LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

08 Lancruiser v 08 LX570

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 05:14 PM
AzleHorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drove the '08 Landcruiser today...it was awesome. I got it up to 100 w/o trying on the George Bush Tollway in Plano, TX. The features are pretty good but the ride was incredible.

I walked from the Toyota Dealership right next door and test drove the LX570 immediately afterwards. I gotta say the LX just has an edge in overall feel. I don't think it has to do with the gadgets, it's everything...cooled seats, nicer leather, front/side cameras, awesome steering wheel, power 2nd row, and power fold away 3rd row.

I put my name on the wait list after driving it. Keep in mind now that I've tested the GL550, Sequoia Platinum, Land Cruiser, Audi Q7, and Volvo XC-90. Nothing beats the LX IMO. It's worth the extra $10k over the LC. And definitely worth the extra $15K over the Sequoia Platinum.

Looks like the wait time will be up to 4 months...
Old 02-22-08, 06:07 PM
AzleHorn
Driver School Candidate

Just thought you guys would like these

Old 02-22-08, 06:41 PM
flyfishman
Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Yeah, but someone who buys a LX570 can easily switch out the rims and use 18" rims from TLC. You canNOT add air suspension to the TLC to make it have better clearance. With Crawl Control (and how effective i hear it is), the lack of wheel articulation is not going to hurt it as bad as high centering yourself or tearing off your bumpers!
I would rather have the option of a lift and AHC does not afford that possibility without dismantling the entire system. Just don't like depending on AHC on a remote trail (the 470 has more than its fair share of issues with generation 1 of AHC), but that's strictly my opinion.

Obviously, perfect world would be KDSS and AHC, but there must be some reason Toyota is not going that route.
Old 02-22-08, 07:24 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

flyfishman, good point! But then again, i wonder how hard it is to lift a vehicle with KDSS???? I would imagine that it would be OK in the rear, but the front IFS with KDSS may not be compatible with an aftermarket lift. I don't know...just throwing it out there.
Old 02-22-08, 07:28 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
So they both suck. I think the Landcruiser has been wheel articulation with the KDSS which helps make up for a bit shorter departure angle. Toyota make the truck a little bit longer but kept the wheelbase the same.
I don't see how KDSS would make up for the departure angle. KDSS does not lift the vehicle. It would be nice if the TLC has the rear air suspension as in the 4runner/GX470. And we already know that rear air suspension + KDSS works because you get this combo in the GX470 Sport. Now, that would be a cool idea because the departure angle on the TLC (as you see above vs. other vehicles) is it's major weakness. Rear air suspension would solve this issue and help with towing.

This brings up another point about my previous post...why is it that the GX470 (and Sport with KDSS) does not come with 4-wheel air/hydraulic suspension?? Could it be that KDSS suspension is NOT compatible with an air suspension?? That is, we know that the rear axle is OK. But KDSS front suspension IFS may be the limiting factor in aftermarket lifts and the reason why Toyota did not install AHC in the TLC KDSS.

Yeah, Toyota "officially" said that it wants it's TLC200 to be reliable all around the world and that is why AHC is not available on the TLC. Well, TLC overseas IS IN FACT available with AHC, at least in Europe. And didn't the previous gen TLC100 have AHC in it's later life? So, doesn't that make Toyota's "official" reason kinda bogus?? I don't know...but this sure brings to mind Lexus's weird excuse for no HIDS on LX570.

Last edited by tigmd99; 02-22-08 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 09:16 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flyfishman
. Just don't like depending on AHC on a remote trail (the 470 has more than its fair share of issues with generation 1 of AHC), but that's strictly my opinion.
One of the engineers was quoted in a magazine as saying that the Landcruiser was not equipped with AHC because it needs to have ultimate reliability and must be easily servicable in the field. I do agree that there has been some issues with the AHC
Old 02-23-08, 07:47 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked and my 570 doesnt have that dark part on top of the rear armrest, it's 2 solid tan plastic pieces. (one for the storage and one for the cupholders)

Have any other 570 owners found where the remote for the entertainment unit fits? My Son found that there is a true "click in" place for it in the rear armrest.
It's been sliding around the car for the past couple of months.
Old 02-23-08, 09:20 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

From the feature article http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/110706.html

This lets the cylinders move the fluid fore and aft, and decouples the outer anti-roll bar link to increase suspension travel. An electrically triggered disconnect may be used on the Lexus version (LX570) of the Land Cruiser, but Kanai defends the mechanical system by saying, “Given this vehicle’s market and driving environments, we needed a system with the highest reliability possible that could be serviced easily in primitive settings, if necessary.”

Power for the
Old 02-23-08, 06:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I just cannot get over the 31/20/21 (appr, depart, breakover) angles.

Middleeast Toyota gives the Land cruiser at 25 degree breakover
Old 02-23-08, 08:31 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Toyota specs have always been fishy...they change specs to suite their purpose. For example, 4runner's ground clearance is 9.1" while the identical GX470 is 8.3"...btw, the right answer is 8.3". Or take the 4runner's breakover angle which magically grew from 22 degrees (2003 specs) to 28 degrees (2006-2008) despite no changes underneath. Thus, IMHO, Lexus specs have been more accurate than Toyota.
Old 02-24-08, 07:42 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How's the ride?

Originally Posted by AzleHorn
Test drove the '08 Landcruiser today...it was awesome. I got it up to 100 w/o trying on the George Bush Tollway in Plano, TX. The features are pretty good but the ride was incredible.

I walked from the Toyota Dealership right next door and test drove the LX570 immediately afterwards. I gotta say the LX just has an edge in overall feel.

Does the LX ride better than the LC?

MOTORWEEK is going to report on their test of the LC next week.
Old 02-24-08, 08:45 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 504 Likes on 381 Posts

[QUOTE=trusso;3301691
Have any other 570 owners found where the remote for the entertainment unit fits? My Son found that there is a true "click in" place for it in the rear armrest.
It's been sliding around the car for the past couple of months.[/QUOTE]

In mine, there is without a doubt a dedicated spot inside the 2nd row armrest. The remote drops into and clicks into place. No sliding around
Old 02-25-08, 08:14 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

This brings up another point about my previous post...why is it that the GX470 (and Sport with KDSS) does not come with 4-wheel air/hydraulic suspension??
In addition to making it simpler and cutting costs, it might also be because the GX already has pretty good approach/departure angles - in fact even in "normal" mode the GX approach/departure angles are only 1 degree less then the LX in "high" mode.

GX in "normal" mode compared to LX in "normal" mode:
approach GX 31 deg, LX 30 deg
departure GX 25 deg, LX 23 deg

GX in "high" mode compared to LX in "high" mode:
approach GX 30 deg, LX 32 deg
departure GX 29 deg, LX 26 deg

(stats from my '03 brochures for both)

Last edited by GatorGreg; 02-25-08 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 09:21 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Good point Gatorgreg.
Old 02-27-08, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Yes, GX has won 4x4 of the year its first two years out, not bad for a luxury SUV.

Quick Reply: 08 Lancruiser v 08 LX570