LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Dunlops on my LX570

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 01:27 PM
rspjr05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Not saying they are bad but been on Michelins for the last 5 vehicles and it does not look like they make a 285/50R20!

Also anyone got the OEM wheels chromed yet or does someone make 20X8.5" for the LX570 bolt pattern?
I have the Michelins on mine. The service guy at our dealership however, was all for the the Dunlops. I almost swapped mine for Dunlops - I am happy with Michelins so far although I have only 1300 miles on mine
All the best ..
Old 06-04-08, 03:30 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 516 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeivan
Greg, thanks, I appreciate the feedback. It sounds pretty subtle but still.............., those are two issues I am having. My 570 ride is great but seems a bit "floaty" and the Dunlops smack every contruction joint. My tire monitor says 34# and my tire gauges says 32.5# so they are not over inflated. Just trying to get it right for the big upcoming road trip.
I spent good money on a top of the line air gauge and my Lexus indicated pressures are all over the place. I lost faith in the system except for the warning it gives when tire pressures are SO different it triggers the warning.

Then we have nitrogen v.s. air for inflation
Old 06-04-08, 10:18 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dunlop guy

Originally Posted by rspjr05
The service guy at our dealership however, was all for the the Dunlops. All the best ..
rspjr, I would be interested in reading why your service rep was "all for the Dunlops". What about them did he prefer?
Old 06-04-08, 06:52 PM
mse
Driver School Candidate

My salesman was fairly adamant that I would have to put the exact same
tires on my LX570 when it comes time to replace them. He said the reason
is that the tire pressure sensors won't work correctly with any other tire.
I didn't understand how this could be as long as the new tires were installed
correctly but I didn't press the issue.

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks
Old 06-04-08, 07:14 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mse

Thanks
Another lying/misinformed salesman. He'll probably also tell you that you'll have to purchase your tires from the stealership too. I have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System on my '08 M5 and I can put any tires on it I want. It has nothing to do with the brand of tire. When it's time to change I'm going from ContiSport to Michelin PS2's.
Old 06-05-08, 03:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mse

Thanks
Air pressure is air pressure and the sensors will not know the difference. I can tell you to take you vehicle to a reputable shop as one of my sensors had to be replaced after it was damaged by the guy removing the tire from the rim. He was quite careful noT to scratch or scar anything but he destroyed the pressure sensor and it had to be replaced by Lexus.

For the guy who called the dealer "Stealership", I priced tires at 4-5 places and my dealer was only $40 higher than they were and by the time I replaced the pressure sensor, it would have been better to take them to the dealer in the first place.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 06-05-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-05-08, 08:39 AM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

For the guy who called the dealer "Stealership", I priced tires at 4-5 places and my dealer was only $40 higher than they were and by the time I replaced the pressure sensor, it would have been better to take them to the dealer in the first place.
It was I. Well they say Lexus service is one of the main reasons the LX is worth the premium over the LandCruiser. All I know is that with the German brands you'll pay over $2grand for $1500 worth of tires-that's BMW, Audi, MB and Porsche from personal experience. Encouraging to hear your rather different experience though.

It seems one thing never changes though- the lies/misinformation given out by the vast majority of car salesmen.
Old 06-05-08, 12:37 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carl L
It was I. Well they say Lexus service is one of the main reasons the LX is worth the premium over the LandCruiser. All I know is that with the German brands you'll pay over $2grand for $1500 worth of tires-that's BMW, Audi, MB and Porsche from personal experience. Encouraging to hear your rather different experience though.

It seems one thing never changes though- the lies/misinformation given out by the vast majority of car salesmen.

I am not saying the Lexus dealership is perfect but when you purchase a near $80k vehicle from them, you can not expect service and parts to be free. I have had nothing but the nicest of care from Lexus of Jacksonville. These people have been as good as it gets. I also get an Infinity serviced and the Infinity people are horrible! Lexus of Jacksonville's snack bar in the am is worth just visiting even if you do not need service
Old 06-05-08, 03:04 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

I am not saying the Lexus dealership is perfect but when you purchase a near $80k vehicle from them, you can not expect service and parts to be free.
I understand your point, but the BMW free maintenance plan covers everything but tires and comes in particularly handy on my car which at $100k has a lot of expensive parts.

Now, BMW is the only major manufacturer to offer this so when comparing the LX570 to the Range Rover and GL550 this does not factor into the equation. What does is Lexus' reputation for reliability and customer service hence my decision to buy my first Japanese passenger vehicle.

Before I take delivery I'll see how the OEM tires held up for you guys and have the car specced accordingly.
Old 06-06-08, 06:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

according to tirerack the michelin latitudes are rated #2 in its segment, not bad for an OEM tire. Avon Tech ST is #1, and is only $150 a tire, michelins are $280 a tire. Both tires are available in LX570 size. No ratings for the Dunlops yet

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...peed_rating=(Y)
Old 06-06-08, 09:31 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Even without the Michelins, one of the pleasant surprises with the 570 was it's willingness to corner. When you first get behind the wheel of a LX570 it seems way bigger than it is but driving it is a real pleasure. I had three LX470s prior to the 570.
Old 06-06-08, 02:45 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Even without the Michelins, one of the pleasant surprises with the 570 was it's willingness to corner. When you first get behind the wheel of a LX570 it seems way bigger than it is but driving it is a real pleasure. I had three LX470s prior to the 570.
Greg, so you have noticed a big improvement in handling/bodycontrol from the LX470? Do you keep the car is Sport, or Normal? I'm assuming you steer clear of Comfort.
Old 06-06-08, 04:31 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carl L
Greg, so you have noticed a big improvement in handling/bodycontrol from the LX470? Do you keep the car is Sport, or Normal? I'm assuming you steer clear of Comfort.
Sorry to dissapoint but for most driving, comfort rules. When in the mountains sport rules. Handling, for me, seems greatly improved. The extra power and a transmission that near reads your mind put the frosting on the cake for me.
Old 06-06-08, 06:12 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to dissapoint but for most driving, comfort rules. When in the mountains sport rules. Handling, for me, seems greatly improved. The extra power and a transmission that near reads your mind put the frosting on the cake for me.
No disappointment here other than the fact you currently have the car in your garage and I do not.

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to learn as much as I can and pleased that the car is working out so well for you
Old 06-08-08, 09:53 PM
mse
Driver School Candidate

I am not saying the Lexus dealership is perfect but when you purchase a near $80k vehicle from them, you can not expect service and parts to be free. I have had nothing but the nicest of care from Lexus of Jacksonville. These people have been as good as it gets. I also get an Infinity serviced and the Infinity people are horrible! Lexus of Jacksonville's snack bar in the am is worth just visiting even if you do not need service
Thanks for the reassurance about the tires. My Dunlops do tend to be noisier
than I expected on some surfaces. They drive ok though. I have yet to feel
unsure in handling the lx570.

I also have to say that so far my dealership's service is above anything I've
ever experienced. They pay great attention to detail to get things right the
first time. The folks treat you like the employees of a fine hotel. They really
want you to be satisfied and comfortable. This is a far cry from other
dealerships I've been to where the employees almost act like you're
bothering them when you ask a question. I hate to admit it but I guess
the more you spend, the better the service. I'm also reserving final judgment
until something goes wrong. It's not about how you're treated when things
are going well, it's how a company handles problems that shows what they're