LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

New LX570...No HIDs!!! Sigh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 02:52 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
The LX570 is such an outstanding piece of hardware that the lack of HID lighting should not even be considered a deal breaker for the unit. Anyone using it as an excuse to avoid the 570 is not using sound judgement! <vbg>

Just look at this thing! See: http://www.pbase.com/greggebhardt/lx570
Yeah. I can't stand HID lights. I don't really think they make that big of a difference. Plus I am so used to normal lights that it wouldnt matter. I wonder what the replacement cost is on those as well.
Old 03-02-08, 03:22 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 515 Likes on 385 Posts

Best I can figure people like them cause they are pretty! Well designed light systems do not "have" to depend on HID.
Old 03-02-08, 03:56 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
And how do you find HIDs "better" than regular halogens or projectors? Is it the color temperature of the lighting? Is it greater distance and range?.
I am not sure if i can describe it but HIDs provide a more uniform spread of "daylight" across the road in front. Although there is a cutoff, the distance that you can see with HIDs is further, wider, and brighter than regular halogens. My G500 has pretty good halogens, but my Sienna HIDs (relfector type) is still a bit better at night. My old BMW M3 bi-Xenons were pretty darn good.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You also have to look at how each vehicle was developed. The latest-gen Escalade for instance was developed with input from athletes and celebrities. The Escalade is more about looks than practicality; more form than function. It's not even half as capable of a vehicle as the LX is.

Lexus also places a high priority on safety, and like I said earlier the benefits of adding HIDs may have been outweighed by the drawbacks.
Let's face it, the Lexus LX570 was developed for the on-road crowd as the primary target...for example, it has x-AHC instead of KDSS. Don't get me wrong, it is still capable off-road, but you can tell that Lexus wants to appeal to the high class people (who rarely off-roads). The difference between a LX570 and Land Cruiser is quite distinct (in a good way).

I doubt that Lexus could not somehow aim the HIDs properly with auto-leveling system. Like i said above, 2008 G500/55s do come with bi-Xenons and it is higher than LX570...and Mercedes is very well-known for it's safety engineering. (Of course, it would be nice if Mercedes focus more on reliability!) So, in the end, i do think that Toyota/Lexus either had to stick to it's past claim about HIDs safety or is cost cutting. I do NOT think that any vehicle is immune completely to cost cutting. It could very well be that Lexus chose to cut cost on HIDs (since regular projectors are already good enough) and use the money elsewhere (e.g. in their pocket).
Old 03-02-08, 04:00 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yeah. I can't stand HID lights. I don't really think they make that big of a difference. Plus I am so used to normal lights that it wouldnt matter. I wonder what the replacement cost is on those as well.
Have you really driven a car with HIDs?? I don't mean just one testdrive...i mean own a vehicle with HIDs and do an A to B comparison. I did it with my Sienna and my G500...both my wife and I prefer the HIDs. My old BMW M3 would kick butt all of my current cars.
Old 03-02-08, 06:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you ggebhardt for your thoughts on the LX570 headlamps. It sounds like regular projector lamps are more than good enough.

Like I said, I think there is a good reason HIDs are not offered on the 570. I've heard it's a safety issue, but who knows if that's the real reason.
Old 03-02-08, 06:54 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Have you really driven a car with HIDs?? I don't mean just one testdrive...i mean own a vehicle with HIDs and do an A to B comparison. I did it with my Sienna and my G500...both my wife and I prefer the HIDs. My old BMW M3 would kick butt all of my current cars.
I had an Escalade for a couple of weeks while I loaned my truck to my brother. I really didn't care for them. I can't stand the blue tint look in oncoming traffice and I really didn't notice all that much difference than regular halogen lights. I am sure there is some difference but to me I didn't think is was significant to warrant it especially the cost. The biggest problem I found was the light moved around a lot when encountering bumps and stuff it seemed like they were bouncing. I might like HID is they had non blue color hue....not sure if they do.

Let's face it, the Lexus LX570 was developed for the on-road crowd as the primary target
For the price of the LX570..I think they should be offered at least in a package. Wouldn't make a difference to my decision but to others it might. One possible reason it does not have it is perhaps the swiveling feature.

Toyota/Lexus either had to stick to it's past claim about HIDs safety
Is there a link to this. I would really love to read this if there was.

