LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 off road capability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 09:28 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ground clearance for TLC100 is 9.8 in...and i have confirmed this with my brother's stock LX470.
Stock LX470 is 9.8 in. The stock LX 570 is 8.9 in.
Old 02-02-08, 09:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
spwolf,

So, as a toyota dealership owner, you do have an interest in hyping up the TLC...because everyone has gotta have bread on the table, right?

Do you guys have Toyota Land Cruiser Prados over there?? It's the same as GX here in US.

When did i say that the TLC100 was better off-road?? It depends on terrain. Crawl control is pretty cool tool to have. However, when it comes to terrains that require good angles, i think that TLC100 has the advantage.

I don't know about Europe TLCs...however, TLCs everywhere else (Australia, US) have departure angle of 20 degrees. THIS IS FROM OFFICIAL TOYOTA SPECS. Why is that hard for YOU to understand??

KDSS may be taller in Europe for whatever weird reason you can come up with, but everywhere else, it is NOT. Period. FACT.

So, by your link, the KDSS vehicle is even higher than AHC in HIGH mode...that does not strike you as strange??!!

As for tire sizes between 285/50/20 vs. 285/60/18...the circumference officially is is 0.6" different...diameter is 0.3"...radius differ by a whopping 0.1"!!! Wow...big difference...and how does that affect what we're talking about??? So, again, NO SIGNFICANT DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TIRES. Learn to read the numbers before posting!

Ground clearance for TLC100 is 9.8 in...and i have confirmed this with my brother's stock LX470.

Of course, you can compare wheelbase! When the wheelbase & height are the same while the overhangs lengthened, this means that approach & departure angles suffer. It's not rocket science...i am not sure why you are having trouble understanding this. Who knows? I know...because this has been much debated when you talk about aftmarket bumpers. And for that, you can't even get one now that the bumpers are "integrated" with the body. So much for aftermarket mods!

I have crawled all over it and drove the new TLC200. It seems to me that you're trying real hard to sell this vehicle and ignoring physical facts and basic math. I would assume that someone who owns a dealership would have more credentials and honesty. I stand corrected.
you are the most stubborn person I have ever come across in my whole life. Yes, people from Eastern europe are all over club lexus looking at my hyping of European LC.

Lets agree on this - when all of the sites update info to match what is actualy happening, I want you to admit you were wrong and I was right. Is that ok?

If not, I will admit I was wrong.

I am claiming this:
There is an difference between KDSS and AHC systems on LC200. KDSS has 32/25/24 angles, and AHC is similar with "high" position (not the same, slightly ess). Difference in height comes from taller suspension, which is why vehicles that are exactly the same in every other aspect, different in height - KDSS is taller by 45mm.

Lets check in an month, and you will see I was right and you were wrong. Or vice versa, if everyone at Toyota Europe lies which I kind of doubt, hah.

As to the ground clearance, it was different here. UK had 256mm, ours were 225mm and Aussies had 205mm with LC100. Many different versions I guess. LC120 never had KDSS here, it did have hydraulic back suspension though.

And actually, due to KDSS - LC200 will kick LC100's **** in real life off roading since it has 105mm bigger wheel articulation which is really an big difference when offroading - it keeps your wheels connected to the ground, no matter what the angles are.

You are writing about car you probably never sat in, let alone off roaded with. We maintain 200+ LC's, have 3 of our own, are the region with largest % of LC's sold in complete Europe (in terms of %, 20x more LC sales than USA). I am telling you info straight from the mouth of most competent technical person in the region.

Believe what you want, we will see what happens in the month, all right?
Old 02-02-08, 09:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

p.s. Parts of Europe dont get AHC version at all, since Dunlop says it cant guarantee 20" tires wont get damaged in constant driving through our rough roads.

If they ever build AHC version with smaller wheels, we might get it.
Old 02-02-08, 10:58 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
KDSS system is more advanced (a lot) than one in GX, it actually links front and back wheels.
Originally Posted by spwolf
YOU WERE RIGHT about KDSS in GX - but we dont have GX in Europe, which is why I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT. However, GX still has a lot smaller wheel articulation than LC200.
Interesting...you claim that the KDSS in the TLC is a lot better than GX's...but, then you admitted that you don't know too much about GX. If you don't know something, then why make such a bold statement?? And then you went on to talk about wheel articulation...how do you know THAT if you don't know much about GX????

And we're supposed to believe all of what you said??

Sure, i am willing to wait a month...but i think that you need to get ready a big apology to me. My statement is simple...TLC with KDSS has 20 degreee departure angle.
Old 02-27-08, 06:15 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk about approach/departure angles. Anybody that is serious about wheeling their LX570/LC200 is going to lop that overhang off and put on a high clearance bumper. I suspect the design of the rear was due to newer crash standards. Because it has 3rd row seats, it has to have better crush zones.

