New LX570...No HIDs!!! Sigh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 07:11 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I would like a larger gas tank also.

Choose your car wash carefully. I still refuse to let them do the interior as the jerk will vac the console untill it looks like it was in a train wreck! My LX470 wood on the console looks like I clean my gold shoe on it!

Could careless about the double stitching, complaining about this is like complaining about not having HID lighting. Just an excuse to complain!

Do not want to move the AC outlet to the front but an additional in the 2nd row would be OK. The rear does nicely for charging both the Nikon D3 and Thinkpad while heading to the next spot!

Did you just plug a splitter in it so you can charge two things at once?
I dont want to load mine up too much.

I think that 2nd plug would be nice in the 2nd row and the screen thing drives my wife crazy.
Old 03-04-08, 12:56 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by trusso
Did you just plug a splitter in it so you can charge two things at once?
I dont want to load mine up too much.

I think that 2nd plug would be nice in the 2nd row and the screen thing drives my wife crazy.
I, like you, do not want to over load it. I use mostly for the T61p Thinkpad in the field in my jobsites. I just about set up office on the back tail gate. I mainly charge the Nikon while driving. I agree on the 2nd row thing for another outlet.

I need to look at the specs as I bet the inverters wattage is higher than we think.
Old 03-08-08, 12:22 AM
gijoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=trusso
Wish there was a way to raise the video screen from the front, the kids leave it down and if I get into the car and it lowers, I need to go back and get the remote to raise it.]

good news!!!

if you look at the center console, there is a button labled "disp" underneath the navi screen.
press the button and look at the navi screen. at the top, there is a button labeled "rear."
pressing that button on the screen either opens or closes the rear entertainment screen... hope this helps...

also, in regards to the HIDS... very interesting how some feel so strongly about the lx not having it... yet the ones with the car couldn't be happier and is a non-issue... just an observation...

Last edited by gijoe; 03-08-08 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-08-08, 06:04 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

WOW! You are right, just under my nose! The "rear" button on the DISP screen raises and lowers the rear DVD screen just as it was surely intended to do! Excellentr find!

And yes, HID lighting not required on the LX570.
Old 03-08-08, 08:08 AM
trusso
Pole Position

[QUOTE=gijoe;3341721]
Wish there was a way to raise the video screen from the front, the kids leave it down and if I get into the car and it lowers, I need to go back and get the remote to raise it.

good news!!!

if you look at the center console, there is a button labled "disp" underneath the navi screen.
press the button and look at the navi screen. at the top, there is a button labeled "rear."
pressing that button on the screen either opens or closes the rear entertainment screen... hope this helps...

also, in regards to the HIDS... very interesting how some feel so strongly about the lx not having it... yet the ones with the car couldn't be happier and is a non-issue... just an observation...
My wife says "thank you".
I ran out to the garages and told her (I was going to take credit for it but had to eventually tell the truth)
Thanks GI Joe!!

I agree about the headlights. I have never felt they were inadequate, now even being hyper-sensitive about HID's after this thread they are fine.
The biggest critics of the 570 are people who read the brochure and compare stats.
I still feel that for what I am looking for in a car, it's the best car and the best deal.
Old 03-08-08, 09:48 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

[/thread]
[/lock]
Old 03-09-08, 11:16 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gijoe
Not exactly apples to apples but...

we were a little disappointed when we bought our 2006 LX470 because Toyota/Lexus updated the tailights to LED's but did not give us the option of HID headlamps.

That certainly didn't stop us from buying our LX and while the standard halogen projector lamps are quite good on the LX, I would still honestly prefer HID's and I'm perplexed why Toyota/Lexus didn't make that change when they brought out the 200 series.

Would that stop us from upgrading in a few years? Probably not in and of itself but as a consumer, I would prefer that the vehicle come with HID's.
Old 03-10-08, 02:32 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Not exactly apples to apples but...

we were a little disappointed when we bought our 2006 LX470 because Toyota/Lexus updated the tailights to LED's but did not give us the option of HID headlamps.

That certainly didn't stop us from buying our LX and while the standard halogen projector lamps are quite good on the LX, I would still honestly prefer HID's and I'm perplexed why Toyota/Lexus didn't make that change when they brought out the 200 series.

Would that stop us from upgrading in a few years? Probably not in and of itself but as a consumer, I would prefer that the vehicle come with HID's.

Cant you put HID's in ?
I have a buddy that put HID's in everything he has.
Old 03-10-08, 02:41 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

You can use aftermarket HIDS, but the spread pattern won't be as good as OEM, which can be a problem for on-coming traffic.
Old 03-10-08, 10:41 PM
trusso
Pole Position

mount a couple of monster PIAA's up front...
Old 03-10-08, 11:25 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haha. 2 on the grill and 4 on the roof rack.
Old 03-11-08, 07:56 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Cant you put HID's in ?
I have a buddy that put HID's in everything he has.
Yes you can but...
1) It won't be legal in the US.
2) The overall light output would likely improve but the beam pattern will also likely not be right.
3) I'm an OEM guy and
4) If the HID's you've installed croak, you're stuck dealing with some random manufacturer rather than Lexus.
Old 03-11-08, 07:57 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

mount a couple of monster PIAA's up front...
I'd love to be stuck in front of that while behind the wheel of my NSX
Old 03-11-08, 09:55 AM
trusso
Pole Position

I'd love to be stuck in front of that while behind the wheel of my NSX
What I'm saying is that if there isn't sufficient light for driving, mount a couple of big PIAA's for night driving. I wasn't thinking that those lights are great for "in-town" or even highway driving, but maybe trips to the mountains or anywhere that someone needs that extra light.
If you were in front of me Da Hapa, I'd turn 'em off to check out the NSX !!
Old 03-11-08, 09:59 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Yes you can but...
1) It won't be legal in the US.
2) The overall light output would likely improve but the beam pattern will also likely not be right.
3) I'm an OEM guy and
4) If the HID's you've installed croak, you're stuck dealing with some random manufacturer rather than Lexus.
I've had some very "not road compliant" cars that I've gotten pulled over in and the police dig the cars most of the time (still got the ticket for what I did but not for the "non-compliance" of the car, but I need to tour the officer around to show them everything because they love it).
HID's go out?? get a new one. I'm just thinking about the reason for this thread where people don't want to buy a car because of no HID's.
Most cars I have are plain old stock, makes for much less problems!!

Quick Reply: New LX570...No HIDs!!! Sigh.