It could very well be that Lexus chose to cut cost on HIDs (since regular projectors are already good enough) and use the money elsewhere (e.g. in their pocket).
Call me crazy. But to me...I would rather them forget the xenon lamp and put the money into classy door sill protectors, leather wrapped grab handles, double stiched leather and seat armrest. I know that might sound rediculous but I would rather have those little details.
Old 03-02-08, 09:03 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I got the 2008 Lexus full line up brochure in the mail the other week and only noticed today that for the '08 LX570, it says HID headlights w/ AFS are STANDARD.
Old 03-02-08, 09:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I got the 2008 Lexus full line up brochure in the mail the other week and only noticed today that for the '08 LX570, it says HID headlights w/ AFS are STANDARD.
This is a Lexus printed brochure.
Old 03-02-08, 10:54 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Escalade for a couple of weeks while I loaned my truck to my brother. I really didn't care for them. I can't stand the blue tint look in oncoming traffice and I really didn't notice all that much difference than regular halogen lights. I am sure there is some difference but to me I didn't think is was significant to warrant it especially the cost. The biggest problem I found was the light moved around a lot when encountering bumps and stuff it seemed like they were bouncing. I might like HID is they had non blue color hue....not sure if they do.

For the price of the LX570..I think they should be offered at least in a package. Wouldn't make a difference to my decision but to others it might. One possible reason it does not have it is perhaps the swiveling feature.

Is there a link to this. I would really love to read this if there was.

Call me crazy. But to me...I would rather them forget the xenon lamp and put the money into classy door sill protectors, leather wrapped grab handles, double stiched leather and seat armrest. I know that might sound rediculous but I would rather have those little details.

I've had my 570 for more than 2 months now and my complaints are as follows:

1. Wish there was a way to raise the video screen from the front, the kids leave it down and if I get into the car and it lowers, I need to go back and get the remote to raise it.
2. Wish there was an AC outlet near the video jacks so I can easily plug in a video game for trips. I can still fish the cord thru, but I need more than 2 complaints.
3. A larger fuel tank...not better mileage, just a larger fuel tank. It would be nice to be able to go 500+ miles on a tank. I looked tonight and I am getting 14.5 MPG on this tank so far but have been driving with a heavy foot.
4. A big black car gets dirty fast and the guys at the local car wash must have washed it with a rock because I have a ton of scratches now.

The "no HID" doesn't bug, not a bit. These headlights are great, bright enough and may be able to light a match from 100 feet with the brights. The fact they turn to widen the range of light when you turn as well is great (I'm sure Lexus has an acronym for this feature)
The single stitching doesn't bug, it never crossed my mind until this thread.
Armrest is great, my arm fits on it and rests nicely.

The car has enough leather and wood in it to **** off Greenpeace and PETA at the same time.

Any other 570 owners have any gripes?
I'm just razzin' about the HID, stitching and armrest thing....
Old 03-03-08, 03:30 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I would like a larger gas tank also.

Choose your car wash carefully. I still refuse to let them do the interior as the jerk will vac the console untill it looks like it was in a train wreck! My LX470 wood on the console looks like I clean my gold shoe on it!

Could careless about the double stitching, complaining about this is like complaining about not having HID lighting. Just an excuse to complain!

Do not want to move the AC outlet to the front but an additional in the 2nd row would be OK. The rear does nicely for charging both the Nikon D3 and Thinkpad while heading to the next spot!
Old 03-03-08, 04:08 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Is the gas tank smaller than the previous model ?
Old 03-03-08, 03:01 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Specs show the LX570 is 24.6 gallons / 93 liters

I think the LX470 held 25.4 gallons

Slightly smaller than the 470 but not enough to make a difference.

I would like to see a 30-35 gallon tank.
Old 03-03-08, 06:12 PM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Specs show the LX570 is 24.6 gallons / 93 liters

I think the LX470 held 25.4 gallons

Slightly smaller than the 470 but not enough to make a difference.

I would like to see a 30-35 gallon tank.
30-35 , that would be great.

Is it room for an optional tank ?
Old 03-03-08, 08:50 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a Lexus printed brochure.

Yes, the one w/ all the models including the IS-F. It lists the options & standard features of each model.
Old 03-04-08, 04:27 AM
unknown2
Driver

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Are you sure? I doubt any manufacturer puts HIDs only on the highbeams.
100% positive!! Low beams sucks while the high beams are bright as hell!!

Quick Reply: New LX570...No HIDs!!! Sigh.