"Offset Rear Collision--
The new FMVSS 301 regulation is more severe than the previous standard. This regulation began its phase-in during September 2006 and must be applied to all production vehicles after September 1, 2008. In the new requirements for the FMVSS 301 standard, a 1,360 kg (2,992 lbs.) deformable barrier strikes 70% of the vehicle's width at 50 mph. In contrast, the previous FMVSS 301 used a 1,814 kg (3,991 lbs.) flat rigid barrier that struck the full width of the vehicle at 30 mph. The new standard requires more body energy absorption than before. "

Also, the crash barrier was placed 2" lower than prior to simulate a braking vehicle.

More here.
Attached Thumbnails LX570 off road capability?-image058cy9.jpg  
Old 02-27-08, 06:28 PM
tigmd99
Racer

The problem is that the bumpers are now integrated/shaped into the body...so, it's not as simple as the previous gen where you can just take off the square bumper and slap on ARB bumper. The bumpers now curve with the body, which makes it difficult for aftermarket bumper companies to make a reasonable priced bumper replacement.
Old 02-27-08, 06:45 PM
Hoser
Driver

Yes, more difficult but still doable. Likely, it'll be a matter of trimming the existing flexible corner body piece and adding a rigid lower bumper section.
Old 02-28-08, 08:54 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Doable?? Sure, but it would be cost prohibitive...thus, not many company will do it for one or two crazy Lexus owners who want to take it off-road...i am having the same problem with my Mercedes (not many people out there offer good off-road stuff for luxury SUVs). Therefore, you will need to find your own good welder/fabricator to do the job, which can be quite costly since it's a singular job.

In addition, the last crossmember of the LX570/TLC has an integrated tow hitch. I am not sure how you're gonna design a strong (aka steel) aftermarket bumper around that! In essence, the last crossmember IS the bumper...the bumper from factory is just cosmetic plastic overlaying it. I take it back...i don't think that it's even doable! Yeah, you can attach an aftermarket bumper to the last crossmember, but that will only make your departure angle much worst and, cosmetically, it would look really bad.

Last edited by tigmd99; 02-28-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 10:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Subscribing to this thread
Old 02-28-08, 11:23 AM
tigmd99
Racer

BTW, the LX570's x-AHC suspension does increase wheel articulation according to the brochure. So, the LX570's system is not that far behind the KDSS system in the TLC.
Old 02-28-08, 06:49 PM
Hoser
Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Doable?? Sure, but it would be cost prohibitive...thus, not many company will do it for one or two crazy Lexus owners who want to take it off-road...i am having the same problem with my Mercedes (not many people out there offer good off-road stuff for luxury SUVs). Therefore, you will need to find your own good welder/fabricator to do the job, which can be quite costly since it's a singular job.

In addition, the last crossmember of the LX570/TLC has an integrated tow hitch. I am not sure how you're gonna design a strong (aka steel) aftermarket bumper around that! In essence, the last crossmember IS the bumper...the bumper from factory is just cosmetic plastic overlaying it. I take it back...i don't think that it's even doable! Yeah, you can attach an aftermarket bumper to the last crossmember, but that will only make your departure angle much worst and, cosmetically, it would look really bad.
I've already seen one rear bumper offering for the LC200 by an Australian company. It was ugly but it was a start and not terribly expensive. Regarding custom bumpers, I have priced custom bumpers in the past and they were not much different compared to off the shelf bumpers for the LX/LC100.

About the bumper/crossmember/towbar... as you know, the 03-07 LX470 also had the integrated hitch receiver. That doesn't mean it needs to be used. Both ARB and Kaymar both have bumper offerings that have a rated hitch. Slee and 4x4 labs also make bumpers with receivers though not rated.

Also, remember the last crossbar is only 4-5" tall while the plastic bumper extends a few inches below that. So clearance with an aftermarket bumper will not suffer.
Old 02-28-08, 07:24 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Well, we will see...making a good looking bumper will be very tough.
Old 03-05-08, 10:16 PM
Twstrchasr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in all of this is the LX570's non removable running boards . The LC's are very easily removed but the different design of the LX's severly limit some aspects of the LX's off-roadability. The rb's design clearly shows where the LX's intentions truely are...On road, not off !! This also applies to the GX as well. Neither the GX or LX are intended to be the off-road mountain goats their Toyota (LC and 4Runner) relatives are.
Old 03-06-08, 04:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Twstrchasr
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in all of this is the LX570's non removable running boards . The LC's are very easily removed but the different design of the LX's severly limit some aspects of the LX's off-roadability. The rb's design clearly shows where the LX's intentions truely are...On road, not off !! This also applies to the GX as well. Neither the GX or LX are intended to be the off-road mountain goats their Toyota (LC and 4Runner) relatives are.
Yep, I looked at my 570 running boards last night and the world came crashing down on me when I realised how hard it will be to remove them!

So far I have not hit anything but have decided to let them be and if they get bashed enough times they will, sooner or later, fall off!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 03-06-08 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-06-08, 08:37 AM
Hoser
Driver

Are the LX running boards/rocker panel an entirely different piece than the LC rocker panels or is it just on overlay?

Quick Reply: LX570 off road capability?