "This is Lexus at it's Best," not "This is Lexus being very cautious to please rich old people."

The Pursuit of Perfection sometimes requires crossing the line. Look that the Audi Q7 for example: it crosses the line with its design, and it is distinguishable without being audacious, such as H2s or Escalades. Has the Pursuit been misdirected? Is Perfection boring or bland?

The Definition of Finesse: refinement or delicacy of workmanship, structure, or texture.

Finesse is a value that many lack and few possess. However, Finesse needs to be complemented with a innovation to be competitive in today's world. Otherwise, it fades into the shadows of the past with little effect on the future. Perhaps the mantra of Lexus design needs to change from L-Finesse to L-Ingenious.

Lexus needs to rediscover their aptitude in discovering and reinventing their place in the luxury segment. Part of luxury is not only flaunting technology or high price tags; it is also the idea that rare and beautiful things are hard to come by.

I see finesse in paintings and photographs and sculptures. It requires utmost refinement and delicacy to create a work of art. However, ingenuity is what makes a painting or photograph or sculpture stand out from the rest. Ingenuity is what differentiates Greatest Works of Art from just a work or art.

Lexus needs ingenuity to further progress themselves in this market.

The Pursuit of Perfection continues...

P.S. I might as well make this a single topic on Car Chat...
Yeah I say its worthy, because they are about to push me (a very long time loyal customer) right out the door into the lap of the Germans and I'm serious, I'm one simple step away and they've just confirmed my next SUV decision, actually it may be replaced with a wagon.

Last edited by Milla...; 04-05-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-05-07, 09:05 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is not a high volume sales vehicle.
And they are going to make darn sure of it aren't they. I suppose you tell that I'm very very disapointed.
Old 04-05-07, 09:05 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I have seen the debut of the production of my 2 favorite cars, yesterday (M3) and today this. I can not be more disappointed than this.

I love everything about current gen LX470 (aka Toyota Cygnus). This, tho, looks like nothing but a POS.

NO GOOD CAR LEFT!
Old 04-05-07, 09:09 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Is there passion in the design, or is that passion simply heart-felt warmth to please the conservative masses?
Lexus wants to maximize profits and please shareholders. Let me know when any of its competitors can go off road. You know like an SUV is meant to.

Q7??
Old 04-05-07, 09:14 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Lexus wants to maximize profits and please shareholders. Let me know when any of its competitors can go off road. You know like an SUV is meant to.

Q7??
Honestly, when i saw this Q7 picture on the same page as new LX, I instantly felt like I am back in 2007 again.

LX looks pretty bad.

we will just have to wait and see.
Old 04-05-07, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
And they are going to make darn sure of it aren't they. I suppose you tell that I'm very very disapointed.
My concern is this is a 70k+ car and it might lack "presence" (I'll wait until I see it in person for final judgment). The RR has presence, the Escalade (not my cup of tea) has presence. Even the Infintii QX56 while IMO, looking like a giant robot turd, looks like a giant robot turd, so it has presence. The G-Wagon has presence.

Looking at the Benz GL and now this, seems the Toyota Highlander was a breakthrough design.
Old 04-05-07, 09:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
This, tho, looks like nothing but a POS.

NO GOOD CAR LEFT!
lol...My soda went through my nose with this statement.. Lexus needs to keep the sheet used to reveal the car back on.

The SUV's remain bloated Toyota's imo.. My 02 Rav4 looks like a miniature GX470.. All I need is a Lexus badges to slap on it. Identity crisis for Lexus once again with this new LX...
Old 04-05-07, 09:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

I'd be disappointed even if this is just the next Land Cruiser

Let's hope the interior & the rest are more encouraging . . .
Old 04-05-07, 09:44 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Park this next to the modern Q7, the distinctive Range Rover, and the brash Escalade, and who is even going to notice this?

I guess it does have some sort of... old school charm...
Old 04-05-07, 09:50 AM
Milla...

^^^Maybe if you side swipe a few shopping carts in the supermarket parking lot it'll give it more character and make it stand out more.
Old 04-05-07, 09:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Let me know when any of its competitors can go off road. You know like an SUV is meant to.
I know a true SUV should be able to go off-road, but I doubt that even 5% of SUVs sold/bought in the U.S. even get to see a dirt road, much less go off-road.

And even if the SUV (Lexus or not) can go off-road, most luxury SUVs are primarily and functionaly made and designed to provide the maximum amount of cargo and passenger space in one vehicle.
Old 04-05-07, 09:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I know a true SUV should be able to go off-road, but I doubt that even 5% of SUVs sold/bought in the U.S. even get to see a dirt road, much less go off-road.

And even if the SUV (Lexus or not) can go off-road, most luxury SUVs are primarily and functionaly made and designed to provide the maximum amount of cargo and passenger space in one vehicle.
Maybe some other SUV's... but we are talking about Land Cruiser here and its brother - Lexus LX.

Lexus will probably make RX bigger which is what you want... or some other SUV bigger than RX, and still car based... but Land Cruiser stays Land Cruiser.

Quick Reply: Lexus Unveils All-New LX 570 @ 2007 NYIAS (official pics & specs pg. 9)